An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pope In Mosque

Colin

The [url="http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/05/09/Pope-prays-at-Jordanian-mosque/UPI-51871241866352/"][b][u]UPI[/u][/b][/url] news report I read indicated that he did "not" pray while in the mosque.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1867004' date='May 14 2009, 03:57 AM']I'm more concerned with when Pope John Paul II kissed the Qu'ran.[/quote]
No pope is perfect, so there is no sense in being concerned about every little thing he may or may not do.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1867003' date='May 14 2009, 03:57 PM']The [url="http://www.upi.com/Top_News/2009/05/09/Pope-prays-at-Jordanian-mosque/UPI-51871241866352/"][b][u]UPI[/u][/b][/url] news report I read indicated that he did "not" pray while in the mosque.[/quote]
Thanks for the correction!!
God bless,
Aussi

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='tinytherese' post='1867004' date='May 14 2009, 05:57 AM']I'm more concerned with when Pope John Paul II kissed the Qu'ran.[/quote]

There's a 30 page thread....:wacko:

The bottom line is that it's debatable he knew it was the Koran and if he did know.......what are the implications beyond that incident? I mean, it wasn't like Pope JP II was telling us to go read it or whatever.

At best, you have a publicity boo-boo. Just don't cite it as proof he's the anti-christ or anything. Seen enough of that garbage propaganda.

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/coldplay/track/shiver"]Coldplay - Shiver[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

thessalonian

[quote name='Colin' post='1866992' date='May 14 2009, 05:39 AM']Hi, just wondering what this phorum thought of the Pope praying in an Amman mosque??[/quote]

Big deal. :smokey:

I don't think there is anything directly wrong with it, even if the pope prayed in the mosque.

Doesn't the CCC say that both muslims and Christians pray to the same and one God of Abraham?

RezaMikhaeil

What's the difference between that and the Pope visiting a Mormon or general Protestant place of worship? Islam was a rebellion from Christianity in the Arabian Peninsula, so is Protestant a rebellion, except that those that joined Islam were from Orthodox origins, while protestants were of catholic origins.

Who cares... in the early 1900s in Egypt, Shiekhs used to invite priests to speak at their mosques and visa versa, priests used to invite shiekhs to speak at their churches.

Reza

CatherineM

Sometimes the coolest places to visit when on vacation are religious. I mean if I went to India, I'd definitely go to the Taj.

There's nothing wrong with any of this.
Some people accuse the Catholic Church for being closed minded towards other religions while others, in situations like this, accuse the Church for being too open minded.

Edited by musturde

[quote]Sometimes the coolest places to visit when on vacation are religious. I mean if I went to India, I'd definitely go to the Taj.[/quote]

So true! I'd go see the Temple of the Sleeping Buddha in Beijing...if I ever had the money to go to Beijing, of course :P

[quote name='Selah' post='1867316' date='May 14 2009, 03:19 PM']So true! I'd go see the Temple of the Sleeping Buddha in Beijing...if I ever had the money to go to Beijing, of course :P[/quote]

I agree.

However, I don't know if either of you would actually 'pray' to Buddha?

I think the distinction that needs to be made is that the pope, in praying in a mosque, does not by default endorse Muhamed as God's prophet.

RezaMikhaeil

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1867258' date='May 14 2009, 11:18 AM']Sometimes the coolest places to visit when on vacation are religious. I mean if I went to India, I'd definitely go to the Taj.[/quote]

[quote name='musturde' post='1867273' date='May 14 2009, 11:32 AM']There's nothing wrong with any of this.
Some people accuse the Catholic Church for being closed minded towards other religions while others, in situations like this, accuse the Church for being too open minded.[/quote]

...both great points... and to be truthful, its obvious that His Holiness is trying to mend fences and make his legacy one of peace, love, and understanding...or as my mother would say, "getting bees with honey, rather then doing what some have done in trying to use vinigar".

Reza

[quote]However, I don't know if either of you would actually 'pray' to Buddha?[/quote]

Nope, sure wouldn't. I'd just admire the lovely architecture cuz I'm a dork like that :P

[quote]I think the distinction that needs to be made is that the pope, in praying in a mosque, does not by default endorse Muhamed as God's prophet.[/quote]

I agree.