An Old School Catholic Message Board

Would Islam be more effective in fighting AIDS

bonkers

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1813435' date='Mar 21 2009, 04:55 PM']The Church has always said that practices can be changed in certain cases depending on the prevailing culture.
Disciplines, not doctrine. Not belief.

If it communicates the truth better to a different culture, that's a fairly important thing to consider.

On a very trivial level, in Africa and other hot climates, cassocks may be white, while everywhere else they must be black or dark blue or sometimes grey.[/quote]

I don't think we're talking about the same thing.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1813512' date='Mar 21 2009, 07:26 PM']I don't think we're talking about the same thing.[/quote]
Likely not. Something got missed in communication. (Hate when that happens.)

I have a feeling we're more or less on the same page in this.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1811684' date='Mar 19 2009, 02:17 PM']Well I don't know, many atheist seem to be bitter people, including you bonkers, just saying. On the web they often come to Christian website show that bitterness, bitterness doesn't seem very free. Why they actually come to Christian websites is something that makes me think, do they deep down question their faith in the no god and seek the happiness that Christians have, or do they come to vindicate their faith to try and rid themselves of that doubt in the no god.[/quote]

Or do we come to amuse ourselves? ;) I'd say it's probably a little of the latter, though I'm pretty convinced the catholic god isn't real. Why do Christians go to atheist websites? Is it secretly because they desire to be strong willed and free thinking like the atheist, or because they secretely doubt and mask their doubt with hostility? I dunno.. I'd say mostly because people like talking about it and trying to influence others.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='bonkers' post='1813892' date='Mar 22 2009, 02:16 AM']Or do we come to amuse ourselves? ;) I'd say it's probably a little of the latter, though I'm pretty convinced the catholic god isn't real. Why do Christians go to atheist websites? Is it secretly because they desire to be strong willed and free thinking like the atheist, or because they secretely doubt and mask their doubt with hostility? I dunno.. I'd say mostly because people like talking about it and trying to influence others.[/quote]
In theory it's because we think that your immortal souls are in serious danger.

Bit of a difference there.

There's no atheist hell for believers.

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1811732' date='Mar 19 2009, 03:13 PM']:yes:

Bonkers, whether you mean to or not, you do seem very bitter.

It makes it very difficult to believe that you actually are "free." You come off very angry, prejudice, and bitter a lot of the time. :ohno:[/quote]

I react quite bitterly to what I perceive as ignorance and arrogance, something I think there's quite a lot of on here. Many of the Catholics here appeared extremely bitter when Obama won the election. Some people said they were going to go out and buy guns, barricade themselves inside their homes, refuse to pay taxes and leave the country and I recall quite a few personal attacks against Obama's character, such as accusing him of being the anti-christ, a baby-killer, secret Muslim, phoney Christian etc. It did get quite nasty, and some people like myself felt compelled to respond. The truth is, everyone gets angry. Doesn't the abortion issue make you angry? Does this inhibit your sense of freedom? As I said, how free we feel is just a percpetion thing. I feel much "free-er" as an non-believer than I ever did as a Christian.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1813898' date='Mar 22 2009, 02:29 AM']In theory it's because we think that your immortal souls are in serious danger.

Bit of a difference there.

There's no atheist hell for believers.[/quote]

There's the shame and pity of devoting your life to a figment of your imagination. In theory we might be trying to "save" you from that. ;) I don't think all christians who go to atheist boards are trying to save souls, given there are some very nice Christian folk out there, and there are some who would actually secretly like for atheists to go to hell.

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='bonkers' post='1813901' date='Mar 22 2009, 02:44 AM']there are some who would actually secretly like for atheists to go to hell.[/quote]
Not so secretly even.
You're probably right, but then again, if that's the case then they aren't following Christianity particularly well.

The perfect practice of Christianity wants to convert you so that you may also be saved. The perfect practice of atheist just doesn't care what anybody does one way or another.

[quote name='Saint Therese' post='1811804' date='Mar 19 2009, 03:02 PM']Probably. They get their heads chopped off for fornication and adultery. Probably a big incentive to keep ones' knickers on.[/quote]
I actually agree on that

Fornication is not punished by death, adultry, if punishable by death, which traditionally is a very difficult thing to prove, is by stoning, not beheading. According to Umar anyway. And there is dispute over that. I guess while it's fun to just come up with what seems like it could be true and attribute it to Islamic fiqh its probably not fair.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1814676' date='Mar 23 2009, 12:24 AM']Fornication is not punished by death, adultry, if punishable by death, which traditionally is a very difficult thing to prove, is by stoning, not beheading. According to Umar anyway. And there is dispute over that. I guess while it's fun to just come up with what seems like it could be true and attribute it to Islamic fiqh its probably not fair.[/quote]

I know they don't get beheaded. Stoning is what I was tought. and isn't it usually public?

[quote name='Christie_M' post='1814677' date='Mar 23 2009, 01:29 AM']I know they don't get beheaded. Stoning is what I was tought. and isn't it usually public?[/quote]

I'm sorry that was really to Saint Theresa. I have always heard of it being public. I think that comed from Umar, however the Qur'an says fornication in general and does not assign death to the parties. I think Umar said that the part of the Qur'an that did make stoning the punishment for adultry was lost. I guess it depends on how trustworthy you consider the Hadith and how much weight the Muslim scholar gives Umar's oppinion. If there are any Hadith of Muhammad commanding stoning I don't know of it, althout there absolutly could be some. This really isin't something I know much about.

desertwoman

The AIDS situation in Africa will be curved through education like was stated before. It needs to be known that raping a newborn will not cure you of AIDS nor raping a virgin will cure you of AIDS. There are many myths running around about cures and (of course) none are true.

I believe that the people who are infected desperately want to find a cure for their ailment (like anyone else) and will believe anything to rid themselves of it, but it's all for not. More education of how the disease is spread should be made known and how to prevent it should be taught besides saying that it is a white man's disease and so forth.

Do a major campaign like what was done here, which caused a good down turn of AIDS, and educate the masses.

I'm still thinking of ways to help curve the AIDS epidemic in the black community in the states. So many young women are turning up with AIDS due to down low brothers and their infidelity, the theory that it can't happen to me, and the who cares if I go down then I'm taking all with me mentality as well.