An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Definition Of Marriage

add

One man and one woman freely and publicly choosing to give their lives totally to one another, to live faithfully together until death, and for their love to be fruitful in the sense that they are open to children.

Edited by MithLuin

RezaMikhaeil

In Ethiopian Christian couples that get married, seperate at an elderly age to join monestaries to prepare them for the afterlife.

Reza

CatherineM

[quote name='RezaLemmyng' post='1865775' date='May 12 2009, 10:31 PM']In Ethiopian Christian couples that get married, seperate at an elderly age to join monestaries to prepare them for the afterlife.

Reza[/quote]

Wow, I didn't know that. We have an Eritrean Catholic church that uses our building for their masses on Sunday afternoon. They are all pretty young though, mostly new refugees.

Marriage is a covenant by which a man and a woman establish between themselves a partnership of their whole life, and which of its own very nature is ordered to the well-being of the spouses and to the procreation and upbringing of children.

Legal document whereby you tell the government you've decided to share everything you own with someone else.

OR

Finding your soulmate and happiness and deciding to share that joy with friends and family in an official sharing of promises between you and your sweetheart.

OR

My (our?) vehicle for eroding your morals and way of life...

CatherineM

[quote name='track2004' post='1866866' date='May 14 2009, 12:15 AM']Legal document whereby you tell the government you've decided to share everything you own with someone else.

OR

Finding your soulmate and happiness and deciding to share that joy with friends and family in an official sharing of promises between you and your sweetheart.

OR

My (our?) vehicle for eroding your morals and way of life...[/quote]

Your definition of marriage doesn't erode my morals. It erodes the morals of those who have not been properly catechized, or who are still forming theirs.

It was meant to be more of a general 'your.' I know I'll never change your mind about it, CatherineM.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='track2004' post='1866866' date='May 14 2009, 01:15 AM']Civil Union: Legal document whereby you tell the government you've decided to share everything you own with someone else.

OR

Civil Union Celebration: Finding your soulmate and happiness and deciding to share that joy with friends and family in an official sharing of promises between you and your sweetheart.

OR

Rudeness and/or Mockery: My (our?) vehicle for eroding your morals and way of life...[/quote]

Marriage: Covenant between a baptized man and woman that has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1866890' date='May 14 2009, 01:31 AM']Marriage: Covenant between a baptized man and woman that has been raised by Christ the Lord to the dignity of a sacrament.[/quote]

A civil union is just a cheap word change for a civil marriage. It's a bundle of rights and responsibilities you and your partner (male or female) you get when you get married/union-ed(?) under the law of the land.

The second point, was supposed to be a spiritual union, between you and those you love, in front of God or the Church (or whatever your religious beliefs, if any, dictate). Marriage is about sharing your life with someone, every day, out in the open, with requisite bells and whistles.

The third one is what conservative Christians (not usually Catholics) call what I want when I grow up. I just thought I'd say it first.

According to the law of the land, the law that gives the rights and responsibilities, the law that we're actually fighting about Christ and sacrament and all of that aren't part of the equation. It's two people (right now in most places, two people of opposite genders) signing a paper and living as a couple in the eyes of the state.

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='track2004' post='1866907' date='May 14 2009, 01:42 AM']It's two people (right now in most places, two people of opposite genders) signing a paper and living as a couple in the eyes of the state.[/quote]

that would (legally), whether you want to call the word cheap or not (doesn't matter), be called a civil union. not a marriage.

CatherineM

[quote name='track2004' post='1866881' date='May 14 2009, 12:26 AM']It was meant to be more of a general 'your.' I know I'll never change your mind about it, CatherineM.[/quote]

No you won't, and I'm not trying to change yours either. Remember, I'm the one who thinks that the church should be out of the civil marriage business, and that domestic partnerships should be government only. I've done many domestic partnership packages for couples who couldn't marry legally. I believe that you should be allowed to leave your money to whomever you please, and that you should be allowed to have people of your choosing at your bedside when you're dying. I remember a time when that didn't happen.

I remember CatherineM and I appreciate it. I just said how I defined marriage, and while I'd like one that's all shiny with a state seal I really just want someone to grow old with. Sigh. Maybe one day.

Also I have a Civ Pro exam in 10 hours, so I would appreciate some prayers. At noon tomorrow I'll be done with my 1L (and therefore drunk asap after)!