An Old School Catholic Message Board

Evolution And The Original Sin

Oliver

What for sure has to be established is the original sin was the eating of the tree of knowledge, which in turn opened up adam and eves eyes to good and evil. This is not a figurative tree but a real tree that was in the garden of edon and I imagine still present all over the earth today. It is also argued by scholars that it is the same tree in revelation which is the tree of life which leaves provide medicine for all the nations in Heaven.

[i]Genesis 2:16 The Lord God gave man this order : You are free to eat from any tree from any of the trees of the garden except the tree of knowledge of good and bad. From that tree you shall not eat; the moment you eat from it you are surely doomed to die.[/i]

Edited by Guest

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1876483' date='May 27 2009, 04:50 AM']You have to be very careful in associating the first sin with sexual relations between Adam and Eve.[/quote]

I had to quote this because I'm not sure where you thought I implied this. Anyways like I said in the previous post I agree with everyting you're saying. In no way do I think sex between adam and eve had anything to do with original sin. Godbless.

Edited by Guest

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1876484' date='May 27 2009, 09:55 AM']I agree with all this. [i]I'm not saying sex was the cause of the fall. The cause of the fall was partaking in the tree of knowledge[/i]. This is what caused their eyes to be opened and become like God knowing good and evil. Satan tempted adam and eve to eat from this tree. Once they did they fell from grace. This is where I have heard taught that satan had sexual relations with eve which gave birth to cain. If it were not for satan tempting adam and eve to eat the tree of knowledge there would of been no way for them to sin. It was through the tree of knowledge of good and evil satan was able to bring death into the world. And [i]perhaps [/i] start his seed line that gave birth to the giants and ect.[/quote]
But that goes against Genesis 4:1 [quote]1Now the man had relations with his wife Eve, and she conceived and gave birth to Cain, and she said, "I have gotten a manchild with the help of the LORD."[/quote] (Interesting note: "the man" in Hebrew is ha-adam). Anyway, the point is that Cain is not the son of Satan. The "seed" of Satan doesn't mean his biological offspring, but sowing the seeds of sin. IE: by tempting Eve, he caused her and Adam to doubt God and to sin against God by being disobedient. That, in my opinion, is the actual "seed" of Satan.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1876490' date='May 27 2009, 05:25 AM']But that goes against Genesis 4:1 (Interesting note: "the man" in Hebrew is ha-adam). Anyway, the point is that Cain is not the son of Satan. The "seed" of Satan doesn't mean his biological offspring, but sowing the seeds of sin. IE: by tempting Eve, he caused her and Adam to doubt God and to sin against God by being disobedient. That, in my opinion, is the actual "seed" of Satan.[/quote]

Great point. :D Thank you for that. Godbless !

It's late and what I meant to say in previous post was, that through the eating of the tree of knowledge and the fall, the sons of God (perhaps angels) were able to have children with women and give birth to the giants that genesis talks about.

[i]Genesis 6:1-4

Now giants were upon the earth in those days. For after the sons of God went in to the daughters of men, and they brought forth children, these are the mighty men of old, men of renown.[/i]

Edited by Guest

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1876491' date='May 27 2009, 10:28 AM']Great point. :D Thank you for that. Godbless ![/quote]
Glad to help. :) God bless. :)

One of the topics of this thread though is original sin. And there is no question that was the literal eating of the tree of knowledge of good and evil. That is one thing I got right. :lol_roll:

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1876464' date='May 27 2009, 03:59 AM']True. :cool:

But it seems as if Genesis is implying something different then just a medical condition.

[i]Now giants were upon the earth in those days. For after the sons of God went in to the daughters of men, and they brought forth children, these are the mighty men of old, men of renown.

Genesis 6:1-4[/i][/quote]

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1876468' date='May 27 2009, 04:10 AM']But again, "sons of God" doesn't necessarily denote angels, as it could again be figurative language. I don't claim to know for certain, just giving other explanations. :)[/quote]
Hi D-boy, Arch-cat, and Mith. I just took the time to look up Conte's commentary on the first few verses of Chapter Six of Genesis. Its interesting:

[Genesis 6]

{6:1} And when men began to be multiplied upon the earth, and daughters were born to them,
{6:2} the sons of God, seeing that the daughters of men were beautiful, took to themselves wives from all whom they chose.

~ Augustine and others say that this passage refers to the lineages of Seth and Cain, the one being holy and close to God, and the other living apart from God. My suggestion is a more generalized version of what Augustine said, namely, that the sons of God are those who stayed close to God in their lives, and the sons of men are those who lived merely secular lives. In the Bible, the term 'sons of' does not necessarily connotate lineage. For example, those who commit adultery are called, 'sons of adulterers,' not because their parents were also adulterers, but because they act as if they were sons of adultery personified. There were, in ancient times, prior to any organized religion as we have today, some who were holy, who lived close to God, and who, as a result, lived long lives. But these sons of God were attracted to women who were not holy, who lived secular lives. Thus God generally limits the length of our lives because of sin.

~ The giants were perhaps those who were giants in their mental stature, not so much in their physical stature. There may also have been stark differences in the physical characteristics of different groups of people, due to small gene pools, in groups separated by tribe or lineage. Some groups may have been markedly larger or stronger than others. The sons of the sons of God and the daughters of men were mighty because God blesses the offspring of those who are holy.

{6:3} And God said: “My spirit shall not remain in man forever, because he is flesh. And so his days shall be one hundred and twenty years.”
{6:4} Now giants were upon the earth in those days. For after the sons of God went in to the daughters of men, and they conceived, these became the powerful ones of ancient times, men of renown.
[url="http://www.sacredbible.org/studybible/OT-01_Genesis.htm#6"]http://www.sacredbible.org/studybible/OT-01_Genesis.htm#6[/url]