An Old School Catholic Message Board

Lay Ecclesial Ministry

TeresaBenedicta

Lay Ecclesial Ministry [LEM]  

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

You misread my post, I was not being sarcastic; instead, I was being deadly serious.

God grant you many joyful years,
Todd

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1823615' date='Apr 3 2009, 03:27 PM']Although the Roman Church has suppressed most of the minor orders, it still holds to the tradition that one is only a minister through sacred ordination (cf. John Paul II, [i]Christifideles Laici[/i], no. 23).[/quote]
Thank you.

I think the term Lay Ministry refers to those ministries within the church that can licitly be done by the laity. I don't think that you can negate the importance of youth ministry or sacramental preparation by saying that they aren't ministries unless an ordained minister is the only person doing the ministry. That's a big difference away from saying that a lay person could "administer" the sacraments.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1823909' date='Apr 3 2009, 06:27 PM']I think the term Lay Ministry refers to those ministries within the church that can licitly be done by the laity. I don't think that you can negate the importance of youth ministry or sacramental preparation by saying that they aren't ministries unless an ordained minister is the only person doing the ministry. That's a big difference away from saying that a lay person could "administer" the sacraments.[/quote]
That one is deputed to do something in an extraordinary circumstance based upon his baptism does not make him a minister. The term "lay minister" is oxymoronic.

Edited by Apotheoun

[b][i]"Do Not Be Afraid"[/i][/b]

LEM are adjunct, support staff in the parish. With proper training & education (which is readily available in my diocese) we provide visitation, faith formation, administration, prayer services, are EM, etc; most anything that does not involve consecration or anything else that is under the mantle of the ordained.

There are plenty of service opportunities that an informed lay minister can provide in support of their pastor. Who, by the way, is not omnipresent and needs our support so he can do only what he can do.

After completing a 2-year program sponsored by my diocese, I was commissioned by my Bishop and afterwards re-commissioned to service in my parish by my pastor. Learning is a lifelong process and I am still alive.

My only claim to goodness can be that my pastor recognized my heart was turned towards God and he encouraged me to pursue this path. Sadly, he has been moved to another flock. However, our new pastor also endorses LEM and has continued and expanded our role in the parish.

We are not lone rangers. We are accountable to our pastor, the pastoral council, and to our Lord.

Just found this on Savior.org (Eucharistic Adoration site):

[b]We are Called On To Be Saints!

Vatican II reaffirmed the call of all the baptized to live lives of virtue and holiness. For holiness is not only the realm of religious and priests but of all the baptized.

By virtue of baptism, all the laity share in the holiness of Christ and thus share the responsibility of showing forth that holiness to the world.

Featured are some of the laity that have heeded their baptismal call to be shining beacons of the transforming grace of Christ to the world.

May they inspire you with their lives of heroic sanctity and enable you by their prayers to follow Christ more faithfully in your daily life.[/b]

Let's not confuse Lay Ecclesial Ministry with Ordained Ministers.
Let's also not underestimate the Calling of the Baptized.