An Old School Catholic Message Board

Hate Them And Follow Me

reyb

[quote name='LouisvilleFan' post='1855661' date='May 2 2009, 03:08 PM']By the way, you can get the NIV, NKJV, RSV, NRSV, Douay-Rheims, and even The Message [url="http://www.studylight.org/"]here[/url]. And you can personalize it to automatically include the Deuterocanon when running a search.[/quote]

Thank you.

Edited by reyb

gurlie4godsd

The original language used didn't have comparatives....ex: love me more than or love me less than....... there was only love or hate. So Christ is saying love me more than anything else which means love everything else less than how much you love me. This was lost when translating to languages with comparatives and so it reads "hate your father and mother" instead of "love your father and mother less than me"

Hope that made sense

Melanie

[quote name='reyb' post='1854738' date='May 1 2009, 08:57 PM']Let us go back to our discussion, if this verse really means just to love God above everything or to show the seriousness of a disciple’s commitment. Why then the writer will use the word ‘hate’ instead of the above statement?[/quote]

An example of hyperbole