An Old School Catholic Message Board

Writing Study Notes In One's Bible

Brother Vinny

Christie_M

I"m not totally sure if it's a sin to write in the Bible or not, but my dad has told me it is...I remeber being yelled at from my dad because I accidently put a pencil mark on one of the pages. :unsure:

LouisvilleFan

I thought it was the other way around... not writing in your Bible being a mortal sin ;)

Groo the Wanderer

LORF!

Writing in your Bible, highlighting, taking notes are all good things. Heck, if you are gonna even try apologetics, you'll need a good Bible with lotsa notes in there to help you keep your train of thought. BTW - Bible tabs....get them. Helps a lot when dealing with Prots. Some folks are impatient and seem to equate speed of passage look-ups to authority...go figger.

I got em all, especially since I use the RSV-2CE...very few footnotes

[quote name='picchick' post='1870977' date='May 19 2009, 01:21 PM']:( Oh...this is too bad...I changed the part where Eve ate the apple first.[/quote]

:huh:

Wow!

You do not want to see mine...

I use the tabs, of course.

I then have a dozen different color self-adhesive arrows ( similar to the "Sign Here" arrors that accountants, realtors, etc use ) which I use to locate information on the 12-steps of recovery.

Then <GASP> I use a yellow highlighter to mark the associated text.

:ohno:

I don't ever write in my Bibles because I like to have ones with leather covers and gold-paint edges. It would just seem strange to write in such a book.

Edited by Resurrexi

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1870543' date='May 18 2009, 09:57 PM']I would think it would depend on your intentions. If it were merely to highlight something or note an explanation of a word or whatnot, no biggie.

If it's to cross out parts you don't like or modify the meaning deliberately, that's problematic.[/quote]

:yes:

I went to one of the most orthodox Catholic colleges in the country and we were encouraged to highlight and note-take as necessary.

[quote name='picchick' post='1870977' date='May 19 2009, 10:21 AM']:( Oh...this is too bad...I changed the part where Eve ate the apple first.[/quote]

You must have written in an apple tree too! :smokey:

My RSV-CE2's condition during school would have given me a one way ticket to hell. It had highlighter marks, notes, cross references, sticky notes, arrow tabs (color coded by subject lol), paper clips, etc.

Sadly, I lost it somewhere between Ohio and Louisiana lol So all my notes are gone :(

Brother Adam

[quote name='StColette' post='1871969' date='May 20 2009, 05:29 PM']My RSV-CE2's condition during school would have given me a one way ticket to hell. It had highlighter marks, notes, cross references, sticky notes, arrow tabs (color coded by subject lol), paper clips, etc.

Sadly, I lost it somewhere between Ohio and Louisiana lol So all my notes are gone :([/quote]

Yes, as did all of us in Dr. Bergsma's class. I took out over 300 sticky notes in my RSV-CE2 when the class was over. It's held up very well given the abuse it takes from me though. The binding is still solid, which I can't say for most things from Ignatius.

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1872768' date='May 21 2009, 04:06 PM']Yes, as did all of us in Dr. Bergsma's class. I took out over 300 sticky notes in my RSV-CE2 when the class was over. It's held up very well given the abuse it takes from me though. The binding is still solid, which I can't say for most things from Ignatius.[/quote]

Mine was a combination of Minto and Bergsma lol