An Old School Catholic Message Board

What Would It Take....

Hassan

To disprove the Catholic faith?

What proposition which, if it were proven to be true, would consequently disprove Catholicism?

farglefeezlebut

Yes, or proof Jesus was not Divine (obviously, absolute disproof of God's existence would prove Jesus was not Divine, but if someone proved that God exists bu was not incarnated, that would work too.)

There are some Catholic eachings I really sstruggle to understand and accept. But I accept them anyway, because even though I may not "get" this or that specific teaching, I trust in God to ensure the Church always teaches the truth about faith and morals (although human free will means individuals within the Church often fail to practice what it preaches.) So if someone comes up with an argument against one specific moral rule, even if that argument seems convincing, I will still follow the Church. Loyal dissent is an oxymoron.

Paddington

That the Church is wrong about one thing - big or small - in regards to faith and morals.

That a teaching has changed.

One teaching can't fit with another teaching.

Letsee:
1. Recover Jesus' (or Mary's) dead body (with sufficient proof that this actually is Jesus or Mary)
2. Prove conclusively that Jesus is a work of fiction.
3. Prove conclusively that Mary conceived Jesus normally.

Basically, someone would have to prove that a dogma is false.

RezaMikhaeil

Thou I'm not Roman Catholic, as an Orthodox, I'd say proving that our history was false.

Reza

LouisvilleFan

None of these suggestions can be proven. A negative statement cannot be scientifically proven. Science cannot study a matter of faith or philosophy (that Jesus is divine or any other dogma).

TotusTuusMaria

[quote]Science cannot study a matter of faith or philosophy (that Jesus is divine or any other dogma).[/quote]

Who said it had to be disproven through science?

TotusTuusMaria

I would say that

1) Jesus Christ never existed

2) Jesus Christ did not rise from the dead

[quote name='farglefeezlebut' post='1873261' date='May 22 2009, 11:34 AM']Yes, or proof Jesus was not Divine (obviously, absolute disproof of God's existence would prove Jesus was not Divine, but if someone proved that God exists bu was not incarnated, that would work too.)[/quote]

What if aliens came to earth and claimed this ? Or if satan as antichrist came in your life time and performed sings and miracles and claimed to be Christ ?

1) Figure out Gods origin (He was never created nor destroyed :D)

2) Figure out the mysteries of the Trinity

All of which are impossible so disproving the Faith is impossible

Edited by Callidius

Actually by Modus Tollens you would only need to prove any statment the Church has rulled infallibly upon.

Edited by Hassan

[quote name='Hassan' post='1875165' date='May 25 2009, 08:34 PM']Actually by Modus Tollens you would only need to prove any statment the Church has rulled infallibly upon.[/quote]

Which is impossible :D