An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope In Mosque

Colin

CatherineM

[quote name='Didacus' post='1867320' date='May 14 2009, 02:27 PM']However, I don't know if either of you would actually 'pray' to Buddha?[/quote]

No. My husband is built like Buddha, so if I started praying to a Buddha statue, it could get really weird around here really fast.

RezaMikhaeil

I think that His Holiness is making great efforts to reach out to everyone for the sake of Peace. His legacy, amongst the secular world, is going to be measured according to these actions that people see, and I think he's giving an extensive effort.

Here's him traveling to a Palestinian Refugee Camp: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFb1Pl8_kB4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFb1Pl8_kB4[/url]

[quote]No. My husband is built like Buddha, so if I started praying to a Buddha statue, it could get really weird around here really fast.[/quote]

:hehe:

KnightofChrist

Actually sounds like the start of a REALLY bad joke....

The Pope walks into a Mosque...

tinytherese

[quote name='eagle_eye222001' post='1867044' date='May 14 2009, 07:59 AM']There's a 30 page thread....:wacko:

The bottom line is that it's debatable he knew it was the Koran and if he did know.......what are the implications beyond that incident? I mean, it wasn't like Pope JP II was telling us to go read it or whatever.

At best, you have a publicity boo-boo. Just don't cite it as proof he's the anti-christ or anything. Seen enough of that garbage propaganda.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/coldplay/track/shiver"]Coldplay - Shiver[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url][/quote]

Definitely not calling him an anti-christ. It just appeared to be crossing the line there.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1867355' date='May 14 2009, 05:47 PM']Actually sounds like the start of a REALLY bad joke....

The Pope walks into a Mosque...[/quote]

Oh my gosh, that's awesome :hehehe:

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1867129' date='May 14 2009, 10:54 AM']What's the difference between that and the Pope visiting a Mormon or general Protestant place of worship? Islam was a rebellion from Christianity in the Arabian Peninsula, so is Protestant a rebellion, except that those that joined Islam were from Orthodox origins, while protestants were of catholic origins.

Who cares... in the early 1900s in Egypt, Shiekhs used to invite priests to speak at their mosques and visa versa, priests used to invite shiekhs to speak at their churches.

Reza[/quote]
As the article cited by Apo makes clear, the Pope did NOT pray in the Mosque, so this whole controversy is baseless to begin with.

And while I don't think the Pope should publicly pray at a protestant service either for that matter, there is indeed an important distinction to be made between protestants and Muslims.
Protestants, while formal heretics, still worship Jesus Christ as Lord, God, and Savior, and thus are Christian.
Muslims reject the divinity of Christ as a matter of doctrine, and denounce the Gospels as lies (they even claim Christ was never crucified).

The differences between Muslims and Catholics are much deeper than those between protestants and Catholics.
Protestants are heretical Christians. Muslims are an entirely non-Christian religion.

Edited by Socrates

goldenchild17

[quote name='dUSt' post='1867774' date='May 14 2009, 11:04 PM']I prayed at McDonalds once.[/quote]

[img]http://macbigot.com/media/RonaldMcPrayer300x500.jpg[/img]

KnightofChrist

[quote name='goldenchild17' post='1867785' date='May 14 2009, 11:21 PM'][img]http://macbigot.com/media/RonaldMcPrayer300x500.jpg[/img][/quote]

Be afraid... be VERY afraid.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1867333' date='May 14 2009, 04:01 PM']No. My husband is built like Buddha, so if I started praying to a Buddha statue, it could get really weird around here really fast.[/quote]

How many arms do you have?

CatherineM

[quote name='Didacus' post='1867905' date='May 15 2009, 09:00 AM']How many arms do you have?[/quote]

I only have two, but they are freakishly long. Based on human dimensions, with the length of my arms, I should be 6'2" tall. I've told my husband the only reason he married me was because I was the only woman he knows who could do the Heimlich maneuver on him.

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1867711' date='May 14 2009, 11:11 PM']Actually Muslims were originally considered a Syriac Orthodox Cult.[/quote]

That sounds like a stretch to me.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1868682' date='May 16 2009, 10:20 AM']That sounds like a stretch to me.[/quote]

1.) Muhammad was born in Saudi Arabia, where the Syriac Orthodox Church had a presence
2.) Muhammads uncle was a Syriac Bishop [thou Muslims deny this]
3.) Syriac monks prayed seven formal prayer, Orthodox Christians also have the hourly prayers [Muslims pray 5 formal prayers, in accordance with the sun/moon]
4.) During Hajj Muslims throw pebbles at pillars, symbolizing Shayton, as did Syriac Monastics.
5.) Muslims refer to their holy book as the Qur'an, which originated as a prayer book, Syriacs have a prayer book known as the Quryana.
6.) Several Syriac Martyrs are mentioned in the Qur'an itself.
7.) Muslims don't believe in imbalming, as neither do Orthodox Christians

..and the list goes on...ask a Syriac Orthodox Christian that is educated in their faith and they'll probably tell you even more.

Reza

Edited by RezaLemmyng