An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Idea Of A "cult"

Resurrexi

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1838957' date='Apr 17 2009, 05:48 PM']Do you think that the claim that a particular sect is a cult is a good reason to write it off as untrue?[/quote]
Depends on how you plan on defining cult, for one thing...

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1838994' date='Apr 17 2009, 06:14 PM']Well, not in its traditional sense of "worship".[/quote]
I figured.

I guess in this question we have to assume that we're ignoring their specific theology, otherwise it's irrelevant.
If they display cult like behaviour, it should be a very good indicator that the leaders are serving something other than God.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1839003' date='Apr 17 2009, 06:21 PM']What exactly would you say is cult like behavior?[/quote]
What immediately comes to mind is the forced isolation from the rest of the world and difficulty leaving.

Edited by Nihil Obstat

i've read here by militant that the catholic church is indeed a cult but that's not a bad thing.
i think its sorta like a mafia type thing to.
i mean the pope rides around in a benz and has the keys to heaven.
come on.
God keeps it G.
:thumbsup:

Edited by Guest

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1839291' date='Apr 17 2009, 11:00 PM']i've read here by militant that the catholic church is indeed a cult but that's not a bad thing.
i think its sorta like a mafia type thing to.
i mean the pope rides around in a benz and has the keys to heaven.
come on.
God keeps it G.
:thumbsup:[/quote]
Well there is a very strict, formal definition for the word cult that does indeed apply to legitimate Catholicism. Resurrexi and I alluded to that earlier.
I'm not one to ask about that though. The finer definition is somewhat beyond me.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1839358' date='Apr 18 2009, 01:05 AM']Well there is a very strict, formal definition for the word cult that does indeed apply to legitimate Catholicism. Resurrexi and I alluded to that earlier.
I'm not one to ask about that though. The finer definition is somewhat beyond me.[/quote]

would you care to explain a little further ?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1839366' date='Apr 18 2009, 12:08 AM']would you care to explain a little further ?[/quote]
I'll try, but not in my own words. Like I said, not qualified.
I'm sorry, actually can't find a good definition for you. By the way, don't run "Cult" and "Catholicism" in a Google search together. Please. You'll read more crazy ideas. That would be a good thing for the Q&A section. I'm out of my league with that definition.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1839377' date='Apr 18 2009, 01:16 AM']By the way, don't run "Cult" and "Catholicism" in a Google search together. Please. You'll read more crazy ideas.[/quote]

lol I want to so bad.

Edited by Guest

Catholicism today, as a mainstream religion, would certainly not fall under the category of cult today; however, the infant Church, according to the some people's definitions of a cult, may have.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Delivery Boy' post='1839384' date='Apr 18 2009, 12:20 AM']lol I want to so bad.[/quote]
Only if you read a dozen Church Scholar posts for every sentence of anti-Catholic junk. ;)