An Old School Catholic Message Board

Council O' Trent And Number O' Sacraments

LouisvilleFan

Apotheoun

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1858997' date='May 5 2009, 07:06 PM']I believe that the Words of Consecration alone, and no other part of the Anaphora is consecratory. To back up this belief I have the testimony of several Ecumenical Councils.[/quote]
Yeah, I know what you think, and I also know that we do not agree on many issues, but whether or not we agree is not all that important.

The older I have gotten the less I worry about people agreeing with me, perhaps you will experience that too. :)

Edited by Apotheoun

Resurrexi

Would you not say that my beliefs in regards to that matter are more in line with the Professio Fidei?

Apotheoun

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1859016' date='May 5 2009, 07:15 PM']Would you not say that my beliefs in regards to that matter are more in line with the Professio Fidei?[/quote]
Yes, your beliefs are in line with the teachings of your [i]sui juris[/i] Church.

Resurrexi

Eastern Catholic candidates for the episcopacy have to make a profession of faith exactly the same as the one made by Latin Bishops (sans the Filioque) do they not?

Apotheoun

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1859026' date='May 5 2009, 07:19 PM']Eastern Catholic candidates for the episcopacy have to make a profession of faith exactly the same as the one made by Latin Bishops (sans the Filioque) do they not?[/quote]
Yes, that is true in the Ruthenian Church, because it has no patriarch of its own, but it is not true in the other Patriarchal Churches, or in the Ukrainian Church, which elect their own bishops.

Besides, I can recite the professio fidei because it simply states that I accept what the Church teaches, and I do accept what the Church teaches. The Melkite Church is Catholic, and its faith is my faith, i.e., the faith once for all given to the saints, and which cannot change or develop.

Apotheoun

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1859036' date='May 5 2009, 07:26 PM']Do you honestly reject the notion of development of doctrine (in the orthodox sense)?[/quote]
The doctrines of the faith are not open to development, because they are encounters with the Father, through the Son, in the energy of the Spirit, and as such they are experiences and not merely notional concepts.

Apotheoun

Interestingly, my position is closer to that espoused at the Roman Church's [i]First Vatican Council[/i], when the bishops assembled at that time said: "Hence, too, that meaning of the sacred dogmas is ever to be maintained which has once been declared by holy mother church, and there must never be any abandonment of this sense under the pretext or in the name of a more profound understanding."

My views on doctrinal development can be found on my website: [url="http://www.geocities.com/apotheoun/development_of_doctrine"][u]The Development of Doctrine[/u][/url]

Apotheoun

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1859047' date='May 5 2009, 07:37 PM']I probably would have liked you a lot better several years ago haha[/quote]
Yes, you would have!!! :)

Apotheoun

I have seen the Christian faith from many different angles: I was raised a Methodist, and became Anglo-Catholic in 1986, only to converted to Catholicism in 1987/1988, and finally in 2005 I transferred from the Roman Church to the Byzantine Church, and have been experiencing the joy of Eastern Christianity for the past four years.

:)

Life is a journey.

P.S. - There is nothing better for getting rid of the last vestiges of Protestant theology in a man's thought than living life in an Eastern Church.

Resurrexi

Latin Catholic theology (at least traditionally) is hardly Protestant, more anti-Protestant, actually.

Apotheoun

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1859054' date='May 5 2009, 07:44 PM']Latin Catholic theology (at least traditionally) is hardly Protestant, more anti-Protestant, actually.[/quote]
This will probably sound odd to you, but in a strange way modern Latin theology has been formed by its response to the Protestant revolt.

and the West considers that a good thing... Christian Theology has been being formed in response to heretical revolts since the beginning.