An Old School Catholic Message Board

Avoid Morality When Discussing Sex

cmotherofpirl

cmotherofpirl

[url="http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article5780725.ece"]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/poli...icle5780725.ece[/url]

There is [i]some[/i] truth to what they are saying. If you sit a teen down and say "don't do this," they'll probably go out and do exactly that, just because. So, how you discuss sexual morality matters.

Saying that you should let them figure out right and wrong for themselves is pretty much hogwash, though.

It's true that many kids will do just the oppsite of what they're told is 'wrong'. It would be silly to leave morality disconnected from sexuality though. Tat's where this whole crisis comes from; the disconnect.
We need to radically reconnect the two, then prove that we have the authority to say something is wrong. That's what people my age need to be convinced on; that there is a right and a wrong, and they are objective truths.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1791650' date='Feb 26 2009, 02:53 AM']It's true that many kids will do just the oppsite of what they're told is 'wrong'. It would be silly to leave morality disconnected from sexuality though. Tat's where this whole crisis comes from; the disconnect.
We need to radically reconnect the two, then prove that we have the authority to say something is wrong. That's what people my age need to be convinced on; that there is a right and a wrong, and they are objective truths.[/quote]
:yes:

There is no human action separate from morality--either something is licit or illicit.

We live in a pragmatic age. An action is now judged not on its own meritsm, but on its outcome. If a morally good method of instruction fails, it is evaluated as improper for use. Our love affair with statistics shows this. So when young people copulate in spite of their promises and abstinence programs, we say these programs are failures. This ignores the failure of contraception. People screw up--Christianity knows this, but modern liberal thought regards humans as perfectible. We as Catholics will never be able to explain this to them--they believe (consciously or no) that there is some magic formula to remove what we call sin. There is. It is called death. When they realize this (consciously or no) they become like Stalinists, Leninists and Maoists--they kill those they regard as sinners. To a liberal, the only sin is opposing the state.

How's that for a flight of ideas?

You could see this as a perversion of our understanding of scandal.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1791650' date='Feb 25 2009, 09:53 PM']That's what people my age need to be convinced on; that there is a right and a wrong, and they are objective truths.[/quote]

:yes:

Establishing that there are objective truths is very important!

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1791599' date='Feb 25 2009, 08:46 PM']What is there to smile about in this story?[/quote]

We are rolling the eyes cmom, rolling the eyes. If there was a puck smiley I would have used that first. ;)

[quote name='Winchester' post='1792429' date='Feb 27 2009, 12:05 PM']There is no human action separate from morality--either something is licit or illicit.

We live in a pragmatic age. An action is now judged not on its own meritsm, but on its outcome. If a morally good method of instruction fails, it is evaluated as improper for use. Our love affair with statistics shows this. So when young people copulate in spite of their promises and abstinence programs, we say these programs are failures. This ignores the failure of contraception. People screw up--Christianity knows this, but modern liberal thought regards humans as perfectible. We as Catholics will never be able to explain this to them--they believe (consciously or no) that there is some magic formula to remove what we call sin. There is. It is called death. When they realize this (consciously or no) they become like Stalinists, Leninists and Maoists--they kill those they regard as sinners. To a liberal, the only sin is opposing the state.

How's that for a flight of ideas?

You could see this as a perversion of our understanding of scandal.[/quote]
I totally get this.