An Old School Catholic Message Board

Stay At Home Moms?

southern california guy

Keep in mind that this thread was begun in the context of [i]dating[/i] - thus, there are no kids to make decisions about! Also, the thread starter is not a young twenty-something, and implied he is financially stable and able to support a family on his income alone. In that situation, if he were to marry and start a family, he would hope that his wife would be willing to stay home with the little ones.

He expressed surprise that the women he met/went out with (presumably also not young twentysomethings) were more interested in continuing their careers as a matter of course.

So, the conversation naturally focussed on parents choosing to both work when it was not strictly necessary.

Plenty of families have financial responsibilities such that mom has to work, whether she wants to or not. I'd hope we would all recognize that reality. My mom was able to stay home because my parents bought a farm when they got married, so she stayed home and worked the farm.

virginiancatholic

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1870923' date='May 19 2009, 11:20 AM']Keep in mind that this thread was begun in the context of [i]dating[/i] - thus, there are no kids to make decisions about! Also, the thread starter is not a young twenty-something, and implied he is financially stable and able to support a family on his income alone. In that situation, if he were to marry and start a family, he would hope that his wife would be willing to stay home with the little ones.

He expressed surprise that the women he met/went out with (presumably also not young twentysomethings) were more interested in continuing their careers as a matter of course.

So, the conversation naturally focussed on parents choosing to both work when it was not strictly necessary.

Plenty of families have financial responsibilities such that mom has to work, whether she wants to or not. I'd hope we would all recognize that reality. My mom was able to stay home because my parents bought a farm when they got married, so she stayed home and worked the farm.[/quote]

:yes:

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1870923' date='May 19 2009, 12:20 PM']Keep in mind that this thread was begun in the context of [i]dating[/i] - thus, there are no kids to make decisions about! Also, the thread starter is not a young twenty-something, and implied he is financially stable and able to support a family on his income alone. In that situation, if he were to marry and start a family, he would hope that his wife would be willing to stay home with the little ones.

So, the conversation naturally focussed on parents choosing to both work when it was not strictly necessary.[/quote]

The poster asked "What do you guys think about mothers -- or fathers -- who stay at home to raise the kids?"and then he included his situation. The intention of the original poster seemed to be not to discuss his personal situation with finding women that want to do this but he asked in general what we thought of the practice and then expressed his own difficulty with finding a woman who wanted to stay at home. You may have been more focused on the poster's personal situation but the others seemed more focused on giving their personal opinion on the "what do you guys think about mothers or fathers who stay at home to raise the kids" part.

[quote name='XIX' post='1870985' date='May 19 2009, 01:43 PM']Seriously??

People actually think this thread is judgmental of working moms?

unreal.[/quote]

Personally, my problem lies more with fact that praise and admiration is given to stay at home moms (as it should be given) and working moms are given the "I understand some moms have to work of necessity" and that's the end of it. There's no praise, no admiration, no "wow, you're a great mom because you're able to do so much". Instead we get posts about the effects or working may have on our kids, turning them into anxious, abandonment issue children, which as a mom the thought that I could possibly be bring harm to my child because I have to work is absolutely painful. As I pointed out in my post, working moms need just as much encouragement and praise as the stay at home ones. Sometimes we may need a little more encouragement to just get through another day of not being able to be with our children.

fides quarens intellectum
:console:

Mad props to the mommies who have to work but would rather not.

I am a product of a two-parent-working household, although my mom only worked part-time off and on. And I and my sister and brothers turned out okay with no abandonment issues as far as I can tell!

However when I was at my (very secular) alma mater, my psychology professor stated in class during a section on child development that it definitely DOES make a developmental difference whether the mom/dad is able to stay home with the kid or not. She also said that she had caught hell for saying that in class before but ultimately they couldn't do anything to her because what she said was true!

Praised be Jesus Christ!

As usual, I am in a rush, so I haven't read through all the posts before me. Later on, I will. My two cents...totally worth it. As many of you know, our family is blessed with a special child. I don't think we would be have been able to handle the challenges (and yes, blessings!) that came with her presence if we didn't have such a solid foundation of a strong home life.

