An Old School Catholic Message Board

Music At Mass

Resurrexi

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

AngelofMusic

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1890067' date='Jun 13 2009, 10:53 PM']:console: I understand. Have faith in the truth and hope in our generation. It's a struggle. Keep persevering. Pray for the young people! Pray for the conversion of your friends! It is the best we can do sometimes.[/quote]

True dat. :)

I keep on going! Living in the Southern Baptist region of America makes daily life a trial... but I manage to stay positive. The churches in this region are often hosting big things... and it saddens me to see my friends desert our own church to go there.

[quote name='AngelofMusic' post='1890070' date='Jun 13 2009, 11:56 PM']True dat. :)

I keep on going! Living in the Southern Baptist region of America makes daily life a trial... but I manage to stay positive. The churches in this region are often hosting big things... and it saddens me to see my friends desert our own church to go there.[/quote]
I can understand your stances now. I went down to Alabama recently and I was surprised (and delighted) to hear the Gospel music on the radio. At the same time, I realised how emotionally packed they were with the rhythm, repetition of words, the melody/harmony. That sort of cultural thing--which originates from the secular--can really sink in and draw one to the crowd that performs it at their ecclesial community. Even though Jesus and being saved is being mentioned, I think people are just drawn to the excitement of it... the feelings. The music drew me in at one point, intrigued me (I'm a music student: I was listening for the jazz idioms), but then I realised you can just get caught up in the excitement, and maybe not the for-real deal. I liked listening to it outside of Church. Some argue it can aid in worship (someone start a thread if they have problems with that statement. :P) but there's gotta be care taken for the mood and approach taken in the liturgy. If the excitement is only what's holding you up, it will come crumbling down, cause it changes. Music of a wordly sense changes. P&W, Gospel... it has a timely counterpart. The positive reason for chant is cause it doesn't have a wordly counterpart. It's timeless. No matter what language you have it in (though Latin is preferred in the Roman Church). It is something mystical that one has to approach with a sense of mystery. How can this be? Gotta turn off the stimulation addiction of the timely. That's sorta how I found it... plus I read some documents. But initially, I was drawn to its timeless qualities, and its participation in the liturgies throughout the centuries. Many men and women had witnessed and partook of this music before us! It's quite amazing to think about. Also, a side note, some studies said singing chant is good for you. It takes a lot of focus and control.

AngelofMusic

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1890084' date='Jun 13 2009, 11:12 PM']I can understand your stances now. I went down to Alabama recently and I was surprised (and delighted) to hear the Gospel music on the radio. At the same time, I realised how emotionally packed they were with the rhythm, repetition of words, the melody/harmony. That sort of cultural thing--which originates from the secular--can really sink in and draw one to the crowd that performs it at their ecclesial community. Even though Jesus and being saved is being mentioned, I think people are just drawn to the excitement of it... the feelings. The music drew me in at one point, intrigued me (I'm a music student: I was listening for the jazz idioms), but then I realised you can just get caught up in the excitement, and maybe not the for-real deal. I liked listening to it outside of Church. Some argue it can aid in worship (someone start a thread if they have problems with that statement. :P) but there's gotta be care taken for the mood and approach taken in the liturgy. If the excitement is only what's holding you up, it will come crumbling down, cause it changes. Music of a wordly sense changes. P&W, Gospel... it has a timely counterpart. The positive reason for chant is cause it doesn't have a wordly counterpart. It's timeless. No matter what language you have it in (though Latin is preferred in the Roman Church). It is something mystical that one has to approach with a sense of mystery. How can this be? Gotta turn off the stimulation addiction of the timely. That's sorta how I found it... plus I read some documents. But initially, I was drawn to its timeless qualities, and its participation in the liturgies throughout the centuries. Many men and women had witnessed and partook of this music before us! It's quite amazing to think about. Also, a side note, some studies said singing chant is good for you. It takes a lot of focus and control.[/quote]

That's awesome that you are a music student! I take music at my school and play the flute. :) Music is very important to me, vocal or instrumental. But that's why I want the more... contemporary music in our liturgy. I was confirmed with tons of kids... and now they have mostly left the church and have been going to their boyfriend/girlfriend/friend's churches. I thoroughly enjoy chanting [though I know I wouldn't be very good at it :rolleyes:]!

And I totally agree with the timelessness of chanting. This year for NCYC, my youth minister is talking about maybe us staying at a monastery! I was excited to hear the chanting. :D

[quote name='AngelofMusic' post='1890367' date='Jun 14 2009, 02:29 PM']That's awesome that you are a music student! I take music at my school and play the flute. :) Music is very important to me, vocal or instrumental. But that's why I want the more... contemporary music in our liturgy. I was confirmed with tons of kids... and now they have mostly left the church and have been going to their boyfriend/girlfriend/friend's churches. I thoroughly enjoy chanting [though I know I wouldn't be very good at it :rolleyes:]!

And I totally agree with the timelessness of chanting. This year for NCYC, my youth minister is talking about maybe us staying at a monastery! I was excited to hear the chanting. :D[/quote]
I think their exodus had more to do with catechesis. Just my humble opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...