An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Foca Fiasco

prose

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1777483' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:06 PM']Lol. Canada is weird.[/quote]
Yea.....
We have MPs.

...and we don't vote for a Prime Minister!! What a foreign idea.

HisChildForever

I need to remind the board what you said.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1777129' date='Feb 9 2009, 06:50 PM']I guess you had some special access to him, because I don't recall him campaigning on anything related to FOCA. He talked about his views on abortion, but he didn't proclaim him full steam ahead mission of passing and signing FOCA.[/quote]

Whether or not Obama was lying, he [b]did[/b] campaign for FOCA and he made it [b]clear[/b] that he had every intention of passing and signing the bill.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1777494' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:10 PM']I need to remind the board what you said.

Whether or not Obama was lying, he [b]did[/b] campaign for FOCA and he made it [b]clear[/b] that he had every intention of passing and signing the bill.[/quote]
I hardly think that telling PP that he'll sign a pro-abortion bill counts as "campaigning on it." I just didn't see it. Not one of his major, non special interest group speeches mentioned FOCA, or if he did mention it, was it more than a few seconds. To me, that doesn't count as "campaigning on it." It wasn't a major issue during the election.

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1777497' date='Feb 10 2009, 12:12 AM']Fidei sounds like my middle brother when we prove him wrong outright. ;)[/quote]

Does your middle brother also deny being wrong? :detective:

Fidei Defensor

I think "hearing what you want" really applies here. You're more apt to listen for abortion related things because that's your top issue, and I'm more likely to ignore it because it's a non-issue to me.

Chances are I just missed when he talked about it (though I honestly didn't hear much about it) and you picked up on it because you were looking for it.

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1777501' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:15 PM']Does your middle brother also deny being wrong? :detective:[/quote]
Yea.
Then he tries to prove that that wasn't what he meant all along.

Then to make thing worse, he still tries to prove everyone else wrong. :)

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1777507' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:18 PM']Yea.
Then he tries to prove that that wasn't what he meant all along.

Then to make thing worse, he still tries to prove everyone else wrong. :)[/quote]
Ah ha, you guys...! You're talking about me! Good golly gosh.

Regardless of what we might wish to hear, he DID say it. He said it to a group while he was out garnering support for his campaign. Another term for this would be "campaigning."

We heard it because it was and is a major issue. The bill is a very extreme one, and as citizens of these United States, we have a right to let our representatives know what we believe, where we stand on the issues, and how we wish to be represented.

As Pres. Obama himself said that it would be the first thing he would do, opponents to the bill perked up to the comment. Why wouldn't they, as they are OPPONENTS to the bill. A candidate making a campaign promise that this bill would be his first priority would of course garner attention.

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1777510' date='Feb 10 2009, 12:20 AM']Ah ha, you guys...! You're talking about me! Good golly gosh.[/quote]
Sorry, I was talking about Nihil's middle brother ;)

Edited by CatholicCid

HisChildForever

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1777498' date='Feb 9 2009, 11:13 PM']I hardly think that telling PP that he'll sign a pro-abortion bill counts as "campaigning on it." I just didn't see it. Not one of his major, non special interest group speeches mentioned FOCA, or if he did mention it, was it more than a few seconds. To me, that doesn't count as "campaigning on it." It wasn't a major issue during the election.[/quote]

What do you classify as "campaigning" then?

[b] Pres. Barack Obama has been on record for quite some time saying he will sign the Freedom of Choice Act. Actually, he stated the first thing he would do in office is sign this act. [/b]

[b]He told the conservative audience during Saddleback he wants to decrease the number of abortions.[/b]

Source: [url="http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/letters/chi-090203novak_briefs,0,7493342.story"]http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion...0,7493342.story[/url]

We know [u]exactly[/u] what his policy is regarding abortion.

[b]President Obama struck down a rule Friday that prohibits U.S. money from funding international family-planning clinics that promote abortion or provide counseling or referrals about abortion services.[/b]

Source: [url="http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/23/obama.abortion/"]http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/23/obama.abortion/[/url]

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1777512' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:21 PM']Sorry, I was talking about Nihil's middle brother ;)[/quote]
Me too. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Although there is a neat little similarity here....... :))

[quote name='Nihil Obstat' post='1777515' date='Feb 10 2009, 12:23 AM']Me too. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Although there is a neat little similarity here....... :))[/quote]

Are you suggesting Fidei is your middle brother? They have genetic tests to prove such things :topsy:

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1777512' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:21 PM']Regardless of what we might wish to hear, he DID say it. He said it to a group while he was out garnering support for his campaign. Another term for this would be "campaigning."

We heard it because it was and is a major issue. The bill is a very extreme one, and as citizens of these United States, we have a right to let our representatives know what where we stand on the issues and how we wish to be represented.

As Pres. Obama himself said that it would be the first thing he would do, opponents to the bill perked up to the comment. Why wouldn't they, as they are OPPONENTS to the bill. A candidate making a campaign promise that this bill would be his first priority would of course garner attention.

Sorry, I was talking about Nihil's middle brother ;)[/quote]

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1777513' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:21 PM']What do you classify as "campaigning" then?

[b] Pres. Barack Obama has been on record for quite some time saying he will sign the Freedom of Choice Act. Actually, he stated the first thing he would do in office is sign this act. [/b]

[b]He told the conservative audience during Saddleback he wants to decrease the number of abortions.[/b]

Source: [url="http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/letters/chi-090203novak_briefs,0,7493342.story"]http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion...0,7493342.story[/url]

We know [u]exactly[/u] what his policy is regarding abortion.

[b]President Obama struck down a rule Friday that prohibits U.S. money from funding international family-planning clinics that promote abortion or provide counseling or referrals about abortion services.[/b]

Source: [url="http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/23/obama.abortion/"]http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/01/23/obama.abortion/[/url][/quote]
The campaigning he did in regards to abortions and FOCA is not the same as campaigning to the general public. He made that comment to a group gathered at Planned Parenthood. Why wouldn't he mention FOCA? He was never shy about saying he would sign something like FOCA, but he only ever said it would be the first thing he would sign once, to PP. How does that constitute a major promise during campaigning?

I never said it was a "major" promise, but that it was a promise he made during campaigning. A promise that he himself said would be "the first thing" he signed as President. This would suggest that, at the moment he made that statement, it was a major issue to him, if it was something that he felt needed to be the FIRST thing he did.

I'm sure there is video of him speaking if you wish us to dig it up so that you might hear him actually say it.

Edited by CatholicCid

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='CatholicCid' post='1777525' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:30 PM']I never said it was a "major" promise, but that it was a promise he made during campaigning. A promised that he himself said would be "the first thing" he signed as President. This would suggest that, at the moment he made that statement, it was a major issue to him, if it was something that he felt needed to be the FIRST thing he did.

I'm sure there is video of him speaking if you wish us to dig it up so that you might hear him actually say it.[/quote]
Yes, thanks for repeating that 100 times. I watched the video. However, saying it again and again doesn't mean jack. If it was something important, like other things he talked about, they would be major parts of most of his speeches. Talking about "the first thing" he'd sign being FOCA was mentioned ONCE in a speech to an abortion INTEREST GROUP. That's called phishing for votes and telling them whatever you think they want to hear. Imagine that, PP wanting to hear that he'd sign a bill "first thing" to unrestrict abortions. Who woulda' thunk?