An Old School Catholic Message Board

Do You Think Its Fair That The Boston Archdioces..

fides quarens intellectum

Is it fair that the Boston Archdiocese should pay 55 million dollars?  

42 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

fides quarens intellectum

so curious as to who keeps bumping six and seven-year-old threads.

seems to happen alot...

I don't understand why they bump it, then erase all trace of said 'bumpage'.

Norseman82

[quote name='MIkolbe' date='02 June 2010 - 04:53 PM' timestamp='1275512001' post='2122839']
seems to happen alot...

I don't understand why they bump it, then erase all trace of said 'bumpage'.
[/quote]

Probably just that someone voted in the poll - that bumps the thread without any posts.

<commence rant>

I read a book by the guy who started Voice of the Faithful in the Boston Archdiocese when the scandal broke out. It was honestly a piece of garbage, but reading his description of how people who were genuinely concerned over what the Archbishop was doing (and not doing) were treated by him and the diocese, I don't see why it would be a bad thing. The reason everyone there is going through this in one way or another is because of him. He messed up. Sometimes when other people mess up, people who are completely innocent have to pay. It's just how the world works. Whatever is decided, I'm not going to complain. I'm sick of hearing about the matter altogether. I know people get all these little ants in their pants when someone criticizes the Church over ANYTHING, but she needs to get it together. Parts of her body messed up and she just needs to come clean and fly right from now on. :l

For those who think the matter is complicated, just think of the inquisitions and the crusades. They weren't very complicated if you really think about them. Yes, terrible things were done, but honestly, what would happen if they hadn't been? I think the Church does a great job of cracking down on everyone but itself. If they can pull off things like keeping Europe from falling off the face of the planet, then they can surely keep priests from abusing kids IF THEY TRY.

</end rant>

• 3 weeks later...
sistersintigo

[quote name='iheartjp2' date='06 June 2010 - 03:45 PM' timestamp='1275849942' post='2124661']
I read a book by the guy who started Voice of the Faithful in the Boston Archdiocese when the scandal broke out. It was honestly a piece of garbage, but reading his description of how people who were genuinely concerned over what the Archbishop was doing (and not doing) were treated by him and the diocese, I don't see why it would be a bad thing. The reason everyone there is going through this in one way or another is because of him. He messed up. Sometimes when other people mess up, people who are completely innocent have to pay. It's just how the world works. Whatever is decided, I'm not going to complain. I'm sick of hearing about the matter altogether. I know people get all these little ants in their pants when someone criticizes the Church over ANYTHING, but she needs to get it together. Parts of her body messed up and she just needs to come clean and fly right from now on.
[/quote]

Yes, I have not read this book, but I understand how it could be garbage....with a little food for thought mixed in. Just one other thing:
it isn't just one archbishop, or cardinal; the Archdiocese of Boston took a long long time, through many terms of cardinals/bishops, to get the way it got when the top blew off. This is no mere opinion. I can't link to this myself, however one could look at the documentation of THAT court trial. Not only was it argued about what the then-bishop had done, but also how the then-bishop had perjured himself by COVERING UP WHAT PREVIOUS BISHOPS HAD DONE BEFORE HIM.
The more one studies the documentation about all the Boston archbishops -- especially all those who were made cardinals, until the present one -- the more persuasive the case for a long-term, entrenched culture which was reinforced, not by one archbishop, but by a whole series of them:
O'Connor, Cushing, Medeiros, as well as Law....
I do agree, straightening up is a requirement, not an option.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='sistersintigo' date='22 June 2010 - 05:18 PM' timestamp='1277237884' post='2132902']
Yes, I have not read this book, but I understand how it could be garbage....with a little food for thought mixed in. Just one other thing:
it isn't just one archbishop, or cardinal; the Archdiocese of Boston took a long long time, through many terms of cardinals/bishops, to get the way it got when the top blew off. This is no mere opinion. I can't link to this myself, however one could look at the documentation of THAT court trial. Not only was it argued about what the then-bishop had done, but also how the then-bishop had perjured himself by COVERING UP WHAT PREVIOUS BISHOPS HAD DONE BEFORE HIM.
The more one studies the documentation about all the Boston archbishops -- especially all those who were made cardinals, until the present one -- the more persuasive the case for a long-term, entrenched culture which was reinforced, not by one archbishop, but by a whole series of them:
O'Connor, Cushing, Medeiros, as well as Law....
I do agree, straightening up is a requirement, not an option.
[/quote]
Exactly! The is no denying that sexual predators within the Church has been an endemic problem for quite some time. Horrifically, the problem has also been known and ignored (or worse) by the Church. The Catholic Church, while seemingly a good idea in theory, has always been unable to effectively deal with a culture of selfishness, power mongering, and oppression. Way too many people have naively accepted the bad for the perceived good or just outright live in denial of the evil reality of a human run organization which has allowed it to continue, grow, and fester for millenium. A perfect set-up for many who simply seek power.

It's obvious that an endemic culture of ethics in the Church clergy does not exist when such evil has been protected and effected (and fostered) by lay, brothers, nuns, monks, priests, pastors, bishops, archbishops, cardinals, and popes. It's ironic and sad the Pope instructs the 'faithful' to repent and sacrifice for the evil done by others.

What, the Civil Justice System was going to appeal to the moral authority of the Church and expect ethical reform? LOL! The only effective option is to sue for money and appeal to the base human motives of selfishness and greed. It's an viable business decision to punish a rogue institution.

Winchester

Holy Cr[i][/i]ap! You mean that the hierarchy reacted in the exact same way as the bulk of humanity and [i]hid[/i] sexual abuse? Stop the presses!

