An Old School Catholic Message Board

Brazilian "rape Row" Sparks Excommunications

MissyP89

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='MissyP89' post='1800298' date='Mar 8 2009, 01:17 AM']I was more talking about the mother, but this applies too. :)[/quote]
My mistake.
Well the mother was likely pressured too. By doctors, peers, other family...

AccountDeleted

I doubt that anyone even gave the young girl a choice in the matter. How will she feel years from now about the murder of her unborn children? Yes, excommunication was necessary - they all need to understand what they have done wrong, to the babies and to this young girl as well.

rhetoricfemme

[quote name='RandomProddy' post='1798943' date='Mar 6 2009, 10:00 AM']What happened to the rapist?[/quote]

According to [url="http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Vatican+defends+excommunication+Brazilian+girl+abortion/1370174/story.html"]this article from the Ottowa Citizen:[/url]
[i]
Police said the 23-year-old stepfather also allegedly sexually abused the girl's physically handicapped 14-year-old sister.

He was arrested a week ago and is being kept in protective custody. If convicted, he faces up to 15 years in prison.[/i]

Fifteen years is no long enough for this man...

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='rhetoricfemme' post='1802715' date='Mar 10 2009, 03:07 PM']According to [url="http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/Vatican+defends+excommunication+Brazilian+girl+abortion/1370174/story.html"]this article from the Ottowa Citizen:[/url]
[i]
Police said the 23-year-old stepfather also allegedly sexually abused the girl's physically handicapped 14-year-old sister.

He was arrested a week ago and is being kept in protective custody. If convicted, he faces up to 15 years in prison.[/i]

Fifteen years is no long enough for this man...[/quote]
This is one of the reasons I in good conscience can believe in the selective use of the death penalty, but that is for a different thread.

[quote name='RandomProddy' post='1798943' date='Mar 6 2009, 01:00 PM']What happened to the rapist?[/quote]

Apparently he just needs to go to confession.

The little girl was not simply to young to birth this children, her uterus was to small to contain them. If this was not an instance where abortion could be permitted I cannot imagain what would be.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1800462' date='Mar 8 2009, 01:48 PM']My mistake.
Well the mother was likely pressured too. By doctors, peers, other family...[/quote]

I didn't see any information saying she was pressured, if she was I suppose that some doctors get all hung up on their nine year old patiens dying when their uterus is physically unable to contain the twins growing inside her.

I guess they should have given her some morphine and a rosary <_<

It is Church law that procuring an abortion, or even supporting abortion, entails excommunication. There's nothing new here - just a public clarification of the law regarding a highly-publicized case.

And I don't know where the hell people are getting the idea the Church is cool with rape. Obviously, an unrepentant rapist can't receive communion either. Pure nonsense.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hassan' post='1802795' date='Mar 10 2009, 04:39 PM']Apparently he just needs to go to confession.

The little girl was not simply to young to birth this children, her uterus was to small to contain them. If this was not an instance where abortion could be permitted I cannot imagain what would be.[/quote]
He needs to go to jail for the rest of his unnatural life, although anyone who has sex with a 9 year old should be put to death.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1803109' date='Mar 10 2009, 08:20 PM']He needs to go to jail for the rest of his unnatural life, although anyone who has sex with a 9 year old should be put to death.[/quote]

Speaking of which, I thought these sorts of threads wern't allowed :unsure:

I guess the problem people have is the apparent lack of mercy. The girl could not survive having these twins. The doctors performed the abortion to save her life and they, along with her mother were excommunicated. They are formerly excommunicated the gentleman apparently needs to go to confession.

Small woman giving birth to large baby = potentially deadly (for both mother and baby), particularly in an area where health care is iffy. [url="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/beautiful/birth.html"]Brief overview of the problem[/url]

In a situation like this, there is unlikely to be a happy ending, no matter what decision is made. If a small nine year old girl carried twins to term...it would quite possibly kill her. This is a situation where the threat is serious, and the options to save her will likely be deadly to the children. Inducing early is possible, but....

Basically, there are a million abortions performed on healthy adult women (who became pregnant consensually) carrying healthy fetuses with access to good health care in this country every year. I see no need to single out this girl's family for their decision - the excommunication is automatic, so it happens regardless of whether or not the bishop says anything.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hassan' post='1803111' date='Mar 10 2009, 10:23 PM']Speaking of which, I thought these sorts of threads wern't allowed :unsure:[/quote]

There is nothing wrong with advocating the use of capital punishment for such a heinous crime.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1803182' date='Mar 10 2009, 10:30 PM']There is nothing wrong with advocating the use of capital punishment for such a heinous crime.[/quote]

"Child Rape" :unsure:

:saint:

I don't actually care, I was just kidding with you.

[quote name='MithLuin' post='1803174' date='Mar 10 2009, 10:24 PM']Small woman giving birth to large baby = potentially deadly (for both mother and baby), particularly in an area where health care is iffy. [url="http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/beautiful/birth.html"]Brief overview of the problem[/url]

In a situation like this, there is unlikely to be a happy ending, no matter what decision is made. If a small nine year old girl carried twins to term...it would quite possibly kill her. This is a situation where the threat is serious, and the options to save her will likely be deadly to the children. Inducing early is possible, but....

Basically, there are a million abortions performed on healthy adult women (who became pregnant consensually) carrying healthy fetuses with access to good health care in this country every year. I see no need to single out this girl's family for their decision - the excommunication is automatic, so it happens regardless of whether or not the bishop says anything.[/quote]

I thought abortion was allowed when the life of the mother was in grave peril.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Hassan' post='1803186' date='Mar 10 2009, 11:33 PM']I thought abortion was allowed when the life of the mother was in grave peril.[/quote]
A direct abortion is always murder.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1803246' date='Mar 10 2009, 11:18 PM']A direct abortion is always murder.[/quote]

So they should have let the little girl die?