An Old School Catholic Message Board

Venial Sins

dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

i've done this topic before, but never really gotten to a very conclusive point.
figured i'd try again.

so what happens to unrepented venial sins at death?
pretty basic question but it doesn't seem to be answered.
there's a definite attraction to some of the simplicity (not that that's the truth or answer) to protestant ideas when the alternative is so obscure- ie it's just all erased end of discussion.

if you're intending to repent of them, or confess, then we can assume they would be forgiven. but this is not talking about this hypothetical.

with the premise being that all perfect must be in heaven, and no forgiveness in the next life.
(just saying they remain on your soul doesn't explain how they are forgiven.)

there's a few ways one might resolve this that i could see, and were i a catholic i'd argue: 1. they are forgiven because they are merely venial, and there's a inherent premise here that they would not gonna hell bound ya for something so small, and you'd see the error of your ways in heaven and change 2. they are forgiven because you have general repentence even if a specific venial sin X is not repented for, and it's assumed that you'd change once ya saw heaven 3. i assume unrepentant venial sins are forgiven in eucharist? this isn't isn't defined very well. but, i assume they are as that's the general rule. one might also argue, that your intention to receive eucharist is sufficient to forgive you even though unrepentant? there's still that lack in time though, and this is an argument i don't think i've heard before. ie, i've heard and it makes sense that if you intend to confess etc that you could be forgiven, but intending merely to get a loophole forgiveness seems trite, in a sense. but in another sense, receiving the eucharist is pretty big business, so 4. there's also the possibility that you'd have a last minute death grace given by God to repent, while alive. this gets around the technicality that you can't be forgiven after ya die, at least per orthodoxy. 5. there's also the possiblity, if one is willing to look past orthodoxy, though, that you could be forgiven in the next life 6. catholics also believe in atonment etc type theology, so maybe what's left is simply erased for Jesus' sake. like that first option "God just looks the other way", but including the Jesus thing

the second one is good, because if you don't intend to change, and you have no repentence as is the premise of this question at least even generally it'd seem that you'd be hell bound, at least in my mind. the only way the first one would work is to assume God will just look the other way, if general repentence isn't at least involved.
one and two both have a flaw downside of assuming you'd be repentent, or change, in heaven. but this could be said to be fixed while in purgatory.

people often assume that the forgiveness occurs in purgatory. but, the idea of purgatory is merely taht you do time basically for the temporal punishment remaining for already forgiven sins. my quesion involves nonrepentent and therefore unforgiven sins.
the basic question of how these sins get absolved is left remaining. that's why i ask.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

HisChildForever

I believe you go to Purgatory with venial sin on your soul. Furthermore, I have heard that even if you die clean from all sin you can still go to Purgatory because while your sins have been forgiven, there may have been consequences (like someone else got hurt in the process due to your sin, etc.).

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a contrite heart you can ask God for forgiveness for your venial sin(s) and the slate will be wiped clean, so to speak.

I could be wrong though.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1804292' date='Mar 11 2009, 10:08 PM']I believe you go to Purgatory with venial sin on your soul. Furthermore, I have heard that even if you die clean from all sin you can still go to Purgatory because while your sins have been forgiven, there may have been consequences (like someone else got hurt in the process due to your sin, etc.).

And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you have a contrite heart you can ask God for forgiveness for your venial sin(s) and the slate will be wiped clean, so to speak.

I could be wrong though.[/quote]

I *think* your answer is correct. Venial sins merit purgatory.

dairygirl4u2c

how do they get forgiven in purgatory then?
are ya assuming that the rule "no forgiveness of sins post death" is not true?
(as i noted in my initial post, the effects of the sins could be fixed in purgatory, and you could become no longer attached to the sins there, but that doesn't say that you'd forgiven of them. also said i said, purgatory is defined as the place where the temporal punishment, or purgation, occurs, due to sins that have already been forgiven. my hypo assume not repented and so not forgiven.)

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

reading the catho encyclo, would seem to suggest the venial sins are forgiven after death. which would mean the orthodox standard of no forgiveness after death is not completley true.
i always heard the technical definitions of purgatory, not defined that way as the Catho encylo defines.

"For unrepented venial faults for the payment of temporal punishment due to sin at time of death, the Church has always taught the doctrine of purgatory. "
"The Catholic doctrine of purgatory supposes the fact that some die with smaller faults for which there was no true repentance, and also the fact that the temporal penalty due to sin is it times not wholly paid in this life. "

i guess that asnwers my question, if this is the official answer.

Edited by dairygirl4u2c

dairygirl4u2c

now ya'll (if ya didn't already know the answer to this question) can show up other people: ie, it is incorrect to say, "sins cannot be forgiven after this life" andor "temporal punishment forgiveness only in purgatory" (i've heard both before), if the quotes above are correct.