An Old School Catholic Message Board

United Air To Charge Obese Fliers Twice

Lil Red

Canadian airlines are required to give an obese person a second seat for free. They had a lawsuit go all the way to the Supreme Court, and obese people in Canada are deemed to have a disability and can not be discriminated against.

By the way, I assure you that the cramped seats caused by an obese person are every bit as uncomfortable for the obese person, who in addition to being uncomfortable physically, is also subjected to the embarrassment of having to ask for a seat belt extender, and sometimes subjected to verbal abuse from the crew and other passengers.

And yes, they should just lose weight, and until then, they should stay at home, not travel or inconvenience more normal (and therefore more acceptable) people by their presence.

[quote name='dUSt' post='1837797' date='Apr 16 2009, 07:59 PM']I think we need to bring back rail travel in the United States.[/quote]
Why? Travelling by river is much more economical

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='notardillacid' post='1838164' date='Apr 16 2009, 11:27 PM']Why? Travelling by river is much more economical[/quote]
Rivers only go in one direction. :(

Vincent Vega

[quote name='dUSt' post='1837797' date='Apr 16 2009, 07:59 PM']I think we need to bring back rail travel in the United States.[/quote]
Don't like the whole "employment" thing, eh?
:mellow:

[quote name='USAirwaysIHS' post='1838719' date='Apr 17 2009, 03:47 PM']Don't like the whole "employment" thing, eh?
:mellow:[/quote]
My vision is a rail/air network.

I say get rid of all short haul flights usually made by planes that hold less than 70 passengers, and replace with high speed rails.

1. Less traffic on the streets
2. Less clutter in the skies

Ride the high speed train to your airport, fly to destination.

My vision also calls for Amtrak, and all airlines except for Delta and United to fold. We would be left with two companies:

Delta Travel Lines
United Travelines

princessgianna

[quote name='dUSt' post='1837797' date='Apr 16 2009, 06:59 PM']I think we need to bring back rail travel in the United States.[/quote]
I'm listening! And I'm liking!

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1839600' date='Apr 18 2009, 09:58 AM']I like trains.[/quote]

Trains are overrated.

princessgianna

[quote name='T-Bone _' post='1839604' date='Apr 18 2009, 11:01 AM']Trains are overrated.[/quote]
you are right-now the shikansens on the other hand...

[img]http://www.japan-travel-information.com/images/500.shinkansen.jpg[/img]

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1837790' date='Apr 16 2009, 06:50 PM']Canadian airlines are required to give an obese person a second seat for free. They had a lawsuit go all the way to the Supreme Court, and obese people in Canada are deemed to have a disability and can not be discriminated against.

By the way, I assure you that the cramped seats caused by an obese person are every bit as uncomfortable for the obese person, who in addition to being uncomfortable physically, is also subjected to the embarrassment of having to ask for a seat belt extender, and sometimes subjected to verbal abuse from the crew and other passengers.

And yes, they should just lose weight, and until then, they should stay at home, not travel or inconvenience more normal (and therefore more acceptable) people by their presence.[/quote]

Paying for both seats is considered discrimination? I guess they are comparing to having a wheelchair bound person to pay for the ramp when they can't take the stairs... they have a good point.

[quote name='tgoldson' post='1840124' date='Apr 18 2009, 10:55 PM']Paying for both seats is considered discrimination? I guess they are comparing to having a wheelchair bound person to pay for the ramp when they can't take the stairs... they have a good point.[/quote]

All business have expenses that are considered legally, "part of the cost of doing business." Having put in a handicap toilet in our home, I know they are more expensive that a regular one. Restaurants, malls, etc., have to make accommodations for patrons who are different. If the airlines want to make everyone pay by the pound, luggage included, and provide the amount of space that everyone needs to comfortably use their service. My husband is 6'5". He flies a lot, and he is never comfortable. When his plane hits turbulence, he comes home with his knees covered in horrible bruises. People are quick to tell the overweight that they need to lose weight, but no one tells my husband to cut his legs off at the knee.

I remember being that skinny person crushed on a plane. When I was hurt, one of the injuries I sustained was a torque injury to my thyroid, which is in the neck. It took many years, and many pounds before they could even figure out what had happened to my thyroid because I had so many other worse injuries to deal with. Even when they finally figured it out, I couldn't be properly medicated, because every time we got close to a proper dose, my blood pressure would blow sky high. I can only take enough synthroid to avoid seizures, but not enough to help my metabolism. Everything I eat is weighed and measured first, calories severely restricted, but I'm lucky to lose a half a pound a month. Ask anyone who has ever been on a diet if they could maintain a strict diet for over a decade with a goal weight still no where in sight.

Yet, I routinely have complete strangers come up to me and tell me I should lose weight. I actually had a clerk at a store a week ago come up behind me and poke me in the bum. My top half is half the size of my bottom half because my lymphatic system was also damaged in my lower back when I was hurt, and she thought the extra on the bottom was shop lifting booty. If my husband hadn't seen her do it, I'm not sure he would have believed it possible. I think we are all quick to judge others without knowing what crosses they may carry. I know I am, have been in the past, and probably will be again in the future, but I try so hard not to be.

[quote name='Winchester' post='1840446' date='Apr 19 2009, 10:09 AM']My thought is lose weight or drive.[/quote]

Planning to do both.