An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Men And Women Cover Their Heads

Mr.Cat

Disgraceth his and her head!  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1838775' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:34 PM']how am I personally attacking you by objecting to your hijab picture? I am not attacking your person in the slightest. and I have every right to make as many posts as I wish to on the subject... where have I deviated from the topic of this thread? where have I ever said anything about you? I have objected to the use of the hijab pic in this thread through pictures.[/quote]I know women who use the “hijab” and other similar head coverings, [i]and I admit I sort of like it...[/i] The subject is head coverings, not different kinds of head coverings.

But by suggesting that I oppose head coverings for women, calling it outdated and oppressive is hurtful and inappropriate. That is how I feel. Now please get to the topic.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Moosey' post='1838715' date='Apr 17 2009, 02:45 PM']Ooooooooh pretty dress! The gloves are boss. I want to wear gloves at my wedding, [b]and I want my husband to wear a top hat.[/b][/quote]
My respect for you just skyrocketed.

HisChildForever

I know feminism has not been brought into this discussion and I am certainly NOT saying that head coverings are oppressive in [b]any way[/b] (I need to make this absolutely CLEAR); but the picture in the OP made me think of this:

I feel that many women who [i]do[/i] examine head coverings from a [i]feminist[/i] standpoint see it as oppressive because other religions and cultures - such as Islam - which view women as "beneath" men (dare I refer you all to those Afghan "laws," the thread is floating around somewhere) also stress head coverings or complete coverings. This is why many women get confused when it comes to Catholicism and head coverings because, when uneducated about the topic, they automatically connect it with other religions that clearly stress head coverings for different reasons. If it was something unique to Catholicism I believe such opposition would not exist.

Edited by HisChildForever

princessgianna

Let's educate them! :graduate:

The Church's view on women is very unique because it elevates us to be precious creatures that are to be protected by men!

I understand your point though when people are truly educated to how the Church respects women-it all falls in line!

Edited by princessgianna

[quote name='princessgianna' post='1838829' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:59 PM']Let's educate them! :graduate:

The Church's view on women is very unique because it elevates us to be precious creatures that is protected by men![/quote](Cheers!) :))

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1838807' date='Apr 17 2009, 05:50 PM']My respect for you just skyrocketed.[/quote]
Thanks fella :thumbsup:

Top hat fan?

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Moosey' post='1838879' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:37 PM']Thanks fella :thumbsup:

Top hat fan?[/quote]
Absolutely. :lol:

My point is that hijabs are oppressive and outdated. I was contrasting them with catholic head coverings

Some Muslim women freely choose to wear hijabs, however, and in the case of those woman, I really wouldn't call them oppressive.

yes, it's not oppressive when hijabs are voluntary, though I don't think hijabs should be worn by women, it's their right to do so if they wish. but hijabs are enforced by law in most areas, and given the climate, requiring those things by law in everyday life is oppressive.

I think the pictures speak for themselves. If I used the words "oppressive" and "outdated" by the picture of the hijab, everyone would agree with me. But when using it by the pictures of Catholic head coverings in the form of chapel veils and wedding veils, everyone gets that I'm not really calling them that because that's not what they are.

but I think the confusion was that you thought I was characterizing you as calling all head coverings oppressive and outdated. where that confusion stemmed from is that I consider hijabs oppressive and outdated and was offended at your comparison of head coverings to them. this would all be much clearer if you actually stated your position in the original post rather than posting a provocative image.

The Christian woman's head covering has always been more like a scarf, and rarely if ever covered the face. It normally covered only the hair and crown of the head.

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1838921' date='Apr 17 2009, 06:12 PM']this would all be much clearer if you actually stated your position in the original post rather than posting a provocative image.[/quote]Possibly... :sadder:

:lol_roll: While I know what you mean by "[i]provocative[/i]", the word just strikes me odd here...

:grouphug: :grouphug: :grouphug:

lol... it is a bit funny applied to an image of hijabs if you think of the double entendre :cyclops: :ninja:

haha... obviously in one meaning of the word provocative, the picture is exactly the opposite :P: