An Old School Catholic Message Board

Owner Of Muslim Relations Tv Network Beheads Wife

Lil Red

[quote name='Hassan' post='1788291' date='Feb 22 2009, 02:42 PM']Like I said (Tinkerline), if you would like real information let me know. I have my own problems with Islam but it hardly get's a fair shake here (for the most part).[/quote]

Thanks, Hassan. Yeah, if you have any titles to recommend or anything, let me know. I'm never going to excuse the Koran's allowance of this kind of thing but I do try to give all cultures/religions/belief systems an objective look. Btw, if anyone's interested, the story of the beheading was covered in my local paper. There were other articles about various Muslim community groups having sessions on domestic violence issues and such, so I'm glad that many in the community reject violence against their wives. Here's the article : [url="http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/586519.html"]A History of Abuse Preceeded Orchard Park Beheading[/url] -Katie

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1788150' date='Feb 22 2009, 11:49 AM']Regardless of the theological definitions, my original point was that you easily chalked up Koranic mandates to "crazies" rather than looking deeper at the issue and seeing it for what it really is.[/quote]

I didn't know it was a Koranic mandate, like I said. I apologize for my ignorance. I was just saying I didn't judge all Muslims by the people who are violent, etc because I didn't think it was fair since I know that lunatic Christians often give all of us a bad name and I thought that was probably true of other religions. Yes, I should've reserached the issue more but, you know, I have my own issues with my own religion that I'm working on here and most things I've heard from the Muslim community in my area (which are, admittedly limited) are against domestic violence and I've known Muslims and people married to Muslim men who had no issues so no cause for concern really ever came up. But, regarding Christians...there are, of course, no mandates in the Bible that tell someone to abuse their wives but there are Christians who think it's OK based on things like "wives be submissive to your husbands" and "women who speak in church are a disgrace" etc and people who think it's ok to beat their kids because of the whol "spare the rod and spoil the child" business. (Which, now that I think of it-why the heck is that OK?)-Katie

Edited by Tinkerlina

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1788351' date='Feb 22 2009, 03:52 PM']Thanks, Hassan. Yeah, if you have any titles to recommend or anything, let me know. I'm never going to excuse the Koran's allowance of this kind of thing but I do try to give all cultures/religions/belief systems an objective look. Btw, if anyone's interested, the story of the beheading was covered in my local paper. There were other articles about various Muslim community groups having sessions on domestic violence issues and such, so I'm glad that many in the community reject violence against their wives. Here's the article : [url="http://www.buffalonews.com/home/story/586519.html"]A History of Abuse Preceeded Orchard Park Beheading[/url] -Katie[/quote]

I don't either, but I do think that fairness is important.

Shabbir Akhtar is probably the most honest religious wirtter I have ever read of any faith. Hans Kung wrote an interesting book very recently, I only got through the first like 200 pages and lost interest but it was a good book from what I saw. Sayyed Hosein Nasr wrote a good book called "The Heart of Islam". I don't really respect him as a philosopher but he's certianly an authority on Shia Islam and Sufism. Maulana Muhammad Ali's "The Religion of Islam" is both really good and kind of worthless. He belonged to an odd sect (although this text was approved by Al Ahzar Mosque) so he has some unique positions on Jesus and such but other than those odd things it's a really good book.

Also, if you want to understand some muslim terrorist movements "Milestones" (yeah, same title as the Pope's book, I found that odd) by Sayyed Qutb is good.

Muhammad Iqbal, Tariq Ramadan,

Anyone who tells you "Islam" teaches "X" is probably wrong. There is a huge ammount of diversity (particularly in the modern era). It would be like saying "Christianity" (including all sects of Christianity, not just the "true" one) says "X". But you can kind of get general ideas or understand the traditional understanding according to "X" school.

