An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should Men And Women Cover Their Heads

Mr.Cat

Disgraceth his and her head!  

36 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1838736' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:08 PM']I think the purpose of this thread was to get an idea about what Phatmass, as a whole, feels about head coverings. It makes sense to construct a poll because this way the members who are shy about getting into a debate (for fear of being judged or criticized) can anonymously state their opinion.[/quote]

I don't believe anyone was arguing about the validity of this thread. I do believe that the picture Mr.CatholicCat chose was inappropriate for this thread though. There's a big difference between that type of veiling and the veiling we are speaking of. According to the Church veiling is only required at times of prayer, etc. not constantly throughout the entire day and we aren't required to hide our faces. So I disagree with his choice of picture but not with the thread purpose.

HisChildForever

Al, I think that picture is a [i]little[/i] dramatic. No one should be wearing a baseball hat during Mass, no matter what gender you are.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1838744' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:12 PM']Al, I think that picture is a [i]little[/i] dramatic. No one should be wearing a baseball hat during Mass, no matter what gender you are.[/quote]

:) I think he's trying to make a point. The fact is if the Canon from 1917 is null and void then men should be able to wear head coverings during Mass, etc.

HisChildForever

I have seen men in hats before, only in the winter, the kind of hat being like the one Al has on in his picture. And they were older gentlemen.

Edited by HisChildForever

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1838753' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:22 PM']I have seen men in hats before, only in the winter, the kind of hat being like the one Al has on in his picture. And they were older gentleman.[/quote]

It should not be necessary for a man to wear a hat in Church unless the heat is broken in the Church or there's some type of health issue.

But this an entirely a different topic :)

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1838744' date='Apr 17 2009, 05:12 PM']Al, I think that picture is a [i]little[/i] dramatic. No one should be wearing a baseball hat during Mass, no matter what gender you are.[/quote]
and no one should be compelled to wear a hijab, either, which is what this thread's foundational pic is of.

and anyway, to my mind, 'no one should wear a baseball cap' is on the same level as 'women should wear head coverings' and 'men should not cover their heads'... can a guy wear a hat similar to the hat in my avatar? can a guy wear a top hat? if he cannot, why can women have their heads bared?

anyway yes, the poll is a good idea. though the wording of it is a little skewed... I myself didn't want to vote for the "forced/compelled" option because that's not been at all what I've been saying, but I voted for it anyway just because I know that's the option made for my position.

Aloysius and StColette, I [b][u]support[/u][/b] women covering their heads... Your comments while I [i]personally think[/i] inappropriate, [u]your opinions are welcome[/u]. I get the feeling that you dislike radical extremist view on head coverings?

Aloysius, don't be thinking this about you. Leave the other thread in the other thread please...

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1838753' date='Apr 17 2009, 05:22 PM']I have seen men in hats before, only in the winter, the kind of hat being like the one Al has on in his picture. And they were older gentlemen.[/quote]
so we have men disobeying St. Paul as well. cool, at least I can't be accused of being sexist when I apply things across the board.

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1838758' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:25 PM']Aloysius and StColette, I [b][u]support[/u][/b] women covering their heads... Your comments while I [i]personally think[/i] inappropriate, [u]your opinions are welcome[/u]. I get the feeling that you dislike radical extremist view on head coverings?[/quote]

Please explain how my opinions are inappropriate in your opinion. I just don't see the point of posting a picture like that when it does not reflect the Churches teaching on the topic.

And what is your definition of radical extremist view on head coverings?

And btw I did not say that you didn't support women covering their heads, so stop reading stuff into my posts.

[quote name='StColette' post='1838763' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:27 PM']Please explain how my opinions are inappropriate in your opinion.

And what is your definition of radical extremist view on head coverings?

And btw I did not say that you didn't support women covering their heads, so stop reading stuff into my posts.[/quote]I was speaking to two people you know? :detective:

[quote name='Mr.CatholicCat' post='1838767' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:28 PM']I was speaking to two people you know? :detective:[/quote]

yes, but you include me so I would like to know as to which part of any of my posts were inappropriate. If you weren't including me, I apologize, but you should have been more clear. :)

but anyway, back to the original topic :)

I'm interested in seeing the opinion of phatmass on this.

nor did I. the point is that you posted a thread specifically referring to our other thread in which you posted a pic of hijabs... come on now... [mod] stupid oversight, should not have been mentioned in public, sorry -Aloysius[/mod]

the point of my post was that hijabs are oppressive and outdated, but Catholic head coverings (including wedding veils) are not.

HisChildForever

[quote name='StColette' post='1838755' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:23 PM']It should not be necessary for a man to wear a hat in Church unless the heat is broken in the Church or there's some type of health issue.

But this an entirely a different topic :)[/quote]

I think it was a health issue, as it was only in winter and elder people tend to get cold easier. Everyone during the winter months stays bundled up in our Church, which should tell you something about our heat... :wacko:

[quote name='Aloysius' post='1838770' date='Apr 17 2009, 04:30 PM']nor did I. the point is that you posted a thread specifically referring to our other thread in which you posted a pic of hijabs... come on now...[mod] stupid oversight, should not have been mentioned in public, sorry -Aloysius
[/mod][/quote]You seemingly have a big problem with me. You come into a poll topic I started, hijack it, and bring up “frustrations” (your words) from another topic I let go... I personally find it as personal attacks on me, this is a fair topic and you shouldn’t have to feel like you need to dominate it.

If you are saying it is a waste of time for me to feel welcome and safe here?

how am I personally attacking you by objecting to your hijab picture? I am not attacking your person in the slightest. and I have every right to make as many posts as I wish to on the subject... where have I deviated from the topic of this thread? where have I ever said anything about you? I have objected to the use of the hijab pic in this thread through pictures.