An Old School Catholic Message Board

Pic Of Sr. Rosalind In New Veil

Gemma

Looks like the St. Cecilia Dominicans' (can anyone tell me what's in the background?). Scroll down.

[url="http://www.stmarysstillwater.org/"]http://www.stmarysstillwater.org/[/url]

Blessings,
Gemma

Piccoli Fiori JMJ

[quote name='Gemma' post='1797157' date='Mar 4 2009, 07:30 AM']Looks like the St. Cecilia Dominicans' (can anyone tell me what's in the background?). Scroll down.

[url="http://www.stmarysstillwater.org/"]http://www.stmarysstillwater.org/[/url]

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]
It looks like a cat to me, but I think I might see cats everywhere... :wacko:

Can someone clarify for me the reason for the religious garb? I thought that was not yet permitted in public. :o

[quote name='stlmom' post='1797283' date='Mar 4 2009, 02:00 PM']Can someone clarify for me the reason for the religious garb? I thought that was not yet permitted in public. :o[/quote]

It's such a small picture but to me it still looks like their postulant veil - which I do believe they have permission to wear. Of course my information could be old..last I saw anything on the community was October of last year...that's where I saw that they had postulant habits.

Pax

I think they were waiting for the new Archbishop of St. Louis to be named before taking the habit...has he been named?

They were permitted to wear the postulants' habit, then Archbishop Burke got reassigned to Rome.

So, they're in a holding pattern. Sr. Rosalind is there by herself now, but is continuing to discern the charism, and get her informational materials together.

The veil in the pic is definitely different from the one featured in "Holy Hour for a New Order" or some such title. The veil in the blog entry looked more like a "babushka." In this pic, it looks like a Dominican novices'.

Blessings,
Gemma

AccountDeleted

A postulant's clothing is not a habit - it is a uniform or an outfit and Sr Rosalind was the first to point this out on EWTN when she appeared as a speaker at a televised conference. If she has changed the veil, that is her perogative, but it does not make the outfit a habit yet. Without an Archbishop there, the most she can be is under private vows, and her community is still in a holding pattern. At the moment there are no other sisters in her community, the original ones all having left -- but she did say on catholic answers radio that she is still feeling very positive about everything that is happening, despite the major setbacks.

I'm sure our prayers for her would be welcomed. :pray:

[quote name='Gemma' date='Mar 4 2009, 04:05 PM' post='1797380']
They were permitted to wear the postulants' habit, then Archbishop Burke got reassigned to Rome.

So, they're in a holding pattern. Sr. Rosalind is there by herself now, but is continuing to discern the charism, and get her informational materials together.

The veil in the pic is definitely different from the one featured in "Holy Hour for a New Order" or some such title. The veil in the blog entry looked more like a "babushka." In this pic, it looks like a Dominican novices'.

"Sr. Rosalind explained that she and the three others who were helping her to begin had ordered the black dresses from an Amish (or Mennonite? ) catalogue, and initially had some hand-made white veils. But upon visiting the Nashville Dominicans, they told her, "You look Amish! We need to make you Catholic!" And so the dear Dominican Sisters made them white veils which pass just below the shoulder, over a band that covers the hair, and gave them black belts......"
ADOROTE DEOVTE blog

puellapaschalis

[url="http://The%20link%20which%20I%20believe%20EWIE%20was%20referring%20to"]The link which I believe EWIE was referring to[/url].

AccountDeleted

[quote name='stlmom' post='1797283' date='Mar 4 2009, 11:00 AM']Can someone clarify for me the reason for the religious garb? I thought that was not yet permitted in public. :o[/quote]

Actually, you have raised an interesting point that I wouldn't mind having clarified as well. I realize that in Rosalind's case, this is basically just a uniform, but in many new communities, the sisters are wearing "habits" - even when they are only in private vows. I can't say I really understand the regulations regarding the wearing of a habit in public, since Third Orders don't usually allow this. And yet there are so many de facto and private associations where the members DO wear some sort of habit.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, so we can move the discussion - but does anyone know the rules about the wearing of a habit, either for individuals or members in private vows etc?? Just curious.

