An Old School Catholic Message Board

Parish Councils

princessgianna

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1873653' date='May 23 2009, 12:43 AM']When I have spare time... as in after I finish my degree in five years or so, I hope to join something like the liturgy committee at my parish. I think that would be really cool, maybe having the chance to make a noticeable difference, even a more reverent Mass.....[/quote]
If you have a big parish a council is a necessity, but I see no use whatsoever for a liturgy committee. That is the job of the priest with help from the organist.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1873971' date='May 23 2009, 02:31 PM']If you have a big parish a council is a necessity, but I see no use whatsoever for a liturgy committee. That is the job of the priest with help from the organist.[/quote]
We've got and organ (a very nice one, actually), but not organist. :(

I actually have no idea what they do, but I'd like to at least attend a few meetings to see if there's good that could be done from within the group.

Spending a lot of time with many priests, I think a parish council is almost always needed as well as liturgy committees or at least a few people to help set up liturgy sheets. Having to do them myself at school, it is very time consuming and a pain sometimes. The days of three or four priests in a rectory are over in a wide majority of places. A good council is only as good as the priest makes it. I also think more important then that is a good finance council. Proper teaching can help the parish become a dynamic and strong parish with all these people working together under the priest.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Spence06' post='1875509' date='May 26 2009, 03:03 AM']Spending a lot of time with many priests, I think a parish council is almost always needed as well as liturgy committees or at least a few people to help set up liturgy sheets. Having to do them myself at school, it is very time consuming and a pain sometimes. The days of three or four priests in a rectory are over in a wide majority of places. A good council is only as good as the priest makes it. I also think more important then that is a good finance council. Proper teaching can help the parish become a dynamic and strong parish with all these people working together under the priest.[/quote]
You don't need liturgy sheets, you need the organist to pick the music and the priest to fill them in on any special details of the particular Mass.

CatherineM

Our liturgy committee basically changes the banners and such when the color of the year changes. When I was younger, that was a sacristan's job.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1875931' date='May 26 2009, 08:54 PM']You don't need liturgy sheets, you need the organist to pick the music and the priest to fill them in on any special details of the particular Mass.[/quote]

A lot of priest like to use binders and although most of it you can get online, there is a lot of particular work that needs to be done.

[quote name='Spence06' post='1875509' date='May 26 2009, 02:03 AM']Spending a lot of time with many priests, I think a parish council is almost always needed as well as liturgy committees or at least a few people to help set up liturgy sheets. Having to do them myself at school, it is very time consuming and a pain sometimes. The days of three or four priests in a rectory are over in a wide majority of places. A good council is only as good as the priest makes it. I also think more important then that is a good finance council. Proper teaching can help the parish become a dynamic and strong parish with all these people working together under the priest.[/quote]

Maybe if the newer form of the Mass were always celebrated with the options that would make it have the most continuity with the older form (e.g. Eucharistic Prayer I, inclusion of the Confiteor), there would be a need for liturgy committees.

Also, instead of hymns, why don't we use the Gregorian Propers? They are the actual music of the Roman Rite, you know.

loveletslive

i think a liturgy committee is needed in some parishes. my parish has 5 sunday Masses so there is a TON of coordinating of servers, music, EMHCs, readers to be done that our priests don't have time to do.

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1876161' date='May 26 2009, 10:53 PM']EMHCs[/quote]

I don't think EMHCs should be used at regular Sunday Masses.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='loveletslive' post='1876161' date='May 26 2009, 11:53 PM']i think a liturgy committee is needed in some parishes. my parish has 5 sunday Masses so there is a TON of coordinating of servers, music, EMHCs, readers to be done that our priests don't have time to do.[/quote]
Thats why a parish has secreteries. You don't need a committee to do a sunday Mass.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1876156' date='May 26 2009, 11:52 PM']Maybe if the newer form of the Mass were always celebrated with the options that would make it have the most continuity with the older form (e.g. Eucharistic Prayer I, inclusion of the Confiteor), there would be a need for liturgy committees.

Also, instead of hymns, why don't we use the Gregorian Propers? They are the actual music of the Roman Rite, you know.[/quote]

I think there is nothing wrong with using Gregorian music but not to the exclusion of the more modern music. Which at some point, all music is secular and then accepted as "sacred" in a few centuries. so ya never know.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Spence06' post='1876149' date='May 26 2009, 11:48 PM']A lot of priest like to use binders and although most of it you can get online, there is a lot of particular work that needs to be done.[/quote]
No not unless you are doing a big affair, its a Mass not a performance.

[quote name='Spence06' post='1876188' date='May 26 2009, 11:01 PM']I think there is nothing wrong with using Gregorian music but not to the exclusion of the more modern music. Which at some point, all music is secular and then accepted as "sacred" in a few centuries. so ya never know.[/quote]

I think modern music is good for use in liturgy, too. Modern polyphonic and symphonic compositions, that is.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1876191' date='May 27 2009, 12:02 AM']No not unless you are doing a big affair, its a Mass not a performance.[/quote]

Why would using a lighter, more organized binder mean its a performance?

The sacramentary is still used on the altar but I know especially when there is no server, the binder comes in very handy with many things for the priest.

Res, we just have two different ways of getting to the same goal and I can respect that.

Edited by Spence06

loveletslive

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1876179' date='May 26 2009, 11:00 PM']I don't think EMHCs should be used at regular Sunday Masses.[/quote]

me either. but it would take awhile for 600 people to receive communion from 1 priest...