An Old School Catholic Message Board

Church Orthodoxy

mamalove

I've been having a nice debate with my nephew about leaving a certain parish when you feel it is not orthodox enough.

Should you leave and find a more "comfortable" parish, or stay and fight for orthodoxy in the current one?

My thought is, if the good, orthodox people leave, how does that help the parish to get on the right track? I would stay and fight for my Church! :shield:

i amfighting the same battle. I have grown up in my parish (since we moved to the area when I was 4 and I am now 23). Despite the best efforts of the staff the Holy Spirit (and a few educators) guided me into an orthodox faith. As soon as I was an adult I joined the Parish Pastoral Council where I worked balance things. I grew so frustrated after a year I left the parish. While attending teh new church I realized that ever parish has flaws (they usually tend to focus on one aspect of the faith to the detriment of another) so I returned to my home parish.

I have since joined the worhisp committee and the RCIA team to contribute where I can. It is certainly a very frustrating path, but I love the pastor dearly and I care too much for too many people in this parish to give up.

The choice you have to make is really a personal one. Good luck to you! Just remember to remain prayerful and things will work out.

Apotheoun

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1861957' date='May 8 2009, 02:31 PM']I would definitely leave...[/quote]
For most people that is probably the best course of action.

The liturgy is supposed to be a gift of grace, whereby one grows in the process of [i]theosis[/i]. Things that distract from that end are not spiritually healthy.

I suppose I should have added that if there are consistant liturgical abuses I would also leave. There were at my parish but after some "encouragement" from the Diocesan theologian things straightened out. I wonder who called him? ^_^

Brother Adam

I think every situation is different. There does need to be orthodox people who are able to fight the good fight in order to save parishes and evangelize congregations. I have seen entire parishes turn around in Michigan thanks to a few orthodox families who stuck it out.

[quote name='VoTeckam' post='1861973' date='May 8 2009, 04:44 PM']I suppose I should have added that if there are consistant liturgical abuses I would also leave. There were at my parish but after some "encouragement" from the Diocesan theologian things straightened out. I wonder who called him? ^_^[/quote]

If there are liturgical abuses, don't we have an obligation to report them? Is it okay to say "That's not right. That makes me angry. So, I'm just going to leave instead of doing what I can to make it right." How does that answer the call to evangelization?

As I sit and think about it, I've come to the conclusion that it really drives me nuts when people who are blessed with great knowledge about our Church and apologetics chose to stay within their comfort zone and preach to the choir. How does that help anybody? They have been blessed with a gift. Use it!!

[quote name='Brother Adam' post='1862026' date='May 8 2009, 05:54 PM']I think every situation is different. There does need to be orthodox people who are able to fight the good fight in order to save parishes and evangelize congregations. I have seen entire parishes turn around in Michigan thanks to a few orthodox families who stuck it out.[/quote]
:bigclap:

CatherineM

When I moved here, the church two blocks away was basically run by a very liberal nun. There were baptisms on demand for anyone willing to come in the door at least once. There were RCIA classes being taught by neophytes, etc. I stayed and fought for 2 1/2 years, and finally last Fall, had such a large fight with her that we left the parish for 6 weeks. We hadn't really settled on a new parish, and were kind of looking around when the nun passed away. I was begged to return to help straighten some things out. Now I'm being allowed to teach an apologetics class for the women. I still don't really want to stay in this parish, but feel that it is God's will that I stay.