While my husband makes a good living and we are able to live comfortably, my income would have been able "give us more" had I kept working (in terms of luxury). (Maybe a newer car, better clothes, etc.) I mention this because many of our friends who do not choose to be stay at home parent(s) do so out of financial concerns. I think our culture of materialism (and please don't get me started on the soccer world - many games being on Sundays!) has done great harm in this area. Nothing can take the place of "real parents" and what I like to call - an anchor. In our case, it is me, but it doesn't have to be the Mom. A Dad can do just great.

Pax,
TradMom

Just scanned some of the posts above me. Let me amend because I realize that many families are in dire straits (or just plain old complicated situations!) and can't do it all. Someone suggested a constant caregiver...completely agree with that! Also, what about the young (or mature) women we all know who have gotten pregnant and decided to keep the baby (let us praise them for their dedication to life and not taking the "easy way out" by abortion!)? What about them? Sad but true, many times the "father" leaves the mother holding the baby alone. Pastoral exceptions to every rule and it does take a village! So...first choice, stay at home, live within your means! After that, find a caring, stable person - be a relative or not, who can support and love your child in tandem with you. I was a nanny when I was in grad school, and I LOVED those kids. The Mom was great, never threatened, SHARED her children with me and helped me find my vocation as a Mother. Honestly...I was "the anchor" for her and it worked out beautifully. Lots of ways to be creative about this, and we all need to support one another. Sad to see some people on this board are not feeling the support, and I don't want to add to that! I was answering the first question in my initial response, and as I closed, scanned the above answers...yikes!

Edited by TradMom

I've been struggling with this question lately as well. When I was younger, I was much more concerned with pursuing a career than I was about raising a family, but as I learned more about marriage and the family, I realized I would like to stay at home with my (hypothetical) children.

However, I'm beginning to pursue studies in voice, and I'd like to sing in operas someday. If I ever get to the level I'd like to be at, then I'll have an incredibly hectic schedule, and don't know how I'd keep up any kind of family life--I met someone in the field, and as of October 08 he already had engagements for 2011. He was doing very well, singing in such places as the Met Opera in NY--that's where I'd like to be someday. His wife, also a music graduate, stays at home, teaching piano, and takes care of their child. As the wife, though, I don't know how that would work out for me. I feel like even pregnancies would have to be scheduled into my travel schedule.

On the bright side, I don't really know where life is taking me for sure yet, and I'm not going to be married any time soon, so I can hold off on answering those questions until I get to that point and it's an actual issue for me. Until then, I'll just continue to train and get better and better...I know there are singers who retire partway into their careers so they can be with their families, and do engagements in their area and/or teach. There are always options. Everyone has their own version of normal, I guess.

As far as the actual topic of the thread, though--my mom stayed at home with me and my little sister and I'm incredibly grateful. I think if you can stay at home, then you should, but if you can't, you should be making efforts to make sure that your children won't have the issues that people are talking about in generalities here--which the women on this thread who work seem to be doing. You have to take care of your children the best you can according to your situation--I bet there are plenty of stay-at-home moms who mess things up terribly for their kids. I'm from Orange County, and I know there are plenty of women who don't work because their husbands are making serious bank, but still have nannies because they're too busy going to the gym and getting Botox injections to actually spend time with their own children--they spend more time with their pets, like those yappy little dogs that they have in those Coach purses. But the women here aren't like that, and I think y'all are a model of what a working mother should be doing, because you're ensuring that even though you can't take care of them 24/7 like you would like to (which is, I think, the key factor here), they're still in good hands. You still exercise control over and have an active interest in your child's upbringing, and still spend time with your child[ren] when you're able.

virginiancatholic

[quote]Personally, my problem lies more with fact that praise and admiration is given to stay at home moms (as it should be given) and working moms are given the "I understand some moms have to work of necessity" and that's the end of it. There's no praise, no admiration, no "wow, you're a great mom because you're able to do so much". Instead we get posts about the effects or working may have on our kids, turning them into anxious, abandonment issue children, which as a mom the thought that I could possibly be bring harm to my child because I have to work is absolutely painful. As I pointed out in my post, working moms need just as much encouragement and praise as the stay at home ones. Sometimes we may need a little more encouragement to just get through another day of not being able to be with our children.[/quote]

