An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parish Councils

princessgianna

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1876156' date='May 27 2009, 03:52 AM']inclusion of the Confiteor),[/quote]
:yes: Maybe I'm weird, but I find myself hoping every week that we'll have the Confiteor. Of course, I also find myself hoping we'll have the Kyrie in Greek.

This sounds horrible, but I can't wait till the 60 year old liberal women on the parish council and my Vatican II loving priest reach the age where they physically can't do anything around the parish.

I'm looking forward to getting a newly ordained priest and watching the parish council fill with young, fresh, orthodox blood.

Once that happens I'll stop travelling half an hour each Sunday to my Cathedral.

Also, adding on to what Resurexxi said, I love it when the priest uses the confiteor and the Roman Canon for the Mass.

It'd be great if the Vatican got rid off all these options.

[quote name='OraProMe' post='1876501' date='May 27 2009, 05:58 AM']my Vatican II loving priest[/quote]

I love Vatican II... interpreted in light of Tradition.

You might do well not to fall into hermeneutic of rupture in regards to the interpretation of Dignitatis Humanae.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1876179' date='May 26 2009, 09:00 PM']I don't think EMHCs should be used at regular Sunday Masses.[/quote]
I agree. It is an abuse to use Extraordinary Ministers every Sunday.

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1876212' date='May 26 2009, 09:13 PM']me either. but it would take awhile for 600 people to receive communion from 1 priest...[/quote]
More time to pray!

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1876524' date='May 27 2009, 08:17 AM']More time to pray![/quote]

:yes:

CatherineM

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1876524' date='May 27 2009, 07:17 AM']More time to pray![/quote]

Our church uses 8 EM's at a mass that has less than 50 people. We hardly get through one song before we are done. It's like talking to the wall though to change it. Hopefully our new Basilian priests coming in will put things right.

Groo the Wanderer

Our pastoral council serves to advise the pastor and to help him to implement what he wants done. He and his two associates always attend meetings. The two deacons attend when they are able. The council never seeks to impose their will on Father and recognizes that all ministries in the parish draw their legitimacy from him.

As for the seven weekend and the daily morning Masses, we used to have a Director of Liturgy and Music on the parish staff that coordinated everything. When she retired, nobody including the pastor realized just how much she actually did. As such, our pastor decided for now to have lay volunteers handle the various aspects of the liturgy. Not a liturgy council, since we all rarely meet at once. A different volunteer heads up and coordinates for Father: music and choirs, lectors (me woohoo), alter servers, EMHCs, ushers, and church decorations (altar cloths, liturgical colors, flowers, etc). Now double all that since we have English and Spanish Masses.

There is a finance council, but nobody seems to know what they do. All we know is the parish runs in the black every year. There is the paid staff that meets every week which consists of the three priests, the DRE, the CYM, the administrator, the data entry clerk (with 5000+ familes we need one just to keep all the forms up to date in the computer), the maintenance supervisor, and whomever is invited from other groups.

As far as I am concerned, parish councils exist solely to assist the pastor in his ministry in the parish. Once they deviate and puff themselves up with pride thinking they have any power of their own, they should be disbanded. They are not the shepherds, the pastor is. Werd.

LouisvilleFan

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1876631' date='May 27 2009, 02:59 PM']There is a finance council, but nobody seems to know what they do. All we know is the parish runs in the black every year.[/quote]

Would any of them be known by the name of Corleone? :detective:

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1876635' date='May 27 2009, 03:08 PM']Would any of them be known by the name of Corleone? :detective:[/quote]
:lol_above: