An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sing Like Catholics: Get Rid Of Contemporary Liturgical Music

Roamin'Catholic

Roamin'Catholic

Ughh; I just read the (closed) thread about "entrance hymns"; it made me want to puke.
Resurrexi was the only one on their defending orthodoxy. As St. Paul said, you fought the good fight.
The comments from the others were sooooo condensending (typical of the liturgical modernists crowd)- chants too hard, people aren't interested in chant, want to sing songs so everyone can participate, etc.
Besides being outright lies each and everyone of them (chant is too hard- lie; people aren't interested in chant-lie; want to sing songs so everyone can participate- lie) they cut to the core as to why contemporary liturgical music is not appropriate for Mass. Read the documents from Vatican II (I know, asking liturgical modernists to actually read Vatican II is an excersise in and of itself).
The sing songy stuff that you claim is for everyone's participation- well sorry to break it to you, no one is participating. You might occasionally hear a soft wisper rise from the pews, but in general, it is the choir and their egos that do the most musical particpation. The further the parish moves from polyphony and chant, the less participation. And, singing is not the only way one participates. You actually have A LOT MORE participation at masses with chant, because the as the Church has rightfully recognized, chant is a superior form of music, that envokes complete prayful participation. So while your modernist music is inspiring no one and causing everyone to daydream(but the Choir is sure having a good time!) the chant and polyphony masses are reaching near 100% prayful participation due to the superiority of the music. Contemporary music does not do the Mass justice, and is so weak; I'm embarrassed when non-Catholics come to Mass and we have contemporary liturgical music. Because then the non-Catholic turns to me and says, "Gee, you have the same awful music that we have at my place of worship. I thought you Catholics knew a thing or two about sacred music?"

I guess me and the other under 40 crowd at my parish will continue to lament that each Sunday we are unable to enjoy the music of the Church because as you arrogant church musicians say- Us people in the pews, we're just too stupid to sing chant.

Let's please sing like Catholics. The Church has spoken when it comes to its music, and no where did they say anything about Contemporary Liturgical Music. Sacred Music Only!!!

Edited by Roamin'Catholic

puellapaschalis

[quote name='Maria Faustina' post='1801520' date='Mar 9 2009, 09:16 PM']Amen.[/quote]

+1

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Roamin'Catholic' post='1801508' date='Mar 9 2009, 04:11 PM']Ughh; I just read the (closed) thread about "entrance hymns"; it made me want to puke.
Resurrexi was the only one on their defending orthodoxy. As St. Paul said, you fought the good fight.
The comments from the others were sooooo condensending (typical of the liturgical modernists crowd)- chants too hard, people aren't interested in chant, want to sing songs so everyone can participate, etc.
Besides being outright lies each and everyone of them (chant is too hard- lie; people aren't interested in chant-lie; want to sing songs so everyone can participate- lie) they cut to the core as to why contemporary liturgical music is not appropriate for Mass. Read the documents from Vatican II (I know, asking liturgical modernists to actually read Vatican II is an excersise in and of itself).
The sing songy stuff that you claim is for everyone's participation- well sorry to break it to you, no one is participating. You might occasionally hear a soft wisper rise from the pews, but in general, it is the choir and their egos that do the most musical particpation. The further the parish moves from polyphony and chant, the less participation. And, singing is not the only way one participates. You actually have A LOT MORE participation at masses with chant, because the as the Church has rightfully recognized, chant is a superior form of music, that envokes complete prayful participation. So while your modernist music is inspiring no one and causing everyone to daydream(but the Choir is sure having a good time!) the chant and polyphony masses are reaching near 100% prayful participation due to the superiority of the music. Contemporary music does not do the Mass justice, and is so weak; I'm embarrassed when non-Catholics come to Mass and we have contemporary liturgical music. Because then the non-Catholic turns to me and says, "Gee, you have the same awful music that we have at my place of worship. I thought you Catholics knew a thing or two about sacred music?"

I guess me and the other under 40 crowd at my parish will continue to lament that each Sunday we are unable to enjoy the music of the Church because as you arrogant church musicians say- Us people in the pews, we're just too stupid to sing chant.

Let's please sing like Catholics. The Church has spoken when it comes to its music, and no where did they say anything about Contemporary Liturgical Music. Sacred Music Only!!![/quote]

Your response is condesending, inaccurate and rude.

Neither Catherine M or I are liturgical modernists, sorry if you are incapable of accepting the honesty of our replies. I have been singing in Church in Latin AND in English since before you were born, and I'm in a parish where the choir and the faithful both sing. Neither people in the pews nor the choir directors are the least interested in returning to latin chant.

