An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholic Doctrine Doesn't Change.

the lumberjack

Guest JeffCR07

whats wrong with that explanation? Nothing.

Lets say a bunch of Anglican ministers are anti-semetic in their actions and even their preaching. That doesn't make Anglicanism anti-semitic, it simply makes certain Anglicans anti-semitic.

Similarly, if Catholics, even Catholic bishops (of which the Pope is one), do or preach something that is evil, that doesn't make Catholicism evil, only certain Catholics.

Thus, the Pope apologizes for those Catholics who have done wrong, whether in a position of authority within the Church or just a simple layperson. There is nothing to apologize for in the Church itself, that is, in the Faith, but rather, what we should be apologizing for is the sin and failings of the people who are within the Church and purport to follow the Church.

In Christ,

Jeff

Laudate_Dominum

Dang it!! I knew you were going to post in here LittleLes.. Only lumberjack and I are allowed to debate in this thread. Please respect the lumberjacks wishes. :(

And to all other PMers, please do not engage in debate in this thread.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm so tempted to reply but I can't. If you want to make a new thread I'll check it out, but I'm not as motivated to debate as I was last year so I can't promise much of an exchange. God bless.

[quote name='JeffCR07' date='Sep 4 2005, 10:22 PM']whats wrong with that explanation? Nothing.

Lets say a bunch of Anglican ministers are anti-semetic in their actions and even their preaching. That doesn't make Anglicanism anti-semitic, it simply makes certain Anglicans anti-semitic.

[/quote]

RESPONSE:

Lets say instead that the vast majority of Anglican ministers and their church leadership directed the evil.

Then it would be accurated to say that the Anglican church taught.....

The obvious error in saying that the Catholic Church never taught error is that an institution is not a person so it never teaches anything at all.

Only its "sons and daughter's" do. And thus the Church has taught error. Some of which we've apologized for without admiting that the Church was in error to begin with. We use the euphemism that it was its "sons and daughters."

And then apologists ccan continue to claim that the Church is error free! See how neat that works! ;)

LittleLes

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Sep 4 2005, 10:54 PM']Dang it!! I knew you were going to post in here LittleLes.. Only lumberjack and I are allowed to debate in this thread. Please respect the lumberjacks wishes. :(

And to all other PMers, please do not engage in debate in this thread.

Thanks.

P.S. I'm so tempted to reply but I can't. If you want to make a new thread I'll check it out, but I'm not as motivated to debate as I was last year so I can't promise much of an exchange. God bless.
[right][snapback]711262[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

Who is Lumberjack? I thought it was claimed that he doesn't post anymore? :unsure:

Does Phatmass allow two debaters to publish openly but restrict a thread to only their use? :sadder:

Laudate_Dominum

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Sep 5 2005, 07:39 AM']RESPONSE:

Who is Lumberjack? I thought it was claimed that he doesn't post anymore? :unsure:

Does Phatmass allow two debaters to publish openly but restrict a thread to only their use? :sadder:
[right][snapback]711691[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]
It's not a Phatmass rule, but the creator of the thread requested it, "Laudate Dominum ONLY, please."

If you want to debate something based on something in this thread just start a new thread. It's not really a big deal. It's just something people do when they want a more focused discussion.

[quote name='Laudate_Dominum' date='Sep 5 2005, 08:13 AM']It's not a Phatmass rule, but the creator of the thread requested it, "Laudate Dominum ONLY, please."

If you want to debate something based on something in this thread just start a new thread. It's not really a big deal. It's just something people do when they want a more focused discussion.
[right][snapback]711711[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

RESPONSE:

Do both of you have e-mail addresses? Wouldn't using that be better than a public form if you wanted to exclude others? :detective:

[quote name='LittleLes' date='Sep 5 2005, 04:02 PM']RESPONSE:

Do both of you have e-mail addresses? Wouldn't using that be better than a public form if you wanted to exclude others? :detective:
[right][snapback]712190[/snapback][/right]
[/quote]

???

I suppose one-on-one presidental debates should be held in private.

One-on-one theological debating sessions are held at public events, why not on an internet forum?