An Old School Catholic Message Board

Should D. C. Be Granted A Seat In The House?

Lil Red

+J.M.J.+
there is talk about this again. so do you say yes or no? i don't know enough about either side of the issue, just wondering.

if you say no then dc citizen should not have to pay taxes. right now, what is happening to them is taxation without representation. they should not have to pay taxes if they do not have a voice in the house, simple as that. so either they should get to stop paying taxes or dc should get a seat in the house.

So if this is the United [i]States[/i] of America, then DC isn't even part of the US! [img]http://www.majhost.com/gallery/Patuara/startrekstuff/8u.gif[/img]

homeschoolmom

Well, I think that you could be something other than a state and still be part of the US, of course. All of the territories were part of the US before they gained statehood.

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1789459' date='Feb 23 2009, 01:52 PM']No.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
for everyone (except hsmom cuz she did), if you said no, why?

[quote name='homeschoolmom' post='1789585' date='Feb 23 2009, 04:19 PM']DC is not a state. Only states have senators and members of congress. No, DC should not become a state.[/quote]
+J.M.J.+
but there are people living in D.C., shouldn't they have representation? :idontknow:

like i said, i don't know the history behind why they shouldn't have a seat in the house and all that, i'm just trying to figure it out.

homeschoolmom

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1789689' date='Feb 23 2009, 07:59 PM']+J.M.J.+
but there are people living in D.C., shouldn't they have representation? :idontknow:[/quote]

They do:

[quote]Eleanor Holmes Norton (born June 13, 1937) is a Delegate to Congress representing the District of Columbia. In her position she is able to serve on and vote with committees, as well as speak from the House floor. However, she is not permitted to vote on final passage of any legislation because she is not a member of Congress.[/quote]

[quote name='havok579257' post='1789583' date='Feb 23 2009, 04:10 PM']if you say no then dc citizen should not have to pay taxes. right now, what is happening to them is taxation without representation. they should not have to pay taxes if they do not have a voice in the house, simple as that. so either they should get to stop paying taxes or dc should get a seat in the house.[/quote]

Have you ever either read the Constitution or taken a simple logic course?

I think that people who pay taxes should have representation. I get to vote for representatives in Florida eventhough I am in Canada. I see no reason why those who live in DC can't register to vote in either Virginia or Maryland, depending on what side of town they live on. They can drive over to vote, or vote by absentee like I do.