[quote name='Hassan' post='1788378' date='Feb 22 2009, 04:28 PM']Anyone who tells you "Islam" teaches "X" is probably wrong. There is a huge ammount of diversity (particularly in the modern era). It would be like saying "Christianity" (including all sects of Christianity, not just the "true" one) says "X". But you can kind of get general ideas or understand the traditional understanding according to "X" school.[/quote]

Yes, that's what I figured, it seems to be true for most religions. Thanks for the resources! -Katie

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Hassan' post='1788277' date='Feb 22 2009, 03:32 PM']shoo fly, don't bother me

that's not what I said and I'd recommend you go back and read a tad more carefully.[/quote]

:shock:

OH MY GOODNESS! THAT IS SO MINE! SO MINE! SO MINE! OH MY... YOU HAVE JUST.... I MEAN, SILLY COULD HAVE BEEN ARGUED TO BE YOURS, BUT "SHOO FLY DON'T BOTHER ME".... THAT IS MINE!

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1789109' date='Feb 23 2009, 01:36 AM']:shock:

OH MY GOODNESS! THAT IS SO MINE! SO MINE! SO MINE! OH MY... YOU HAVE JUST.... I MEAN, SILLY COULD HAVE BEEN ARGUED TO BE YOURS, BUT "SHOO FLY DON'T BOTHER ME".... THAT IS MINE![/quote]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoo_Fly,_Don't_Bother_Me"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoo_Fly,_Don't_Bother_Me[/url]

you're not on the sauce again are you?

so sad :ohno:

You had so much potential, but you wasted in on booze and phatmass.

What will Pio and what's her name think?

:sadwalk:

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Hassan' post='1789112' date='Feb 23 2009, 01:40 AM'][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoo_Fly,_Don't_Bother_Me"]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoo_Fly,_Don't_Bother_Me[/url]

you're not on the sauce again are you?

so sad :ohno:[/quote]

I was the FIRST to use it on this board. You are making me look silly, but you know what anyone who spends time on the LAME BOARD knows the truth. It was me!

[quote]You had so much potential, but you wasted in on booze and phatmass.[/quote]

Once again:

I am underage

I am joining the pioneer program for people who do not drink "booze"

and phatmass has nothing to do with it

[quote]What will Pio and what's her name think?

:sadwalk:[/quote]

you mean, your daughter, MARIA?

Some father you are. <_<

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1789127' date='Feb 23 2009, 01:56 AM']I was the FIRST to use it on this board[/quote]

meh <_<

[quote]You are making me look silly[/quote]

Sure, I'm making you look silly :rolleyes:

[quote]but you know what anyone who spends time on the LAME BOARD knows the truth. It was me![/quote]

fine

[quote]Once again:

I am underage[/quote]

so am I :rolleyes:

[quote]I am joining the pioneer program for people who do not drink "booze"[/quote]

hm, used to be that you were in it, now you're going to be in it, interesting :detective:

[quote]you mean, your daughter, MARIA?

Some father you are. <_<[/quote]

I know, I was testing to make sure booze haden't ravaged her mothers memory to much. I'm just that thoughtful :cool:

I wanted to name her Faten. She's a sweet girl, the sort who would give someone a [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/35037150@N07/3289014033/"]free icedream treat[/url]

:saint:

:D

Edited by Hassan

TotusTuusMaria

[quote]Sure, I'm making you look silly :rolleyes:[/quote]

:P

All you have to do is just admit that it was me... all of these posts are going to get us moved to the lame board again.

[quote]fine[/quote]

THANK YOU! :))

[quote]hm, used to be that you were in it, now you're going to be in it, interesting :detective:[/quote]

Potatoes/Patatoes

shoo fly don't bother me

[quote]I know, I was testing to make sure booze haden't ravaged her mothers memory to much. I'm just that thoughtful :cool:

I wanted to name her Faten. She's a sweet girl, the sort who would give someone a [url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/35037150@N07/3289014033/"]free icedream treat[/url]

:saint:

:D[/quote]

Yeah lets name our daughter after one of your floozies who picks up guys with icedream coupons or the Blessed Mother... hmmm... hard choice. :rolleyes:

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1789162' date='Feb 23 2009, 02:44 AM']:P

All you have to do is just admit that it was me... all of these posts are going to get us moved to the lame board again.[/quote]

this thread has been lame for some time now.