[quote name='EWIE' post='1797408' date='Mar 4 2009, 04:39 PM']"Sr. Rosalind explained that she and the three others who were helping her to begin had ordered the black dresses from an Amish (or Mennonite? ) catalogue, and initially had some hand-made white veils. But upon visiting the Nashville Dominicans, they told her, "You look Amish! We need to make you Catholic!" And so the dear Dominican Sisters made them white veils which pass just below the shoulder, over a band that covers the hair, and gave them black belts......"
ADOROTE DEOVTE blog[/quote]

Thanks. I think I missed that somewhere along the way.

Then the Sister in the background is likely a Nashville Dominican.

Blessings,
Gemma

[quote name='nunsense' post='1797470' date='Mar 4 2009, 06:03 PM']Actually, you have raised an interesting point that I wouldn't mind having clarified as well. I realize that in Rosalind's case, this is basically just a uniform, but in many new communities, the sisters are wearing "habits" - even when they are only in private vows. I can't say I really understand the regulations regarding the wearing of a habit in public, since Third Orders don't usually allow this. And yet there are so many de facto and private associations where the members DO wear some sort of habit.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, so we can move the discussion - but does anyone know the rules about the wearing of a habit, either for individuals or members in private vows etc?? Just curious.[/quote]

That's something my SD and I are trying to get together--some kind of letter to ask the bishops for more religious law canonists, and more consistency throughtout the dioceses in regards to what defacto associations can and can't do. I did see a document online a few years ago which said that emerging charisms could wear a habit, with a view of becoming a religious community (not exact words). This was supposedly pursuant to Vita Consecrata, but I'm not sure about that.

Our canonist said that since c.603 doesn't specifically state that consecrates cannot wear the habit, then a habit can be worn. Too many canonists are reading stuff into the law that isn't there.

Blessings,
Gemma

AccountDeleted

[quote name='Gemma' post='1797477' date='Mar 4 2009, 03:11 PM']That's something my SD and I are trying to get together--some kind of letter to ask the bishops for more religious law canonists, and more consistency throughtout the dioceses in regards to what defacto associations can and can't do. I did see a document online a few years ago which said that emerging charisms could wear a habit, with a view of becoming a religious community (not exact words). This was supposedly pursuant to Vita Consecrata, but I'm not sure about that.

Our canonist said that since c.603 doesn't specifically state that consecrates cannot wear the habit, then a habit can be worn. Too many canonists are reading stuff into the law that isn't there.

Blessings,
Gemma[/quote]

That's what confuses me too. I haven't found anything in canon law about the habit, and yet members of established Third Orders or laity like the OCDS are not permitted to wear a habit in public. On the other hand, many of the new and emerging communities (and also individuals in private vows) are wearing habits. I find this all very confusing. I understand wearing a type of postulant outfit, but to me, the taking of the habit implies the beginning of the canonical Novitiate year for an established community (or at least one that has been approved) - but of course I am obviously wrong since so many people are wearing habits who are not in this situation. To mention just a few of the private and de facto associations that wear habits (and this is not a criticism - just a query) - there are the Eudists of the Eleventh Hour and the Sisters of the Sacred Cross (and some of these women are married!), the Sisters of Christian Love (of which there is only one member) and of course, many hermits that have not yet taken public vows.

It just seems to me that anyone on their own could put on a habit and declare themself to be a religious, or the founder/ress of a new community that is "awaiting approval" - so I am wondering if we have any canon lawyers on here who know the real rules??

I have wondered about this for awhile now - but haven't been able to find anyone who seems to know the answer. But there must be a precedent because when Mother Teresa left her convent, she had her sari blessed as a habit, and this was even before she started the MC.

Please note that I am NOT criticising anyone here - I am just very interested in the real rules about this. Can anyone who considers themself to be "consecrated" to the Lord, or who has taken private vows to a priest or Bishop, be allowed to design and wear their own habit?? Curious - just curious.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='nunsense' post='1797484' date='Mar 5 2009, 12:21 AM']I have wondered about this for awhile now - but haven't been able to find anyone who seems to know the answer. But there must be a precedent because when Mother Teresa left her convent, she had her sari blessed as a habit, and this was even before she started the MC.[/quote]

I can't comment on the rest of your post, which was very good and interesting reading, because I don't know anything. But in relation to this paragraph, perhaps the following is of interest: when Mother Teresa left the convent, she was still a Loreto sister. She had, on the advice of her director and the Ordinary (her superiors in Ireland had left the decision to her), asked Rome for permission to live outside the convent building, rather than a dispensation from her vows themselves.

Would that have been significant in the example you cite?