An Old School Catholic Message Board

Smarts.......

txdinghysailor

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1795541' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:12 PM']Seemed like a good idea to me. But had it been someone else who had started this argument, they might've asked an entirely different question.[/quote]
free will

HisChildForever

Back to "luck" -

Am I wrong in saying that Catholics are discouraged from believing in it? Does "luck" fall under superstition?

txdinghysailor

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1795556' date='Mar 2 2009, 09:27 PM']Post #24.[/quote]

what decides what the amlga thingy remembers?

HisChildForever

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1795566' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:33 PM']what decides what the amlga thingy remembers?[/quote]

Oh my goodness.

This (from Post #24) explains the different kinds of memory and how memory is retained (remember the amygdala, among other parts of the brain, are involved in memory):

[quote]There are three ways of classifying memory. They include duration of memory retention, information type, and temporal direction. Duration of retention is seen as the most universal and useful.

From the perspective of duration of memory retention, there are three memory types: sensory memory, short term memory (STM) and long term memory (LTM). Sensory memory operates 200-500 ms immediately after a perceptual event and can hold approximately 12 items for a negligible quantity of time. Occasionally, experiences that begin as sensory memories transfer to short term memory, which can hold 5, plus or minus 2 items without rehearsal for somewhere between a minute to an hour. Short term memory is responsible for the "phonological loop" - our internal monologue reciting something to remember it.

The type of memory that is most pervasive, and with the largest capacity, is long-term memory. Long-term memories are built especially well through repetition and training and the complex web of memories that associate freely with other memories. Sometimes this web of long-term memories is called knowledge.

Within long-term memory, there are declarative (explicit) and procedural (implicit) memories. Procedural memories are motor-based and controlled by older sections of the brain. They include things like learning how to ride a bike. Declarative memory, which further breaks down into semantic and episodic/autobiographical memories, are at the core of what we consider the human experience. Semantic memories are abstract knowledge and the recital of facts, and episodic memories contain stories. The two types of declarative memory are intimately interrelated. If anything in this article was new to you, you've just added some substantial information to your semantic memory database.[/quote]

If that still does not answer your question, utilize Google.

txdinghysailor

ok. btw this whole argument was kind of a joke. I know there are smart people, and there are dumb people. But I thought one time "gosh, mayeb i'm not smart, maybe i'm just lucky", and I thought it was funny, and I wanted to see if anyone would bite on this argument...

HisChildForever

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1795574' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:38 PM']ok. btw this whole argument was kind of a joke. I know there are smart people, and there are dumb people. But I thought one time "gosh, mayeb i'm not smart, maybe i'm just lucky", and I thought it was funny, and I wanted to see if anyone would bite on this argument...[/quote]

Right, I believe this.

txdinghysailor

Yeah trust me, I'm not so unobservant that I don't realize that there are a LOT of dumb people in the world... I used to tutor physics, so I think I've actually talked to most of the dumb people lol

HisChildForever

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1795583' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:43 PM']Yeah trust me, I'm not so unobservant that I don't realize that there are a LOT of dumb people in the world... I used to tutor physics, so I think I've actually talked to most of the dumb people lol[/quote]

I would not necessarily use the word "dumb." More like severely lacking common sense (to your first use of "dumb").

Insinuating that people who do not understand physics are dumb is just plain rude.

Edited by HisChildForever

txdinghysailor

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1795585' date='Mar 2 2009, 09:45 PM']Insinuating that people who do not understand physics are dumb is just plain rude.[/quote]

No physics. I'm talking about people who couldn't understand simple algebra! Physics is tough, but if you can't do the algebra to solve for even one unknown, you're just dumb.

Edited by txdinghysailor

HisChildForever

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1795591' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:48 PM']No physics. I'm talking about people who couldn't understand simple algebra! Physics is tough, but if you can't do the algebra to solve for even one unknown, you're just dumb.[/quote]

You should have clarified. Still rude though. Many people with mental disabilities cannot do math.

txdinghysailor

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1795593' date='Mar 2 2009, 09:49 PM']You should have clarified. Still rude though. Many people with mental disabilities cannot do math.[/quote]

People with mental disabilities shouldn't be trying to take college level physics!

HisChildForever

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1795603' date='Mar 2 2009, 08:58 PM']People with mental disabilities shouldn't be trying to take college level physics![/quote]

You said that anyone who cannot understand basic algebra is dumb. Basic algebra is basic algebra, whether or not it is part of a physics course.

There are different kinds of intelligence. Academics is not the only kind. I think the best definition of intelligence would be using your strengths to the best of your ability.

[quote name='txdinghysailor' post='1795591' date='Mar 2 2009, 09:48 PM']No physics. I'm talking about people who couldn't understand simple algebra! Physics is tough, but if you can't do the algebra to solve for even one unknown, you're just dumb.[/quote]

I always found Algebra easy, when you know the tricks :unsure:

[img]http://literacyadviser.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/find-x.jpg[/img]