An Old School Catholic Message Board

Keep Your Pearls

reyb

Let us open our bible.

Matt 7:6

6 "[color="#FF0000"]Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces. [/color]NIV

What this verse mean to you? Why then Jesus give everything?

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1854677' date='May 1 2009, 08:35 PM']Do not put your trust in what is evil, it will destroy you.[/quote]

Ok. Thank you for the info.
Are there any other meanings of 'pearls'?

Edited by reyb

princessgianna

[quote name='reyb' post='1854679' date='May 1 2009, 07:39 PM']Ok. Thank you for the info.
Are there any other meanings of 'pearls'?[/quote]
pearls = great treasure
:detective:

KnightofChrist

1 Now concerning the Thanksgiving (Eucharist), thus give thanks. 2 First, concerning the cup: We thank you, our Father, for the holy vine of David Your servant, which You made known to us through Jesus Your Servant; to You be the glory for ever. 3 And concerning the broken bread: We thank You, our Father, for the life and knowledge which You made known to us through Jesus Your Servant; to You be the glory for ever. 4 Even as this broken bread was scattered over the hills, and was gathered together and became one, so let Your Church be gathered together from the ends of the earth into Your kingdom; for Yours is the glory and the power through Jesus Christ for ever. 5 But let no one eat or drink of your Thanksgiving (Eucharist), but they who have been baptized into the name of the Lord; for concerning this also the Lord has said, [b]Give not that which is holy to the dogs. [/b]Matthew 7:6

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1854903' date='May 1 2009, 11:20 PM']1 Now concerning the Thanksgiving (Eucharist), thus give thanks. 2 First, concerning the cup: We thank you, our Father, for the holy vine of David Your servant, which You made known to us through Jesus Your Servant; to You be the glory for ever. 3 And concerning the broken bread: We thank You, our Father, for the life and knowledge which You made known to us through Jesus Your Servant; to You be the glory for ever. 4 Even as this broken bread was scattered over the hills, and was gathered together and became one, so let Your Church be gathered together from the ends of the earth into Your kingdom; for Yours is the glory and the power through Jesus Christ for ever. 5 But let no one eat or drink of your Thanksgiving (Eucharist), but they who have been baptized into the name of the Lord; for concerning this also the Lord has said, [b]Give not that which is holy to the dogs. [/b]Matthew 7:6[/quote]

So....is the 'Eucharist' (also) a 'pearl'?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='reyb' post='1855058' date='May 2 2009, 12:13 AM']So....is the 'Eucharist' (also) a 'pearl'?[/quote]

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1854773' date='May 1 2009, 10:15 PM']pearls = great treasure
:detective:[/quote]

[quote name='reyb' post='1855058' date='May 1 2009, 08:13 PM']So....is the 'Eucharist' (also) a 'pearl'?[/quote]

Yes, the Eucharist is the greatest pearl of the faith. The Eucharist is the source and summit of the Church for it is God Himself

God doesn't want us to cast the pearls before swing because of swine flu.

Winchester

[quote name='picchick' post='1857576' date='May 4 2009, 01:27 PM']God doesn't want us to cast the pearls before swing[/quote]
[img]http://www.bc.edu/clubs/swingkids/swing-dance.jpg[/img]
[img]http://www.gemdiamond.com/department/images/home/Pearls.jpg[/img]

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1854677' date='May 1 2009, 08:35 PM']Do not put your trust in what is evil, it will destroy you.[/quote]

[quote name='Slappo' post='1855406' date='May 2 2009, 10:17 AM']Yes, the Eucharist is the greatest pearl of the faith. The Eucharist is the source and summit of the Church for it is God Himself[/quote]

If ‘trust’ is your pearl; How do you know that these ‘dogs’ will trampled it, if you will not try to give it? And if ‘Eucharist’ is your pearl, who among the ‘dogs’ will accept it?

How about ‘life’? Is ‘life’ not your pearl? Because it is written in

Ps 22:16-20
[color="#FF0000"]16 Dogs have surrounded me;
a band of evil men has encircled me,
they have pierced my hands and my feet.
17 I can count all my bones; people stare and gloat over me.
18 They divide my garments among them
and cast lots for my clothing.

19 But you, O LORD, be not far off;
O my Strength, come quickly to help me.
20 Deliver my life from the sword,
my precious life from the power of the dogs .[/color]
NIV

Question : if giving your pearl is a ‘sin’ ([post="1851339"]because Louiville said it is a sin [/post]) why then The Christ gave his life for the sinners?

KnightofChrist

Dogs, and swine are words used to describe people that reject God and want no repentance. Another way of saying the same thing is, Do not give what is holy to that which is unholy.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='reyb' post='1859082' date='May 5 2009, 10:10 PM']Question : if giving your pearl is a ‘sin’ ([post="1851339"]because Louiville said it is a sin [/post]) why then The Christ gave his life for the sinners?[/quote]

Again there is a difference between those that repent and those that refuse. You may also be over analyzing this whole thing. It is a warning not to give something Holy to someone that is not going to give a hill of beans about it and throw it to the ground.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1859122' date='May 5 2009, 09:35 PM']Again there is a difference between those that repent and those that refuse. You may also be over analyzing this whole thing. It is a warning not to give something Holy to someone that is not going to give a hill of beans about it and throw it to the ground.[/quote]

Of course, your rendition to our subject verse is possible –[quote]‘[b]Do not give what is holy to that which is unholy’[/b] or [b]It is a warning not to give something Holy to someone that is not going to give a hill of beans about it and throw it to the ground[/b].[/quote]
But, what is that holy thing?

If that ‘pearl’ is the Eucharist, who among those ‘swine’ (using your definition of Dogs, and swine - they are words used to describe people that reject God and want no repentance) will eat it and after that they will trample it? I do not think there are people who will accept your ‘Eucharist’ as the true ‘Body and Blood’ of Jesus Christ and after that they will throw it to the ground, and then lose your life in the process.

Let me refresh your memory about our subject verse:

[color="#FF0000"]6 "Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.[/color]

Edited by reyb