An Old School Catholic Message Board

Suicide

Resurrexi

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Resurrexi

Well the Church seemed to understand that suicide is very scandalous when she explicitly forbade Christian burial of suicides, so I don't see why we can't see it as scandalous now, too.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1860984' date='May 7 2009, 05:21 PM']But people can be judgmental. If someone says "John committed suicide" it doesn't make him look very holy.[/quote]

And does that matter? It doesn't. It doesn't matter what a person looks like, it is the fact that we must pray for their soul.

And not everyone thinks like you. When I hear, "John committed suicide" I think. "Poor John, I wonder what was going through his head. I wonder if someone reached out to him. I wonder if he knew that things could get better. I wonder if I helped him what might have happened." Not, "Boy, John is in hell now because he despaired of everything. What an unholy guy."

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1860991' date='May 7 2009, 05:28 PM']In any case, it'd probably be beneficial too the good name of the suicidal to say that he was insane. Seriously, it would.[/quote]

For you...maybe because you have the mindset that suicide means unholy regardless of the situation.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1861001' date='May 7 2009, 05:40 PM']Well the Church seemed to understand that suicide is very scandalous when she explicitly forbade Christian burial of suicides, so I don't see why we can't see it as scandalous now, too.[/quote]

And so is murder.
And so is adultery.

Are we saying that they should not be buried as well even if they repented at their deathbed?