An Old School Catholic Message Board

How Many Catholics Actually Believe Like We Do?

southern california guy

southern california guy

In the past I've been the oddball evil "conservative" on other Catholic and Christian internet forums, but here it seems that there are other pro-life old fashioned Catholics.

We're anti-abortion, don't believe in divorce, are opposed to homosexual behavior, don't believe in birth control, have big families, wait till we get married to have sex, and don't live together outside of marriage. But what percent of the Catholic church is still like us?

Are we the minority? What percent of the Catholic church still believes the way that we do?

Resurrexi

[quote name='southern california guy' post='1855672' date='May 2 2009, 04:19 PM']We're anti-abortion, don't believe in divorce, are opposed to homosexual behavior, don't believe in birth control, have big families, wait till we get married to have sex, and don't live together outside of marriage. But what percent of the Catholic church is still like us?[/quote]

Most adults I know who go to Catholic churches, whether ordinary or extraordinary form, whether Latin or Eastern, all believe in the immorality of sodomy, artificial contraception, fornication, cohabitation, etc.

Unlike Ressurexi, I can't tell you how many I know who really follow The Church's teachings. I only know a handful of young people who want to for some reason or another cause they desire an encounter with Christ. I know a few adults who see thatway too. Then there's here.

Edited by Sacred Music Man

CatherineM

It seems like more in the older, and younger generation. My generation is hit and miss. It's one of the reasons I started an apologetics course for our Catholic Women's League. Part of the problem is inadequate catechism.

Apotheoun

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1855673' date='May 2 2009, 02:22 PM']Most adults I know who go to Catholic churches, whether ordinary or extraordinary form, whether Latin or Eastern, all believe in the immorality of sodomy, artificial contraception, fornication, cohabitation, etc.[/quote]
I wish that were the case here in the East Bay Area, but most of the people I know dissent on one or more of those moral issues. Some of the dissent even comes from priests.

The priest, during the homily at a Mass I attended that celebrated the feast of the Holy Family, spoke of family in all its many forms, e.g., single parent families, gay and lesbian families, etc., it was truly sad to hear.

Edited by Apotheoun

Resurrexi

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1855758' date='May 2 2009, 06:25 PM']The priest, during the homily at a Mass I attended that celebrated the feast of the Holy Family, spoke of family in all its many forms, e.g., single parent families, gay and lesbian families, etc., it was truly sad to hear.[/quote]

:blink:

Weird.

Apotheoun

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1855783' date='May 2 2009, 04:45 PM']:blink:

Weird.[/quote]
It is the standard viewpoint at several parishes near my house. One of the parishes even posts its homilies on the web.

Apotheoun

One of the worst homilies I read was delivered by a woman at the parish, and she was referring back to the previous weeks homily, which had been delivered by a teenage parishioner.

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1855796' date='May 2 2009, 07:59 PM']One of the worst homilies I read was delivered by a woman at the parish, and she was referring back to the previous weeks homily, which had been delivered by a teenage parishioner.[/quote]Why do you even stay at that parish? I'd had left it long ago.

TotusTuusMaria

I believe.

I actually know a great deal of people who do. Almost everyone on my facebook (100+) friends believe that way...

I do think we are a minority though...

the faithful have always been a minority...

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

Nihil Obstat

I know very few people who are consistently in line with the Church on everything.
Unfortunately. :weep:

eagle_eye222001

Nearly every family in my local parish has two kids. :mellow:

Now some do have three....and a few have four, however a large majority have two kids.

That will tell you what most of the parishioners think of birth control.

I don't even want to speculate on the other issues. Too depressing. :wacko:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/colbie+caillat/track/bubbly"]Colbie Caillat - Bubbly[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Resurrexi

They could have serious reasons for using NFP. Or they could be practicing celibacy in mariage, like St. Louis and his wife did :)

[quote name='Dr_Asik' post='1856061' date='May 2 2009, 10:58 PM']Why do you even stay at that parish? I'd had left it long ago.[/quote]
He did. He is a Byzantine Catholic now.