An Old School Catholic Message Board

Chi, Qi, Ki ?

jon2004

Madame Vengier

[quote name='philothea' post='1824040' date='Apr 3 2009, 11:26 PM']Okay, so chi is "energy flow" in a living body. Is there any way to define it either scientifically or in terms of Christian thought? Or is it solely an Eastern metaphysical concept?[/quote]

I can't believe you're asking this. As I already stated, I can't believe this is an argument/discussion at all. What next? Trying to prove that the sky is really blue and whether it contradicts the Faith?

Madame Vengier

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1824048' date='Apr 3 2009, 11:30 PM']Mmmmm... chai tea..... :coffee:[/quote]

And energy drinks!

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1824047' date='Apr 3 2009, 11:30 PM']I can't believe you're asking this. As I already stated, I can't believe this is an argument/discussion at all. What next? Trying to prove that the sky is really blue and whether it contradicts the Faith?[/quote]
You wanna answer the question like a big girl?

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Moosey' post='1824055' date='Apr 3 2009, 11:35 PM']You wanna answer the question like a big girl?[/quote]

This question has been answered. If you don't remember the answer from 4th grade science class, not my problem.

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1824047' date='Apr 3 2009, 10:30 PM']I can't believe you're asking this. As I already stated, I can't believe this is an argument/discussion at all. What next? Trying to prove that the sky is really blue and whether it contradicts the Faith?[/quote]
Then there's no problem with telling me the incredibly obvious, simple answer, right?

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1824029' date='Apr 3 2009, 11:18 PM']But you're sometimes wrong--by your own admittance, right? Or do you really not mean that when you say it, rather you just say it because you think you should?

It's hilarious to me that you're going to try to deny energy in the human body on religious grounds!!!! Are you going to post an excerpt from a Papal document to support that now?[/quote]
YES I AM SOMETIMES WRONG. I AM GIVING MY....OPINION, DO YOU NOT NOTICE I SAID "I THINK..." PLEASE, EVERY OTHER PERSON IN THIS DISCUSSION IS BEING RESPECTFUL ABOUT IT.

I am pointing out the Vatican's cautious approach to anything even semi-spiritual which discusses things like "energy" within the body; I am questioning whether the "chi" energy discussed by traditional Chinese beliefs is indeed the same as the biological energy understood by modern science, or if it in any way corresponds to electrical impulses in the body (central nervous system) or the ELF electrical fields around our bodies (which is present from all matter to varying degrees), or if it is a type of spiritual energy in the traditional belief.

Are you going to tell me that the term "chi" is never used in a metaphysical or quasi-spiritual way? That the ancient Chinese were all just secularists? or isn't it true, Madame, that it is intricately tied up in their ancient animism and for that reason, even if we now interpret it as biological energy, we ought to exercise some caution and evaluate it? I am not denying that there is energy in one's body, but "chi" is a traditional Chinese concept with many meanings that I do not see as being necessarily compatible with our understanding of the human body. I COULD BE WRONG (shock! gasp! since MV seems to think that I think I'm never wrong), but I'm giving up propositions to be refuted or strengthened by other posters depending upon whether they agree or disagree with me. please, by all means, show me where the traditional Chinese belief of "chi" is clearly stated to not be at all metaphysical in any context (many posters have already stated that when they learned about it, it was offered to them as a spiritual/metaphysical concept)

It would seem to me that you believe ISLAM=EVIL but all other cultural and religious practices throughout the world shouldn't even be questioned or approached with any caution whatsoever by a Christian... just so long as we don't pray to Mecca five times a day, I guess we're good.

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Moosey' post='1824068' date='Apr 3 2009, 11:42 PM']Well I wanted to know, personally :idontknow:[/quote]

And you expected me to answer you when you asked in such a nasty way? Puh-leeze. Retrace your steps back to your middle school education. Your teachers were paid for you to know this stuff.