Yeah, the justice system that still can't deal properly with sexual predators and only recently has attempted after short stints in prison, to monitor the presence of predators (which doesn't work). And of course "everyone knew" it was going on, but apparently, parents and others outside the church didn't care enough to take action. Now, 30 years later, armed with words, it only makes sense that a big payout is in order.

Just be sure to focus on the church, not on the wimpy assed reaction of society in general toward predators.

None of this is about protecting anyone: it's about making money or attacking the Church.

Winchester

[quote name='iheartjp2' date='06 June 2010 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1275849942' post='2124661']
they can surely keep priests from abusing kids IF THEY TRY.
[/quote]
If by 'stop' you mean react to them after they are discovered, then yes, they can. They can turn them over to the law, who will shuffle them about, imprison them (maybe) and then release them to offend again. Let's all pretend that if the Church had turned over the offenders, the "justics system" would have protected children. Don't give yourselves aneurysms straining to imagine that scenario.

If by 'stop' you mean prevent it, then you're wrong. The best you can do is attempt to weed out potential predators. But they are smart, these predators, and they join the priesthood for the same reason hunters camouflage themselves. This is why they become teachers, ice cream men, husbands... the only way to stop a sexual predator is to kill him when he is discovered. Give them an opportunity to confess and then execute them. No imprisonment, no "registration."

Edited by Winchester

[quote name='iheartjp2' date='06 June 2010 - 02:45 PM' timestamp='1275849942' post='2124661']
For those who think the matter is complicated, just think of the inquisitions and the crusades. They weren't very complicated if you really think about them. Yes, terrible things were done, but honestly, what would happen if they hadn't been? I think the Church does a great job of cracking down on everyone but itself.
[/quote]
Yeah, we all know how the Church conducts inquisitions and crusades all the time these days.

It's the same weak mush-minded liberalism and "tolerance" krept into the modern Church that has left many churchmen unable to stand up strongly against evils in the world that has allowed seminaries to become safe-havens for perverts, and pederasts to be quietly shuffled around.

MichaelFilo

They should tear down the dioceses financially. The State has the right to punish those in civil and criminal court and is one of it's few proper functions. The diocese have all shown an attempt to hide it and are responsible for it financially if it is being facilitated by the head of the diocese.

55 million isn't meant to make spiritual restitution, since law courts cannot offer compensation for the spiritual. It is for the debilitating effects of abuse, the years of depression, the fear, and worst of all, the sexual perversion that is put into these kids (alot of abuse is done by those who have been once abused.) 55 million, even if every dime went to the victims, would not be enough.

And how many parishioners covered up the scandals? My manager was telling me about his old church and the scandals.. I asked if he ever reported, he said no, the Catholic Church is full of perverts anyway. What do you make of that? There can be very little sympathy for those who prey on the weak, and those that will not stand up to them ought to be held responsible as well. Someone always knows.

Winchester

It's sure worth it to destroy a diocese and all the good that it does to seek revenge on abuse. Great idea.

[quote name='Winchester' date='08 July 2010 - 03:03 PM' timestamp='1278612205' post='2139365']
It's sure worth it to destroy a diocese and all the good that it does to seek revenge on abuse. Great idea.
[/quote]It's your kind of logic that has been used to justify all the cover-ups, hush money, and predator shuffling. It's better to have a few lives destroyed instead of admitting the problem that will harm the priest/parish/bishop/diocese/church when it does so much other good. The civil courts should not have been forced to be the party to cause change. If the Church clergy were truly doing their job, these priests would have been de-frocked at the get go.
The reality is, the predeators were shieled from punishment in order to protect the Church. Obviously it wasn't a good plan.
Do you really think it's unreasonable to expect (or even hope) the Catholic Church, the 'Bride of Christ', should put forth a bit more effort in correcting a sexual predator problem then the local school board?

sistersintigo

[quote name='Winchester' date='07 July 2010 - 11:07 AM' timestamp='1278511661' post='2138888']
Holy Cr[i][/i]ap! You mean that the hierarchy reacted in the exact same way as the bulk of humanity and [i]hid[/i] sexual abuse? Stop the presses!

Yeah, the justice system that still can't deal properly with sexual predators and only recently has attempted after short stints in prison, to monitor the presence of predators (which doesn't work). And of course "everyone knew" it was going on, but apparently, parents and others outside the church didn't care enough to take action. Now, 30 years later, armed with words, it only makes sense that a big payout is in order.

Just be sure to focus on the church, not on the wimpy assed reaction of society in general toward predators.

None of this is about protecting anyone: it's about making money or attacking the Church.
[/quote]
I remember the refectory at suppertime, in a priory where religious sisters across the spectrum of orders were doing one of those "renewal Programs" -- all older women, still active, who went someplace for several months and lived together retreat style. Ah, you ought to have heard those holy women at table, when Cardinal Law resigned as archbishop. "Power" with a capital P, that was the subject. Good thing he wasn't within a mile of the women, they would have gone after him with the silverware....and probably thrown crockery as well.

Winchester

[quote name='Anomaly' date='08 July 2010 - 05:09 PM' timestamp='1278623367' post='2139450']
The reality is, the predeators were shieled from punishment in order to protect the Church.[/quote]
Sometimes to protect priests whose own secrets were known to the predators. Your point?

[quote]
Do you really think it's unreasonable to expect (or even hope) the Catholic Church, the 'Bride of Christ', should put forth a bit more effort in correcting a sexual predator problem then the local school board?
[/quote]
I never said it was. But turning them over to the law (especially at the time these abuses were occuring--does very little more. Ask the kid John Couey killed. Oh, you can't because the government isn't any better at dealing with them. Remember, I'm the guy who says execute them.

Are we still pretending this isn't common human behavior?