An Old School Catholic Message Board

Cd's And Dvd's

Theologian in Training

Theologian in Training

So, a while back I got an Apple TV. I thought it was pretty amazing, interesting that you could rent and watch movies, etc. However, I found that it was being used very infrequently, until recently.

I heard about this program that allows you to make a digital copy of your DVD in order to watch it on your Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, etc. However, I found out that this is actually illegal to do, at least in the USA.

So, here's my question, why?

If we own them why aren't we allowed to do with them what we want, like converting them into other formats so we are not restricted to watching them with a DVD player?

I know there are copyrights and the rest, but those exist for CD's as well. Is it an effort to preserve the DVD in a growing digital age?

Honestly, this does not make sense to me, because I own the DVD, I am not uploading them to a p2p or Torrent, just taking away some of the clutter that DVD's cause and making them more "universal" for my day to day purposes. I still own the DVD, it's in my closet now, but still, I own it. Personally, I can't, in good conscience sell it back, nor can I do the same with CD's, but that is another issue.

My question then, is why is it illegal to the same with DVD's that you can do with CD's?

Any insights most welcome

Edited by Theologian in Training

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1820387' date='Mar 30 2009, 12:20 PM']So, a while back I got an Apple TV. I thought it was pretty amazing, interesting that you could rent and watch movies, etc. However, I found that it was being used very infrequently, until recently.

I heard about this program that allows you to make a digital copy of your DVD in order to watch it on your Apple TV, iPod, iPhone, etc. However, I found out that this is actually illegal to do, at least in the USA.

So, here's my question, why?

If we own them why aren't we allowed to do with them what we want, like converting them into other formats so we are not restricted to watching them with a DVD player?

I know there are copyrights and the rest, but those exist for CD's as well. Is it an effort to preserve the DVD in a growing digital age?

Honestly, this does not make sense to me, because I own the DVD, I am not uploading them to a p2p or Torrent, just taking away some of the clutter that DVD's cause and making them more "universal" for my day to day purposes. I still own the DVD, it's in my closet now, but still, I own it. Personally, I can't, in good conscience sell it back, nor can I do the same with CD's, but that is another issue.

My question then, is why is it illegal to the same with DVD's that you can do with CD's?

Any insights most welcome[/quote]

So, I take it no one has any insights into this or everyone is doing the same but just don't want to admit it ;)

I don't do Apple. I do transfer CD's on to my mp3, so I don't see a difference. I'm sure to their mind it is a licensing thing. They want people to have to buy the same thing twice.

eagle_eye222001

I don't have Apple TV....I do use Itunes and transfer CD's my family owns to it. I don't see any moral qualms with that. :mellow:

I mean....come on......buy the same thing twice when you already own it? I was under the impression your fine as long as you don't start giving a copy to everyone you know or something like that.....then it's questionable at worst.

----------------
Listening to: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/linkin+park/track/shadow+of+the+day"]Linkin Park - Shadow of the Day[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='Theologian in Training' post='1820387' date='Mar 30 2009, 11:20 AM']My question then, is why is it illegal to the same with DVD's that you can do with CD's?

Any insights most welcome[/quote]

For real? It's an ignorant, money-grubbing power grab by big media. There is absolutely no sensible, moral reason why you shouldn't be able to store and view products you've purchased, in any way you want.

But it's still illegal. <_<

cmotherofpirl

Its just a way to get your money. It might be illegal, but that doesn't make it immoral - after all you did purchase the product, so I don't see why changing the format you use is anyone's business.

We had a big discussion in an earlier thread about this, I think I came to the conclusion that you are not buying the actual product, but something like license. You are not buying the actual song or movie - its not "Free Bird by rkwright" or "Jaws by rkwright".

That being said, there is something very odd here. If you buy the movie on iTunes, you can play it on iTunes, AppleTV, your iPod - I think you can even burn it to a CD (correct?). But if you go to a store and buy it, you can only play it on your DVD player. Seems screwy to me.

I say, be reasonable. I have CDs that I put on my computer because I don't want to switch out CDs over and over. And I made a mix of my favorite songs. Wrong? I don't think so... If you buy it, you can use it how you want. But you can't claim it or distribute it.

Theologian in Training

[quote name='Sacred Music Man' post='1821076' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:41 PM']I think you only purchase the rights to using the product... that's what a lot of EULAs say nowadays :detective:[/quote]

Even so, I am not purchasing the DVD, I am purchasing the movie or TV show on the DVD. The DVD is merely the medium upon which it is available. The restrictions, again, are placed on the DVD. I don't understand why those restrictions exist, especially in this "digital age" where things are now designed to accommodate digital storage and playback.

Besides, I have bought TV shows or movies from iTunes and, honestly, they are very poor quality in comparison to what I can get when I "rip" a DVD.

The overarching question is this, if it is a law are we morally obligated to follow it? The justice or injustice of is relative to country, it seems, so how does how the morality of this situation apply to something that is relative?

Theologian in Training

[quote name='rkwright' post='1821079' date='Mar 31 2009, 12:47 PM']We had a big discussion in an earlier thread about this, I think I came to the conclusion that you are not buying the actual product, but something like license. You are not buying the actual song or movie - its not "Free Bird by rkwright" or "Jaws by rkwright".

That being said, there is something very odd here. If you buy the movie on iTunes, you can play it on iTunes, AppleTV, your iPod - I think you can even burn it to a CD (correct?). But if you go to a store and buy it, you can only play it on your DVD player. Seems screwy to me.

I say, be reasonable. I have CDs that I put on my computer because I don't want to switch out CDs over and over. And I made a mix of my favorite songs. Wrong? I don't think so... If you buy it, you can use it how you want. But you can't claim it or distribute it.[/quote]

They do have the "digital copies" included with SOME DVD's but not all, what of those that don't, do we have to re-buy, digitally, (or wait for those that are not on DVD to become digital) everything we own in order to make it legit?

Groo the Wanderer

In the US, copying your own stuff for personal use can be illegal under the DRCA. However, other 'fair use' laws on the books also permit one to do just this. It is just a matter of time before a real challenge is mounted in the courts. The law was passed to satisfy lobbyists of the RIAA.

The law is not morally just. I prefer to copy my stuff and use the copy so that if it gets scratched, warped, destroyed, etc - I don't have to shell out more $$ for another copy. I do not sell or distribute copies to anyone and I sure don't listen to or play the original and the copy at the same time...that would just be weird anyway.

SO...for those who wish to do so, do a Google search for dvdshrink. It works with Nero to make an editable DVD image for burning. One can use it to remove all the annoying features if one wishes as well (bonus clips, subtitles in Farsi, etc)

Groo, I think we all agree with you...

Can someone expand on why this DMCA stuff is not morally just? Or a counterpoint?