I have had 15 years of professional vocal training. I can reach from contralto to mezo without straining myself. I was in my first stage musical at 5 years old, and started singing in church not long after that. I have cantored for a archbishop. Sung more Latin than you probably even know. I have experienced the beauty of singing the litany at an ordination as my grandmother and great-grandmother did before me. It has it's time and place, and I would drop if I had to sing it every Sunday.

Traditionalists often talk as if the chants from 1000 years ago are the only music the church has ever used. So what did we sing for the first 1000 years? Perhaps you should check out some of the work music historians are doing on early church psalms. Chant fell into disfavor for centuries until it was revived in the 19th century. Chant done well is beautiful and uplifting, but done right, it rarely involves the majority of the congregation. Chant done poorly makes me ill in the way that contemporary music does you.

Just because I do not agree with you, does not make me wrong and you right.

Consider, as well, pure stylistic differences. I have a great love and respect for traditional music in the liturgy, yet I don't particularly care for chant. Yes, the lyrics are beautiful, but I find the lack of harmony boring. Most people, especially those not accustomed to those styles of music, tend to agree with me. It's not that I hate chant--done reverently, it can be nice--it's just not my preference.

Please don't talk down to me because I have different tastes.

You mean, you don't like this kind of music?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8tsf24iYbc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8tsf24iYbc[/url]

I can't even tell if this is Catholic. This was the entrance hymn of Cardinal Mahoney's Religious Heresy... err I mean Education Congress.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1801587' date='Mar 9 2009, 01:45 PM']So what did we sing for the first 1000 years?[/quote]
I don't know but I bet they were some what similar to Gregorian Chant and definitely not contemporary music.

Edited by doe-jo

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1801609' date='Mar 9 2009, 01:54 PM']Consider, as well, pure stylistic differences. I have a great love and respect for traditional music in the liturgy, yet I don't particularly care for chant. Yes, the lyrics are beautiful, but [b] I find the lack of harmony boring.[/b] Most people, especially those not accustomed to those styles of music, tend to agree with me. It's not that I hate chant--done reverently, it can be nice--it's just not my preference.

Please don't talk down to me because I have different tastes.[/quote]
Is this enough harmony for you? :))

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TfAyX8l5-g"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TfAyX8l5-g[/url]

When you can put up poorly done chant links to youtube for a true comparison, then I shall watch your links. it's hardly a fair comparison otherwise. A youtube link to Rosanne's rendition of the National Anthem would not be an objective argument that we should change our national anthem.

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1801645' date='Mar 9 2009, 02:09 PM']When you can put up poorly done chant links to youtube for a true comparison, then I shall watch your links. it's hardly a fair comparison otherwise. A youtube link to Rosanne's rendition of the National Anthem would not be an objective argument that we should change our national anthem.[/quote]
why does it have to be a poorly done chant. anything poorly done is ugly.

why don't we compare a well done chant/polyphony to a well done contemporary song?

Edited by doe-jo

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='doe-jo' post='1801626' date='Mar 9 2009, 05:01 PM']You mean, you don't like this kind of music?

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8tsf24iYbc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8tsf24iYbc[/url]

I can't even tell if this is Catholic. This was the entrance hymn of Cardinal Mahoney's Religious Heresy... err I mean Education Congress.[/quote]
""Here in this time, here in this place, here we are standing face to face.
Here in our hearts, here in our lives, our God is here."

So you think singing about God is a bad thing?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='doe-jo' post='1801649' date='Mar 9 2009, 05:11 PM']why don't we compare a well done chant/polyphony to a well done contemporary song?[/quote]

What would be the point? Chant or singing the Mass parts in Latin is a performance, a contempory song is one people are actually willing to sing. BIG difference. I used to sing at the Cathedral in Latin, we were always complimented on our performance, trouble is - Mass shouldn't be performance art.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1801653' date='Mar 9 2009, 02:13 PM']""Here in this time, here in this place, here we are standing face to face.
Here in our hearts, here in our lives, our God is here."

So you think singing about God is a bad thing?[/quote]
no definitely not...

but I think some songs are far more superior than others. songs that appeal not only to the soul but also the to the intellect... and God just doesn't take anything from anyone - Cain and Abel - He wants the best.

[b]Our God is here[/b]
Here in this time, here in this place,
here we are standing face to face.
Here in our hearts, here in our lives,
our God is here.
Here for the broken, here for the strong,
here in this temple we belong.
Here in our hearts, here in our lives,
our God is here.
And we cry:
Refrain
“Holy! Holy! Holy are you!”