An Old School Catholic Message Board

Latin Mass

elizabeth09

elizabeth09

Some people say that the Latin mass is boring. What do you say about the Latin mass? Which one do you like? English or Latin?

I go to the extraordinary form (1962 Missal) every week and love it. I also like the ordinary form (2002 Missal) in Latin. :)

HisChildForever

I have never been to Mass in Latin - extraordinary or ordinary. I guess some people have their preferences, but the Eucharist is the Eucharist.

I attended a Latin Mass for five years. I didnt find it boring at all. What I hope someday might happen is that the the basic form and rubrics (perhaps with some additions and modifications) of the Latin Mass would be said in English.

RemnantRules

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1794583' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:54 PM']I have never been to Mass in Latin - extraordinary or ordinary. I guess some people have their preferences, but the Eucharist is the Eucharist.[/quote]

I agree. I completely understand the importance of Latin Mass, but those that believe it is the end all be all are misguided. Jesus didn't have the Last Supper extraordinary style. As you said Truth is truth, and Jesus is truly present in the Most Blessed Sacrament whether it is spoken in Latin or English. I have been to both Latin (High and Low) and some other "masses" :wacko: (that I had to go again just to make sure I felt comfortable fulfilling Sunday Mass).

HisChildForever

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1794603' date='Mar 1 2009, 09:11 PM']What was wrong with the "Masses"?[/quote]

I think he was insinuating that some Masses he has been to were questionable (i.e. liturgical abuse).

Nihil Obstat

[quote name='kafka' post='1794589' date='Mar 1 2009, 08:00 PM']I attended a Latin Mass for five years. I didnt find it boring at all. What I hope someday might happen is that the the basic form and rubrics (perhaps with some additions and modifications) of the Latin Mass would be said in English.[/quote]
Isn't that more or less Anglican Use?

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1794662' date='Mar 1 2009, 10:50 PM']Isn't that more or less Anglican Use?[/quote]
No, Anglican use is a form of the English Common prayer book.

Not exactly. It's a [i]very [/i]Catholicized version of the Book of Common Prayer. So much so that it hardly resembles the original.

Edited by Resurrexi

Below is a link to some liturgical texts from [i]The Book of Divine Worship[/i], which is used within the Pastoral Provision Anglican Use parishes in the United States:

[url="http://www.walsingham-church.org/mass.htm"][u]The Book of Divine Worship[/u][/url]

Another link:

[url="http://www.atonementonline.com/orderofmass/Rite1.html"][u][i]The Order of Mass[/i] according to [i]The Book of Divine Worship[/i] (Rite 1)[/u][/url]