An Old School Catholic Message Board

Are Catholics Going Nuts?

Lil Red

The Pope has never given pelosi communion. She recieved it while he was here in April but he wasn't the minister. He has expressed what Canon Law makes clear.

[quote name='thessalonian' post='1789544' date='Feb 23 2009, 06:03 PM']The Pope has never given pelosi communion. She recieved it while he was here in April but he wasn't the minister. He has expressed what Canon Law makes clear.[/quote]

The Pope has on multiple occasions given politicians of Pelosi's stripe communion. (the mayor of Rome for instance). John Paul II did it, too, repeatedly.

Edited by Maggie

[quote name='Maggie' post='1789040' date='Feb 23 2009, 12:38 AM']I am very aware of Archbishop Burke's opinion on the matter and he is entitled to it... I agree with him in many respects. The fact remains that his opinion was binding only in St. Louis when he was ordinary there and while he certainly occupies high office now and hopefully will get a red hat, he still does not really have any authority over bishops' pastoral choices in their own dioceses in this matter. His words do not make universal law. His interpretation of canon law is learned but it is one interpretation among many, it seems.

Archbishop Burke is not "exactly small fry," true, but neither is the pope. What I meant to imply was that I am certain Archbishop Burke does not mean to scold the Holy Father for his application of canon law. I'm pretty sure the archbishop does not have a problem with the Pope. It amazes me how people will seize on the ideas of one single man like the archbishop for ammunition in this debate, even to the point of misunderstanding the role of the Apostolic Signatura! Deciding who gets Communion is not part of their job, either! The Apostolic Signatura is a court of appeals. The handle administrative questions, appeals from the Rota, conflicts of jurisdiction etc. Absolutely nothing to do with and no authority over the Communion issue.[/quote]
I was not saying that Archbishop Burke's statements on this matter were binding or universal Church law, simply pointing out that he is a clergyman of very high standing in the Church, and, having been entrusted with the position of head of the Apostolic Signatura, is surely very competent in matters of canon law and such.
The fact he clearly agrees with the signers of the pettion regarding giving Communion to unrepentantly pro-abortion politicians shows that such a position cannot be simply dismissed as merely the ill-informed or ignorant opinion of incompetent laymen.

And even a quick reading of his statements stated in that article show that he in fact does have a problem with other bishops individually deciding to not follow the CDF's instructions regarding denying Communion to pro-abort pols, showing your earlier statement that "I am positive that Archbishop Burke has no problem with them doing that" is not based in the facts.

[quote]We can all read what Archbishop Burke says but we can all see what the Holy Father does, and the two do not match up.[/quote]
Wrong.
First of all, what the Pope personally [i]does[/i] is actually not directly relevant to this debate. The Pope's actions are not impeccable.
It's what the Pope teaches that's important.
And the policies he himself clearly laid down as Prefect of the CDF, which you yourself (as well as Archbishop Burke) admitted were clear and unambiguous, are what is important here.
The Pope has [i]nowhere[/i] declared that these rules no longer apply, or are mere optional guidelines to be disregarded if one sees fit.

You will also note that the duties concerning Communion and publicly pro-abortion politicians
are given to the pastor of the politician in question, and are two-fold: 1) first personally counsel the politician regarding his position, and warning him that he may bot receive Communion 2) if after counsel he persists, to deny him communion.
There's probably no way for the Pope to know with certainty if the first step has been performed with every politician coming to a papal mass.
And I think we can rest assured he will [i]not [/i]be giving Pelosi Communion after their one-on-one meeting (unless she publicly repents of her "pro-choice" stance).

In any case, the Pope has said absolutely nothing to the effect that the rules concerning pro-abortion politicians receiving communion are optional, nor has he said anything contradicting Archbishop's Burke's statements.

And until he does, you really have no solid basis for claiming the Pope disagrees with Burke, etc., or that those who take this position are at odds with the Pope.
Presenting this as a matter of "the Pope vs. a horde of know-it-all conservative laymen" or "the Pope vs. Archbishop's Burke" is simply false and unfounded.

[quote]The petition doesn't mean that Catholics are "going nuts" so to speak - but it is a huge waste of time and therefore easy to dismiss. It will not accomplish anything besides using up some space on the Internet. Not to mention, things like this are symptomatic of big problems with authority roiling just beneath the surface on both the right wing and the left wing, both of which see themselves as representing "pure" Catholicism against the compromising, weak-willed powers that be. Both liberal and conservative laymen think they own the Church and should get to call the shots! Hence the ™. When in fact She belongs to Jesus, not to them. And Jesus gave us bishops. Increasingly the laity see themselves as the arbiters of discipline, doctrine, etc. where once this was recognized as the competence of the authorities Jesus chose. Not a good trend.[/quote]
If signing the petition is such a "huge waste of time," think of how much more time you have wasted attacking those who sign it.

And your statements on this essentially make Canon 212 S3 out to be null and void.
The idea that all decisions of bishops are somehow above any and all comment and criticism form the laity is baloney. Bishops can and do make bad decisions - and when they lead to grave public scandal, they can be disastrous for the Church. Witness the horrific scandal caused by the decision of certain bishops to cover up and shuffle around pederast priests. The idea that the actions of bishops are always above and beyond any criticism or lay knowledge is not always for the best.
The scandal caused by the blasphemy of politicians cynically using the Holy Sacrament as a photo-op to win the "Catholic vote" is another serious scandal which the bishops should act correctly on.

And this constant babbling about "conservative," "liberal," "right-wing," "left-wing" is pointless. This is not about partisan politics, but about putting an end to a scandal which causes damage to the whole Church. For the record, I think this policy should apply just as much to "pro-choice Catholic" Republican pols (even if otherwise "conservative") as to Dems.

But really, I think I've said all that needs to be said; unless some new point is brought up, this debate seems to be going in circles.

Edited by Socrates