An Old School Catholic Message Board

Random Questionable

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

Pope Gregory II in a decretal in 726 said "when a man has a sick wife who cannot discharge the marital function, he may take a second one, provided he looks after the first one."

i saw that floating on the internet, but cant find a reliable source for it.
my guess is that is answer enough that it is phony, but wonder if anyone here knows anything about it

Madame Vengier

I sincerely doubt this. We've had some popes with questionable behavior (way, way, way in the past) but GII is a canonized saint.

[center][img]http://saints.sqpn.com/saintg34.jpg[/img]
Pope Saint Gregory II[/center][url="http://www.thefreedictionary.com/decretal"][b]Decretal[/b][/url]: "[i]A decree, especially a papal letter giving a decision on a point or question of canon law.[/i]" Meaning this sort of decree is not necessarily exercising the magisterial teaching office of the Holy Father.

[url="http://saints.sqpn.com/saintg34.htm"][b]Pope Saint Gregory II[/b][/url] is indeed Saint of the Catholic Church, which on the surface alone makes this alleged quote highly questionable, and [b]unlikely[/b].

In the [b]unlikely and doubtful[/b] case that a [i]similar statement[/i] to the alleged quote was made, [i]by someone in the Church authority[/i], I would assume it may have something similar to do with this current Canon Law, [b][i]still it’s a big stretch of the imagination[/i][/b]:[quote][b][url="http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P44.HTM"]Code of Canon Law for the Latin Rite (1983)[/url][/b]
[b]Can. 1147[/b] For a grave cause, however, the local ordinary can allow a baptized party who uses the pauline privilege to contract marriage with a non-Catholic party, whether baptized or not baptized; the prescripts of the canons about mixed marriages are also to be observed.

[b]Can. 1148 §1.[/b] When he receives baptism in the Catholic Church, a non-baptized man who has several non-baptized wives at the same time [u]can retain one of them after the others have been dismissed, if it is hard for him to remain with the first one[/u]. The same is valid for a non-baptized woman who has several non-baptized husbands at the same time.
[b]§2.[/b] In the cases mentioned in (§1,) marriage must be contracted in legitimate form after baptism has been received, and the prescripts about mixed marriages, if necessary, and other matters required by the law are to be observed.
[b]§3.[/b] [u]Keeping in mind the moral, social, and economic conditions of places and of persons, the local ordinary is to take care that the needs of the first wife and the others dismissed are sufficiently provided for according to the norms of justice, Christian charity, and natural equity[/u].[/quote]A stretch of the imagination because, it is referring to non-Sacramental situations of non-Christians, whom convent, and are dealing with multiple supposed “[i]wives[/i]” in a natural marriage sense. It's not in reference to the accumulation of more.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1829498' date='Apr 8 2009, 09:57 PM']I sincerely doubt this. We've had some popes with questionable behavior (way, way, way in the past) but GII is a canonized saint.[/quote]
Hehe, have you read about the one pope that had the corpse of his predecessor put on trial for heresy?

dairygirl4u2c

i almost thought you were telling a joke "did you hear the one about the pope, the saint, the priest, and the nun?" "the pope walks into a bar... " etc

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='dairygirl4u2c' post='1829675' date='Apr 8 2009, 11:58 PM']i almost thought you were telling a joke "did you hear the one about the pope, the saint, the priest, and the nun?" "the pope walks into a bar... " etc[/quote]
Yea, I realized when it was too late that it sounded like that. :P

Actually happened though. They found him guilty, beheaded the corpse, and did some other mean stuff. The pope after that reversed all this. If I remember the story corectly.

It was all political.

DairyG,

Did you get the quote from sqpn.com?

I found it there thru [url="http://saints.sqpn.com/stb15015.htm"]this link[/url].

4th paragraph.

I have never heard of the website. It says it is Catholic.

-Paddington

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1829558' date='Apr 8 2009, 09:44 PM']Hehe, have you read about the one pope that had the corpse of his predecessor put on trial for heresy?[/quote]
Yes, Pope Stephen VI had the body of Pope Formosus exhumed and then put it on trial.

[quote][url="http://saints.sqpn.com/stb15015.htm"][b]Pope Gregory II Replies to Questions Put by Boniface[/b][/url] (November 22, 726)
"Your devout messenger Denual has brought us the welcome news that you are well and that, by the help of God, you are making progress in the work for which you were sent. He also delivered to us letters from you reporting that the field of the Lord which had long lain fallow and was overgrown with the weeds of pagan customs has now been ploughed up and sown with the truth of the Gospel, producing an abundant harvest of souls..."

"... As to what a man shall do if his wife is unable through illness to allow him his marital rights, it would be better if he remained apart and practised continence. But since this is practicable only in the case of men of high ideals, the best course if he is unable to be continent would be for him to marry. Nevertheless, he should continue to support the woman who is sick, unless she has contracted the disease through her own fault."[/quote]Even reading across this writing, it appears it is talking about non-Christians who have contracted a natural marriage of some kind, which his advice is similar to that of the present Canon Law as quoted before.

[b]But[/b], it does [b][u]not[/u][/b] read as the first poster quoted.

Edited by Mr.CatholicCat

[quote name='Winchester' post='1831004' date='Apr 10 2009, 02:56 PM']Suffering is redemptive, so taking on a second wife might have some merit.[/quote]

A proverb that may only have originated from the lips of a man with experience.

Edited by Ziggamafu