An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Gospels

Resurrexi

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

LouisvilleFan

St. Matthew... if I recall correctly... I'm sure wikipedia knows.

P.S. What's the debate?

Edited by LouisvilleFan

Resurrexi

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1855647' date='May 2 2009, 03:53 PM']St. Matthew... if I recall correctly... I'm sure wikipedia knows.

P.S. What's the debate?[/quote]

I wouldn't go to Wikipeida for information on the Bible, it's articles are often tainted with the heresy of modernism.

CatherineM

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1855647' date='May 2 2009, 02:53 PM']P.S. What's the debate?[/quote]

He wants one of us to disagree with him, so that he can accuse us of being heretics.

Resurrexi

Well, it wouldn't be [i]heresy[/i] to say that St. Mark wrote his Gospel first. It would, however, be contradicting the decision of the CDF.

Edited by Resurrexi

I heard St. John. Oh, and if you wanna keep your "Phatmasser", S'mores, you'd better not go picking fights.

CatherineM

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1855670' date='May 2 2009, 03:16 PM']Well, it wouldn't be [i]heresy[/i] to say that St. Mark wrote his Gospel first. It would, however, be contradicting the decision of the CDF.[/quote]

Pope Pius XXII's encyclical Divino Afflante Spiritu, allows for Catholic theologians to do modern biblical investigation. Vatican II's Dei Verbum went farther.

Frankly, it's not terribly important in the overall scheme of things. Whether you believe in the two-gospel or the two-document theory, it doesn't change a single thing about the theology of the Gospels. If you want a complete traddie point of view on the topic, perhaps you should read some Irenaeus. He even pre-dates the PBC by over 1700 years.

Apotheoun

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1855700' date='May 2 2009, 03:02 PM']Pope Pius XXII's . . .[/quote]
I think that you mean . . . Pope Pius XII's . . .

CatherineM

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1855705' date='May 2 2009, 04:09 PM']I think that you mean . . . Pope Pius XII's . . .[/quote]

Guess my finger stuck on the keyboard one X too many.

Apotheoun

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1855707' date='May 2 2009, 03:11 PM']Guess my finger stuck on the keyboard one X too many.[/quote]
That happens. I have a wireless keyboard that loves to type on its own sometimes . . . adding or subtracting letters.

Apotheoun

I voted for [i]Mark[/i], but as far as I am concerned which Gospel was written first is not all that important.

Resurrexi

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1855700' date='May 2 2009, 05:02 PM']Pope Pius XXII's encyclical Divino Afflante Spiritu, allows for Catholic theologians to do modern biblical investigation. Vatican II's Dei Verbum went farther.[/quote]

Neither [i]Divino Afflante[/i] or [i]Dei Verbum[/i] (two magisterial documents of which I am very fond and which think to be very important) contradicted the previous decisions of the Holy Office, nor did they permit the contradicting of the Holy Office's decisions.

Edited by Resurrexi