An Old School Catholic Message Board

Music At Mass

Resurrexi

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

missionseeker

If done within the legislations that Church set out, it is fine.

C'mon S'mores. You should know this...

I would also like to say as long as it accompanies the vocal, and doesn't be the main focus, and the music is inspired by and follows within what gregorian chant is all about. Also, it would probably be wise to save this event for great feasts, etc.

Resurrexi

BTW there will be an orchestral Mass setting at Pope Benedict XVI's Pentecost Mass :)

missionseeker

I WOULD say that it has no place in NO. Mostly because orchestral pieces are so much longer where you could continue the Mass in the EF, you have to stop it in the OF

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1857319' date='May 4 2009, 12:57 AM']I'm not sure exactly what you're saying...[/quote]

The OF waits for the music to finish before continuing with the mass. In the EF this is not necessarily so from what I remember from the few times I've gone. Look at for instance the agnus dei or kyrie I believe, the actions and rubrics for the priest continue even though he has finished the kyrie or agnus dei and the chant is still being sung.

Edit: [b]I THINK[/b] :)

Edited by Slappo

LouisvilleFan

Since at least some (if not all) orchestral settings of the Mass were written for liturgical use... I'd say yes. Would be an improvement for many parishes, I'm sure.

Been rockin' out to some Haydyn Mass No. 7...

Edited by LouisvilleFan

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1857594' date='May 4 2009, 01:48 PM']Since at least some (if not all) orchestral settings of the Mass were written for liturgical use... I'd say yes. Would be an improvement for many parishes, I'm sure.

Been rockin' out to some Haydyn Mass No. 7...[/quote]
I wouldn't make it a regular for every parish, even if the resources were there. I :love: Hayden though :P

missionseeker

I love [i][b]singing[/b][/i] Haydn masses. At Mass. With orchestra. :punk: I got you all beat.

:P

Resurrexi

[quote name='Slappo' post='1857472' date='May 4 2009, 11:33 AM']The OF waits for the music to finish before continuing with the mass. In the EF this is not necessarily so from what I remember from the few times I've gone. Look at for instance the agnus dei or kyrie I believe, the actions and rubrics for the priest continue even though he has finished the kyrie or agnus dei and the chant is still being sung.

Edit: [b]I THINK[/b] :)[/quote]

Yes, you're right about the Agnus Dei. This is true for the Kyrie and Sanctus, as well. I was thinking more along the lines of the Gloria and Credo where the priest recites the prayer at the altar and then sits while the choir finishes chanting.