For the sake of the children I will admit that you may have introduced the phrase into phatmass

[quote]THANK YOU! :))[/quote]

bout time I got some thanks in this marriage :rolleyes:

[quote]Potatoes/Patatoes[/quote]

You misspelled the second word there

[quote]shoo fly don't bother me[/quote]

:weep:

[quote]Yeah lets name our daughter after one of your floozies who picks up guys with icedream coupons or the Blessed Mother... hmmm... hard choice. :rolleyes:[/quote]

She's no floozie and she wasn't picking me up, she's engaged, wants to have 15 kids and has their names picked out :shock:

shame on you Maria, shame on you :ohno:

TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='Hassan' post='1789181' date='Feb 23 2009, 04:07 AM']this thread has been lame for some time now.[/quote]

:lol:

[quote]For the sake of the children I will admit that you may have introduced the phrase into phatmass[/quote]

:))

[quote]bout time I got some thanks in this marriage :rolleyes:[/quote]

bout time you admitted the truth about shoo fly <_<

[quote]You misspelled the second word there[/quote]

I was doing it so you could get what I was saying... it obviously went over your head. :rolleyes:

[quote]She's no floozie and she wasn't picking me up, she's engaged, wants to have 15 kids and has their names picked out :shock:[/quote]

That wasn't what you were saying about her on valentines...

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

[quote name='TotusTuusMaria' post='1789184' date='Feb 23 2009, 03:17 AM']:lol:

:))

bout time you admitted the truth about shoo fly <_<[/quote]

:rolleyes:

[quote]I was doing it so you could get what I was saying... it obviously went over your head. :rolleyes:[/quote]

I didn't type that, Pio did, he was so proud he would read mommies writting, now he's sobbing in the corner

:ohno:

[quote]That wasn't what you were saying about her on valentines...[/quote]

only to your jelousy ravaged mind :ohno:

TotusTuusMaria

[quote]I didn't type that, Pio did, he was so proud he would read mommies writting, now he's sobbing in the corner

:ohno:[/quote]

I'm going to comfort him. :console:

Poor Pio. :ohno: His father putting him in the middle of his parents' bickerings .... tsk tsk tsk. :ohno:

I hope, as a father, you'll take the time out to read this:

[url="http://www.aamft.org/families/Consumer_Updates/Managing%20Conflict%20During%20Divorce.asp"]http://www.aamft.org/families/Consumer_Upd...g%20Divorce.asp[/url]

I would like to especially highlight this part:
[b]
"Research has documented the impact of parental conflict on children. Children experience extreme stress when one parent hurts the other physically and/or emotionally, when the conflict is about them, or when there is verbal aggression. Children are also stressed by unresolved fights and use of the silent treatment.

Although not the intention of most parents, [i]putting children in the middle of conflict is particularly detrimental. [/i]Examples of this are: asking children to carry messages between parents, grilling children about the other parent’s activities, telling children the other parent does not love them, and putting the other parent down in front of the children. Poorly managed conflict between parents increases children’s risk of behavior problems, depression, substance abuse and dependence, poor social skills, and poor academic performance."[/b]

Please be a more responsible parent next time. You are making our child more depressed, and you are causing him to have future substance abuse, social skills, and academic issues in the future. <_<

[quote]only to your jelousy ravaged mind :ohno:[/quote]

:rolleyes: Everyone on the lame board saw you bragging about "your valentine who gave you an icedream coupon" and whining because you lost it.

Edited by TotusTuusMaria

Madame Vengier

[quote name='Hassan' post='1788291' date='Feb 22 2009, 02:42 PM']Islam but it hardly get's a fair shake here (for the most part).[/quote]

That's hilarious. While Muslims are killing and oppressing in the name of Islam all over the world, the rest of us are supposed to "give it a fair shake". LOL.