An Old School Catholic Message Board

United Air To Charge Obese Fliers Twice

Lil Red

I couldn't go to mass today because the trains aren't going. I have to sit at home like a heathen.

But trains are great when they go!

And I think it's fair that they charge obese people more. Do they get double meals then too?

If you buy two tickets, you buy two tickets and are entitled to the service of two passengers. Thus more cargo and carry on and meals and drinks. And hot towels. If you merely pay for the seat (at some prorated price), then you get no extras.

I knew a guy who used to buy a second ticket for his guitar. He'd strap it in the seat belt and everything. They once tried to get him to check it, so an extra person could get on, and he slid the extra ticket under the seat belt like a cop putting a parking ticket under your windshield wiper. He never wanted the extra meal though. Can't imagine anyone wanting that. He paid more for his guitar than most people do for their cars.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1840533' date='Apr 19 2009, 02:13 PM']I knew a guy who used to buy a second ticket for his guitar. He'd strap it in the seat belt and everything. They once tried to get him to check it, so an extra person could get on, and he slid the extra ticket under the seat belt like a cop putting a parking ticket under your windshield wiper. He never wanted the extra meal though. Can't imagine anyone wanting that. He paid more for his guitar than most people do for their cars.[/quote]
I can understand that. In fact I can see myself doing it, if I were to travel a lot with a good guitar.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1840926' date='Apr 19 2009, 08:58 PM']I can understand that. In fact I can see myself doing it, if I were to travel a lot with a good guitar.[/quote]

I used to have a '65 Dove that I barely let leave it's case, let alone brave a cold depressurized cargo hold.

i wish i had done that. when i went travelling, after the flight back from guatemala, i opened my locked hardcase(which was undamaged, no scratches even) to find my 1300$ Cort Parkwood acoustic guitar nearly completely destroyed.
had a total of five cracks/breaks, all in the lower right side of the guitar(the bout? i dunno) four cracks running along the grain, with some splintering, all at least 4 inches long, one that extended 16 inches, past the sound hole. and the area between them was bulged up about an inch with a super nasty crossgrain break a couple inches long.

i just about cried. never got any money from the airline(i was part of a group and thus didnt buy my own ticket, or i would have insured it)

That smells of elderberries... I guess next time you gotta consider inner padding. The axe needs to fit more snug. :idontknow:

Nihil Obstat

I've seen baggage handlers. They don't even look at what it is, they just throw it. So yea, if I ever have to travel with a guitar... it's gonna cost me. :)
Hollowbody archtops are sort of fragile too. Almost as much as acoustics.

I'm fat so if I am not traveling with someone I know and understands they are going to be crowded I either buy a seat that is by itself (if the plane only has 1 seat then the aisle then 2 more seats) or I pay for first class. It isn't your fault Im fat so I try to avoid feeling judged and uncomfortable myself.

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1841274' date='Apr 20 2009, 07:21 AM']That smells of elderberries... I guess next time you gotta consider inner padding. The axe needs to fit more snug. :idontknow:[/quote]

it was super snug! even had a few tshirts in there filling in all the gaps. my guess is it got kinda brittle from the heat and humidity change to alberta winter then was dropped really hard. the case bent in, destroyed the guitar then bent back out, like a popping jam lid.

definitely not just heat it was definitely an impact.

I'm curious what they would define as obese. Somebody who is 6'7" and weighs 300 lbs (136kg for you metric folks) shouldn't be considered obese because they're extremely tall. Conversely somebody who is 5'8" and weighs the same would be, there's nowhere else for that weight to go but sideways. So will they have some kind of height/weight scale or just start charging by the pound?

Hasn't this same arguement been used in the clothing industry? Skinny people use less fabric per garment and should be charged less, so on and so forth?

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Winchester' post='1842540' date='Apr 21 2009, 06:58 PM']According to the BMI charts, I'm overweight at 5'10 and 195.[/quote]
BMI charts are stupid. In my opinion.

missionseeker

[quote name='Winchester' post='1842540' date='Apr 21 2009, 12:58 PM']According to the BMI charts, I'm overweight at 5'10 and 195.[/quote]

According to that, I am too. 5'5(.5!) and like 150. However, I wear the same size clothes as my friends who weigh 110 pounds... (so not fair :mellow: :lol_roll: ) They don't really take into account muscle mass and body shape (for women) at all. <_<