An Old School Catholic Message Board

Latin Mass

elizabeth09

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1794756' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:29 PM']I love their translation of the Canon.[/quote]
It is a more accurate English translation than the one done by ICEL in the 1970s.

tinytherese

I attended 1962 style masses at the Benedictine Sisters of Mary Queen of Apostles for when I was discerning with them. They are one of the rare traditional religious communities that are in union with Rome. Those masses were beautiful, besides they have translations for you to follow along with.

Pictures of [url="http://www.atonementonline.com/tour.php"][u]Our Lady of the Atonement Church[/u][/url]

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1794763' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:32 PM']It is a more accurate English translation than the one done by ICEL in the 1970s.[/quote]

Yes, very much more so. Though for some reason they decided to use the ICEL's translation of the Words of Consecration. Also, I don't see what place the Memorial Acclamation has in the Anglican Use liturgy... or the Offertory prayers invented in 1969...

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1794771' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:36 PM']Yes, very much more so. Though for some reason they decided to use the ICEL's translation of the Words of Consecration. Also, I don't see what place the Memorial Acclamation has in the Anglican Use liturgy... or the Offertory prayers invented in 1969...[/quote]
That is because those are the words that the Vatican approved for use in the Roman Rite in the United States.

That said, I wonder whether the Anglican Use parishes in the United States will alter the words of institution when the rest of the Roman Rite in America does in a couple of years.

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1794771' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:36 PM']Also, I don't see what place the Memorial Acclamation has in the Anglican Use liturgy... or the Offertory prayers invented in 1969...[/quote]
It does seem to be a bit of a hodgepodge when it comes to some things.

Just wondering... are there special seminaries for priests wanting to celebrate the Anglican use mass?

Where did you find that Church Apo? I'm in San Antonio often and would love to stop by it.

[quote name='rkwright' post='1794793' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:53 PM']Where did you find that Church Apo? I'm in San Antonio often and would love to stop by it.[/quote]
I did a Google search for Pastoral Provision parishes, which gave me the site linked below:

[url="http://www.pastoralprovision.org/"][u]Pastoral Provision[/u][/url]

One of my friends has a bumper sticker saying
"Why go ordinary when you can go [i]extraordinary[/i]?"

That being said, I prefer the Novus Ordo mass, but there are things that I think are lacking in it. The 1962 missal is beautiful and I think the Novus Ordo would have a lot to gain by adapting things that used to be done. I went to an extraordinary form today for mass though.

TeresaBenedicta

Hmm. I have different experiences of worship in both forms. In the extraordinary form, I very much feel 'lifted up' in worship. It requires a higher level of concentration, I think. Because the ordinary form is so familiar to me, it requires a different type of concentration. I'm not sure how to explain the difference... I think with the ordinary form, I'm able to unite myself to the individual prayers much easier, but with the extraordinary form, obviously it's difficult to unite myself with the individual prayers, but it's much easier to see the entire Mass as a prayer.

As to which I prefer? I like both. I also like the N.O. in Latin. I have the hardest time concentrating during irreverent Masses.

puellapaschalis

[quote name='TeresaBenedicta' post='1794844' date='Mar 2 2009, 06:51 AM']Hmm. I have different experiences of worship in both forms. In the extraordinary form, I very much feel 'lifted up' in worship. It requires a higher level of concentration, I think. Because the ordinary form is so familiar to me, it requires a different type of concentration. I'm not sure how to explain the difference... I think with the ordinary form, I'm able to unite myself to the individual prayers much easier, but with the extraordinary form, obviously it's difficult to unite myself with the individual prayers, but it's much easier to see the entire Mass as a prayer.

As to which I prefer? I like both. I also like the N.O. in Latin. I have the hardest time concentrating during irreverent Masses.[/quote]

That's so interesting to hear! I grew up with the NO and now find it much more "demanding" "intellectually" than the usus antiquor - which I've only really been familiar with for about a year or so. At the UA I can just "let go" and pray - although seeing as the structure of the NO is relatively similar, my years of exclusive NO attendance may be helping with that.

[quote name='RemnantRules' post='1794593' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:04 PM']Jesus didn't have the Last Supper extraordinary style.[/quote]

We tend to forget the reason why Jesus celebrated in a house was because the Jews rejected Him. Had they accepted Him as Messiah He probably would have celebrated in the Temple, on the golden altar His Father prescribed to be built. I imagine His celebration would have been much closer to a Solemn Papal Mass, than some of these Novus Ordo Churches that try to mimic the historical last supper.

But God knows best.

Edited by mortify

Personally I would not remain in a parish that did not offer the reverence our Lord deserves, unless it was the only parish available. For me to stay would only encourage irreverence. For this reason I attend the traditionally minded Novus Ordo parishes and Tridentine Masses.

To say "The Eucharist is present" and ignore the problems just doesn't cut it.

Edited by mortify

Church Punk

I perfer the extraordinary mass to most ordinary. Although if the ordinary is done well, with chant and held sacred, it can be just as good.