An Old School Catholic Message Board

Suicide

Resurrexi

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

princessgianna

Why would we refuse a Christian burial even if they killed themselves?

How would we know their heart?

EDIT: Doesn't only God know that!

Edited by princessgianna

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1843089' date='Apr 21 2009, 07:24 PM']How would we know their heart?[/quote]
That is a good question.

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1843089' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:24 PM']Why would we refuse a Christian burial even if they killed themselves?

How would we know their heart?

EDIT: Doesn't only God know that![/quote]

There was a specific canonical prohibition against Christian burial of suicides from the 4th Century to the 20th Century, and it is still forbidden under the general prohibition of Christian burial to "manifest sinners to whom a Church funeral could not be granted without public scandal to the faithful."

Edited by Resurrexi

goldenchild17

I am generally against Christian burial for those who commit suicide. Are there ever any exceptions? Sure I think its possible. I'm not really one to speculate on the possibilities however.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1843106' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:30 PM']There was a specific canonical prohibition against Christian burial of suicides from the 4th Century to the 20th Century, and it is still forbidden under the general prohibition of Christian burial to "manifest sinners to whom a Church funeral could not be granted without public scandal to the faithful."[/quote]

blah blah blah

God will judge their hearts.

Did the popes who burned innocent "heretics" get funerals ?

Edited by Guest

Are you saying we should go against ecclesiastical laws and customs?

Not to mention the scandal that is given when the Catholic funeral rites are given to suicidals.

Edited by Resurrexi

princessgianna

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1843106' date='Apr 21 2009, 08:30 PM']There was a specific canonical prohibition against Christian burial of suicides from the 4th Century to the 20th Century, and it is still forbidden under the general prohibition of Christian burial to "manifest sinners to whom a Church funeral could not be granted without public scandal to the faithful."[/quote]

Why would that be a scandal?

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1843121' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:37 PM']Are you saying we should go against ecclesiastical laws and customs?

Not to mention the scandal that is given when the Catholic funeral rites are given to suicidals.[/quote]

Peace pham. I'm the wrong guy to ask. Good topic by the way.

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1843122' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:37 PM']Why would that be a scandal?[/quote]

It might give people the false notion that suicide is not a mortal sin.

Edited by Resurrexi

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1843121' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:37 PM']Are you saying we should go against ecclesiastical laws and customs?

Not to mention the scandal that is given when the Catholic funeral rites are given to suicidals.[/quote]

Scandel and church go hand in hand. Were all sinners.

Edited by Guest

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1843106' date='Apr 21 2009, 08:30 PM']There was a specific canonical prohibition against Christian burial of suicides from the 4th Century to the 20th Century, and it is still forbidden under the general prohibition of Christian burial to "manifest sinners to whom a Church funeral could not be granted without public scandal to the faithful."[/quote]
The entire Canon you quoted: #1184 §1 Church funeral rites are to be denied to the following, [b]unless they gave some signs of repentance before death[/b]:
1° notorious apostates, heretics and schismatics;
2° those who for anti-christian motives chose that their bodies be cremated;
3° other manifest sinners to whom a Church funeral could not be granted without public scandal to the faithful.

§2[b] If any doubt occurs, the local Ordinary is to be consulted and his judgment followed.[/b]

Emphasis mine. I would imagine that it could be difficult to tell if someone who committed suicide had repentance before death. That's why when in doubt, what the bishop decides goes.

The reason I am passionate about this, is I'm married to a man with a serious mental illness. Over 10% of the people with his illness commit suicide. If he were to, I know that he wouldn't be responsible, and I would like him to have a funeral mass. I'm hoping he would be granted compassion rather than judgment.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1843124' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:39 PM']It might give people the false notion that suicide is not a mortal sin.[/quote]

Very good point. Suicide is never a option.

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1843125' date='Apr 21 2009, 09:39 PM']Scandel and church go hand in hand. Were all sinners.[/quote]

Scandal can be gravely sinful (cf. CCC 2284) and we are all called to avoid grave sin.

Edited by Resurrexi

princessgianna

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1843124' date='Apr 21 2009, 08:39 PM']It might give people the false notion that suicide is not a mortal sin.[/quote]
oh I see! That's understandable!
Thanks~