An Old School Catholic Message Board

Whos Job Is It To Prepare For Disaster...

cmotherofpirl

eagle_eye222001

Obama will save me.

----------------
Listening to: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/three+days+grace/track/never+too+late"]Three Days Grace - Never Too Late[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[center] :lol_roll: :rolling: :lol_pound: [/center]

Edited by eagle_eye222001

I'm well prepared for a hurricane, which I understand doesn't happen much in Northern Inland Canada. We are also well prepared for an prolonged electric interruption. Several months worth of food, alternative way to cook them, emergency candles, etc. My first aid kit even includes a cpr mask. I had a bad experience in the past with that.

I am embarrassed to admit that I carry a Swiss Army knife (Champion) with me everywhere I go except the airport, and a small roll of duct tape, emergency mirror and whistle, emergency fire starter, and a hand crank cell phone charger that has an integrated LED light. If I fall in a frozen culvert of something, I have every intention to survive. I also carry dental floss in case I need to dispatch someone quickly, and don't want to dirty my knife. I also carry a titanium spork and a set of take down titanium chop sticks, just to fill out my "nutty old lady" list.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1788511' date='Feb 22 2009, 06:14 PM']I'm well prepared for a hurricane, which I understand doesn't happen much in Northern Inland Canada. We are also well prepared for an prolonged electric interruption. Several months worth of food, alternative way to cook them, emergency candles, etc. My first aid kit even includes a cpr mask. I had a bad experience in the past with that.

I am embarrassed to admit that I carry a Swiss Army knife (Champion) with me everywhere I go except the airport, and a small roll of duct tape, emergency mirror and whistle, emergency fire starter, and a hand crank cell phone charger that has an integrated LED light. If I fall in a frozen culvert of something, I have every intention to survive. I also carry dental floss in case I need to dispatch someone quickly, and don't want to dirty my knife. I also carry a titanium spork and a set of take down titanium chop sticks, just to fill out my "nutty old lady" list.[/quote]
:bow: :notworthy2:

eagle_eye222001

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1788511' date='Feb 22 2009, 05:14 PM']I'm well prepared for a hurricane, which I understand doesn't happen much in Northern Inland Canada. We are also well prepared for an prolonged electric interruption. Several months worth of food, alternative way to cook them, emergency candles, etc. My first aid kit even includes a cpr mask. I had a bad experience in the past with that.

I am embarrassed to admit that I carry a Swiss Army knife (Champion) with me everywhere I go except the airport, and a small roll of duct tape, emergency mirror and whistle, emergency fire starter, and a hand crank cell phone charger that has an integrated LED light. If I fall in a frozen culvert of something, I have every intention to survive. I also carry dental floss in case I need to dispatch someone quickly, and don't want to dirty my knife. I also carry a titanium spork and a set of take down titanium chop sticks, just to fill out my "nutty old lady" list.[/quote]

More prepared than some Boy Scouts I knew. :wacko:

----------------
Listening to: [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/artist/3+doors+down/track/sarah+yellin"]3 Doors Down - Sarah Yellin'[/url]
via [url="http://www.foxytunes.com/signatunes/"]FoxyTunes[/url]

[quote name='CatherineM' post='1788511' date='Feb 22 2009, 05:14 PM']I am embarrassed to admit that I carry a Swiss Army knife (Champion) with me everywhere I go except the airport, and a small roll of duct tape, emergency mirror and whistle, emergency fire starter, and a hand crank cell phone charger that has an integrated LED light. If I fall in a frozen culvert of something, I have every intention to survive. I also carry dental floss in case I need to dispatch someone quickly, and don't want to dirty my knife. I also carry a titanium spork and a set of take down titanium chop sticks, just to fill out my "nutty old lady" list.[/quote]
Sounds about like my purse.

Though [i]I[/i] included floss in case I got something annoying stuck in my teeth... but to each their own. :unsure:

(No compass? Those mylar emergency blankets are good too.)

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1788564' date='Feb 22 2009, 05:47 PM']How big is your purse???[/quote]
:lol:

Actually, most of that stuff isn't very big.

It's the all electronics that get cumbersome... :mellow:

I was traumatized as a teen by getting stranded at a fairly distant suburban mall with a broken car. Holiday weekend, no shops open. Then there was a giant storm. Everything flooded. All the power and phones went out (pre cell phone). For DAYS. Eventually walked out of the range of the devastation and got a ride home from a kindly hair dresser.

I carry a backpack. I carry all this in a zipper bag about 6" long and 3.5" in diameter. That way when I need to carry a purse (very rarely), I can just grab it and throw it in a purse. Purses aren't too practical for me since I use a crutch with my left hand, and I can't carry anything in my right hand because even carrying a small sack of groceries in it can pop my shoulder out of place. I've tried shoulder strap purses, but I've got a neck and shoulders like a middle linebacker. I'm practically a Cardassian, so no strap will stay up. A sling bag is the only kind I can use, and they don't make many of those for dress occasions, so when I get drug to those, I use a small evening bag, and make him who drug me carry it. I told him that the last silver tie I picked out for him was so that he'd have one to match my purse. He was not amused.

Well I am pretty set for "in case something happens" I have my rock climbing box that comes with me to allow me to live comfortably in the mountains for about a week or so (more food needs to be added though).

It contains the following items right now:

2 - 60m climbing ropes
1 - full rack of rock climbing gear
2 - Headlamps
1 - Jet boil butane stove - good for cooking up to 1.5L of water, soup etc. great for on the go cooking with 3 containers of fuel
1 - MSR white gas stove - for more camp cooking - with fuel
1 - Full set of compact pots & pans, with cutlery - 2 kasporks
2 - Compactable wine glass (most necessary)
1 - Therma-rest sleeping pad - with chair adapter
1 - Synthetic sleeping bag good to -20° with fleece insert
1 - Eureka 2 man tent
1 - Camel bak hydration unit
2 - Extra toques
2 - Sets of gloves
1 - light jacket
1 - packpack
1 - Spidero & a swiss army knife
1 - first aid kit - needs to be restoked cause ive had a couple accidents and assisted in a climbing rescue of a woman who feel 65ft nearly to her death (she is ok though Deo Gratias)
-there is more but Id have to look.

I have a couple cans of sounds, beans, and tuna in there should last a little while but i would need more.

So ya basically I have that all in 2 compact Rubbermaid bins, if anything every happens a I need to leave home, its just a simple trip to the basement, turn off the power, gas, and water and grab the bins on the way out.

Other things I need to add are

signal glow sticks
more first aid gear
powder dried food
water decontaminate (iodine & a choline puck).

Clearly this stuff is all preparing for a zombie outbreak, yes?

I've got a tank hidden in a secret bunker underneath the garage. :mellow:

[quote name='Resurrexi' post='1790135' date='Feb 24 2009, 01:01 AM']Someone who knows the difference between a contraction of the words "who is" and the form of the word "who" in the possessive case.[/quote]

That bothered you that much?

:P