I'm sorry you were left out. I assume it was unintentional...and i don't think that doing what you have to do to keep the family intact would ever bring harm to your child, be it staying home with your family or working outside the home. As I said earlier:

[quote]think (or at least hope) that most people have supported the idea of staying home with their children on this board without casting judgment or inferiority on working parents. I have the utmost respect for families where both parents work, especially when they have young children, because their job is truly harder. Working a job, taking care of the house, and taking care of the family all at the same time (in addition to being pregnant) deserves a medal. :notworthy2:[/quote]

I think some of us (myself included, mea culpa) may not be as quick to defend working Mommies simply because we were always having to defend stay at home mothers from sneers and jabs and harsh judgments all around, whereas the working mother was praised and lauded. No harm or offense intended. I still maintain that it is best to have a parent at home when the kids are at home, and I hope that if the day comes when I have a family that I will be financiall stable enough to stay at home with my kids.

All mothers should be given the highest honors really, for they give themselves over completely, sacrificing everything they are for their children. A mother really puts her life on the line every time she is pregnant. Highest honors to you all. :bigclap:

I'm jealous of you all. But only in an admiring sort of way.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='MissScripture' post='1870484' date='May 19 2009, 12:36 AM']Now, I didn't have to go to daycare full time, because my mom only worked part time, so we went about 3 days a week, and only for about 4-5 hours, but the only babysitter I remember was "Grandma Marge." She was not my grandma, but she cared for her own grandkids, and the rest of us just picked up the name from them. She really was like a grandma, though, so it was something we looked forward to. So, I guess I'd say that if you have to have your kids in daycare, its important to find a good daycare.[/quote]
The sitter I went to (pretty regularly, even though my mother didn't work) we called "Aunt Tea". No relation to us at all, but she watched my cousins and me.

Archaeology cat

What would be really nice is if workplaces would offer more support to working mothers. Longer maternity leave, perhaps a daycare on site, etc. That way those mothers who wish to work or must work would have a bit more support. I know some employers are starting to allow mothers to bring their children with them. I was able to do that at my part-time gig until he was mobile.

dominicansoul

[quote]I also think some of the posts that say that a lot of the time both parents work so that they can have life's little extras might be a little off base.[/quote]

i hope you aren't referring to my post. I'm not saying that at all. if both parents have to work to meet the [i]minimal financial requirements[/i], then that cannot be avoided. But if [i]one parent's wages suffice[/i], then I don't think the other parent should work. Regardless of the high-quality care givers, nobody can replace the parent.

In today's society, it seems our priorities are all messed up. When Pope Benedict visited Israel, he focused on the family unit. It's being torn to shreds. We must do all we can to build our family's up.

I thank God that my mom never worked when I was a child. And we were dirt dirt dirt poor. But we had each other, and that's all we needed. God provided, and we were never left starving or without clothing. My parents had seven children. They didn't even think about worrying where our meals would come from, or where our clothes would come from. They totally trusted in God, and He provided! I come from a family of farmers. My mom grew vegetables, we raised chickens for the meat and eggs. We had a cow for the milk. My mom made our clothes. I look back at how many things we had that came from the work of her hands. We were never on welfare, we never received hand-outs or charity. God provided for everything. My parents didn't graduate from highschool, but man, they were SMART! They knew how to save, and when to spend. We had the biggest house on the block! (6 bedrooms, a large diningroom, 2 bathrooms and a spacious living room..) I look back now and I wonder how my parents did it....and I can only say...again, God provided!

I'm posting this, because I do value the women who opt to stay at home with their children. Too many times in the society we live in, these women are looked down upon as if they throw away their lives. I am NOT putting down the women who have to work. If you have to, you have to...

Thy Geekdom Come

If you think soccer moms are like momma bears, you should see devout Catholic working moms.

In light of that...everyone want to think really carefully before they write? This isn't debating some distant abstract thing, it's debating something deeply personal and close to many women's hearts. Even if you don't mean any harm in a certain statement, it's not hard for someone else to take it that way.