An Old School Catholic Message Board

United Air To Charge Obese Fliers Twice

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
AFAIK, Delta and Southwest already do this:
[url="http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601087&sid=ajtmQ7v86kyg&refer=home"]http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=home[/url]
[quote]United Airlines, the third-largest U.S. carrier, may force some obese travelers to buy a second seat when flights are full and other passengers complain about being cramped.

United passengers previously “had to share their seat with the oversized guest” on full planes, Urbanski said. Chicago- based United acted after receiving “hundreds” of public complaints each year, she said.

Urbanski said obese passengers on United will be reassigned to a pair of empty seats and won’t be charged for an extra ticket on flights that aren’t full. Travelers must be able to put the arm rest between seats down to its normal position and buckle a seat belt with one extension belt, she said.[/quote]
note: not the full article.

eagle_eye222001

Duh. :mellow:

----------------
Now playing: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/harry+gregson-williams/track/only+the+beginning+of+the+adventure"]Harry Gregson-Williams - Only The Beginning Of The Adventure[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

Groo the Wanderer

Fine with me. Heck, if I were so large as to require two seats, I would be buying them anyway. Those airline seats aren't exactly roomy to begin with.

They are selling the seats. If you take up two, you should pay for two.

now...if there is any empty row you could move to, you should be refunded the second seat.

dominicansoul

i think it is only fair....have you ever sat by a really large person on the plane who was desperately trying to fit into the single seat, but couldn't? And they kept sitting on your arm or your shoulder kinda got caught behind them, and you are desperately trying to make room for yourself, but couldn't? It's kinda awkward and all...I mean your touching them in in those places that strangers shouldnt' be touching...you kinda get trapped in the squeeshiness of it all.....

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Groo the Wanderer' post='1837578' date='Apr 16 2009, 06:29 PM']Fine with me. Heck, if I were so large as to require two seats, I would be buying them anyway. Those airline seats aren't exactly roomy to begin with.

They are selling the seats. If you take up two, you should pay for two.

now...if there is any empty row you could move to, you should be refunded the second seat.[/quote]

I tend to agree. I don't want to sound like I'm looking down on overweight people, but if I have to pay $100+ bucks for an newborn infant that sits on my lap there should be some sort of charge for people taking up two seats on a full plane. It just makes sense.

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1837712' date='Apr 16 2009, 05:04 PM']i think it is only fair....have you ever sat by a really large person on the plane who was desperately trying to fit into the single seat, but couldn't? And they kept sitting on your arm or your shoulder kinda got caught behind them, and you are desperately trying to make room for yourself, but couldn't? It's kinda awkward and all...I mean your touching them in in those places that strangers shouldnt' be touching...you kinda get trapped in the squeeshiness of it all.....[/quote]
Yes, that can be extremely uncomfortable, both physically and socially.

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1837713' date='Apr 16 2009, 05:05 PM']I tend to agree. I don't want to sound like I'm looking down on overweight people, but if I have to pay $100+ bucks for an newborn infant that sits on my lap there should be some sort of charge for people taking up two seats on a full plane. It just makes sense.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
srsly?? :wacko: that's crazy!

[quote name='IcePrincessKRS' post='1837713' date='Apr 16 2009, 05:05 PM']I tend to agree. I don't want to sound like I'm looking down on overweight people, but if I have to pay $100+ bucks for an newborn infant that sits on my lap there should be some sort of charge for people taking up two seats on a full plane. It just makes sense.[/quote]
Sometimes an extremely obese person takes up one whole seat and part of two others (i.e., when they sit in the middle seat). It can be very uncomfortable.

IcePrincessKRS

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1837720' date='Apr 16 2009, 08:07 PM']+J.M.J.+
srsly?? :wacko: that's crazy![/quote]

Yup, when you fly with a child who sits on your lap you still have to pay some sort of fee to cover their weight and luggage (we were allowed an extra piece of luggage for the infant). I think it was around $130 when we were coming to and from Korea. We haven't flown with the kids within the continental US so I'm not sure how those fees work out.

Madame Vengier

I'm totally in favor of it. Airlines make their money selling SEATS. If someone has to occupy two seats--for any reason--they should pay for it. It's a business, not a charity.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1837737' date='Apr 16 2009, 05:16 PM']I'm totally in favor of it. Airlines make their money selling SEATS. If someone has to occupy two seats--for any reason--they should pay for it. It's a business, not a charity.[/quote]
I agree.

dominicansoul

i think it is a wise thing to do, seeing that airplanes need to moderate how much weight is on a plane, if one overly huge person is occupying one seat, it really does not account to the estimation of the weight that is actually on that flight...

this way, one fat person sitting on two or even three seats will be counted as two or three persons...

no fear of overloading the plane and weighing it down...

homeschoolmom

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1837748' date='Apr 16 2009, 07:23 PM']i think it is a wise thing to do, seeing that airplanes need to moderate how much weight is on a plane, if one overly huge person is occupying one seat, it really does not account to the estimation of the weight that is actually on that flight...

this way, one fat person sitting on two or even three seats will be counted as two or three persons...

no fear of overloading the plane and weighing it down...[/quote]
I wish it worked the other way and my children (one of whom weighs less than 90 lbs, two of whom hover around 50 lbs) only had to pay half. <sigh>