An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope In Mosque

Colin

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1868687' date='May 16 2009, 11:25 AM']1.) Muhammad was born in Saudi Arabia, where the Syriac Orthodox Church had a presence
2.) Muhammads uncle was a Syriac Bishop [thou Muslims deny this]
3.) Syriac monks prayed seven formal prayer, Orthodox Christians also have the hourly prayers [Muslims pray 5 formal prayers, in accordance with the sun/moon]
4.) During Hajj Muslims throw pebbles at pillars, symbolizing Shayton, as did Syriac Monastics.
5.) Muslims refer to their holy book as the Qur'an, which originated as a prayer book, Syriacs have a prayer book known as the Quryana.
6.) Several Syriac Martyrs are mentioned in the Qur'an itself.
7.) Muslims don't believe in imbalming, as neither do Orthodox Christians

..and the list goes on...ask a Syriac Orthodox Christian that is educated in their faith and they'll probably tell you even more.

Reza[/quote]

Like he said, that's quite a stretch.

It seems akin to picking up the common/simmilar practices between Christianiy and earlier pagan cultures and concluding that Christianity really is an outgrown pagan cult.

MOreover I don't know why Muslims would deney his Uncle was a Syriac Orthodox Bishop if there were any tradition of it. A Bishop attesting to the prophetic mission of Muhammad would be a plus not a minus.

Furthermore, if we are going to trace religious influence, your claims totally ignore the Jewish presence of the region and the common elements between Islam and Judaism which imo as much mor structurally significant than vague simmilarities in prayer books.

Edited by Hassan

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Hassan' post='1868693' date='May 16 2009, 09:34 AM']Like he said, that's quite a stretch.

It seems akin to picking up the common/simmilar practices between Christianiy and earlier pagan cultures and concluding that Christianity really is an outgrown pagan cult.[/quote]

I mis-spoke: The Qur'an was originally part of a Syriac Orthodox lectionary. "The Quryana" is a Syriac book of lections (Bible readings). There is evidence that the "Y" in Syriac gets dropped in Arabic, and of course the vowel on the end is just the definite article.

In addition to the Qur'an containing many Bible stories, it also mentions Syriac Orthodox martyrs. These were the martyrs of Najran who were murdered by Dhu Nuwas the Jew, whom the Muslims also call Mushrek.

Now for somebody that isn't a Christian and believes that it's an "outgrown pagan cult", you can believe whatever you like...

My point is to prove that Protestant Christiantiy is no different then Islam, in terms of the Pope Visiting, etc.

Edited by RezaLemmyng

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1868698' date='May 16 2009, 11:38 AM']I mis-spoke: The Qur'an was originally part of a Syriac Orthodox lectionary. "The Quryana" is a Syriac book of lections (Bible readings). There is evidence that the "Y" in Syriac gets dropped in Arabic, and of course the vowel on the end is just the definite article.

In addition to the Qur'an containing many Bible stories, it also mentions Syriac Orthodox martyrs. These were the martyrs of Najran who were murdered by Dhu Nuwas the Jew, whom the Muslims also call Mushrek.

Now for somebody that isn't a Christian and believes that it's an "outgrown pagan cult", you can believe whatever you like...[/quote]
Been reading Luxenburg?

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Hassan' post='1868703' date='May 16 2009, 09:48 AM']Been reading Luxenburg?[/quote]

:rolleyes: oh hassan, you raskull

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1867129' date='May 14 2009, 10:54 AM']What's the difference between that and the Pope visiting a Mormon or general Protestant place of worship? Islam was a rebellion from Christianity in the Arabian Peninsula, so is Protestant a rebellion, except that those that joined Islam were from Orthodox origins, while protestants were of catholic origins.

Who cares... in the early 1900s in Egypt, Shiekhs used to invite priests to speak at their mosques and visa versa, priests used to invite shiekhs to speak at their churches.

Reza[/quote]

This. Believe it or not, ecumenism and dialogue are necessary if we have any hope of improving relations or inspiring conversion in those of other faiths.

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1868704' date='May 16 2009, 12:51 PM']:rolleyes: oh hassan, you raskull[/quote]

:lol_roll:

I prefer "rapscallion" :P

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1867044' date='May 14 2009, 07:59 AM']There's a 30 page thread....:wacko:

The bottom line is that it's debatable he knew it was the Koran and if he did know.......what are the implications beyond that incident? I mean, it wasn't like Pope JP II was telling us to go read it or whatever.

At best, you have a publicity boo-boo. Just don't cite it as proof he's the anti-christ or anything. Seen enough of that garbage propaganda.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/coldplay/track/shiver"]Coldplay - Shiver[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url][/quote]
:yes:

I once knew a priest who seriously wondered if JPII was the false prophet from the book of Revelation. During the Canon of the Mass he would pray for JPII conditionally.

:mellow:

He is a rad trad.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1868823' date='May 16 2009, 03:24 PM']:lol_roll:

I prefer "rapscallion" :P[/quote]
:lol_pound:

Edited by kafka

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1868021' date='May 15 2009, 02:23 PM']I only have two, but they are freakishly long. Based on human dimensions, with the length of my arms, I should be 6'2" tall. I've told my husband the only reason he married me was because I was the only woman he knows who could do the Heimlich maneuver on him.[/quote]

:lol_roll:
that's a life saving maneuver. Good to have fore sure.

I might like to go into a mosque and pray out loud...

...for them all to convert to Christ.

dominicansoul

i think prayer is good no matter where it is offered. As long as you are praying to the One, True God...