An Old School Catholic Message Board

The Foca Fiasco

prose

So, what has been happening with FOCA? Nothing? Something? Seemed so high priority for a while, and now I haven't heard anything in a while.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='prose' post='1776744' date='Feb 9 2009, 08:59 AM']So, what has been happening with FOCA? Nothing? Something? Seemed so high priority for a while, and now I haven't heard anything in a while.[/quote]
It never was high priority. Some around here [i]made[/i] it high priority, or created the appearance that Obama's only goal for his presidency was to sign FOCA, but that's not the case.

[quote name='prose' post='1776748' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:19 AM']But didn't Obama say that was the first thing he was going to do when he got into office?[/quote]

Yes, he did. I think the economic issues have now taken precedence in his administration. He seems to be focusing on getting his "stimulus" bill passed and ignoring any campaign promises he made like signing FOCA.

dominicansoul

[quote name='fidei defensor' post='1776747' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:12 AM']It never was high priority. Some around here [i]made[/i] it high priority, or created the appearance that Obama's only goal for his presidency was to sign FOCA, but that's not the case.[/quote]
LOL! obama said it was going to be one of the first things he did...apparently, you are still living in that fantasy land you created when you voted for him...even he would disagree with you! LOL!

FOCA isn't being talked about because it's gone stealth.

we need to keep those prayers going to stop it!

missionseeker

heh... tomorrow he's coming an hour from here to campaign for his stimulus plan...

What the hey?

a) why Ft. meyers
b) since when does a president campaign to get his bill passed.

Seems a little desperate to me. maybe I am not well versed in the history of politics though?

missionseeker

[url="http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20090209/pl_bloomberg/acfhbxl0pxdi"]http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20090209...rg/acfhbxl0pxdi[/url]

ok so Reagan did it... still.... :idontknow:

[quote name='missionseeker' post='1776767' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:27 AM']heh... tomorrow he's coming an hour from here to campaign for his stimulus plan...

What the hey?

a) why Ft. meyers
b) since when does a president campaign to get his bill passed.

Seems a little desperate to me. maybe I am not well versed in the history of politics though?[/quote]

Old people vote. Politicians always came to Florida because people vote there, and rich people live there who finance the campaigns of the people who are going to vote on it. Besides in February, he's not going to campaign in North Dakota.

puellapaschalis

I was under the impression (granted, I'm a dumb European and know nothing of politics, let alone US politics) that FOCA never really had a cat in hell's chance of being passed anyway. The game play was to after a while step down over FOCA saying it was unworkable or something, thus casting President Obama in a wonderfully tolerant and moderate light and ridiculing the pro-life crowd - and all the while passing [i]other[/i] laws which are just as dangerous, completely under to pro-life radar.

So I thought it was just a red herring. But then this is what I've got about third hand from reading Fr.Z's blog :)

With a voice filled with dismay and bordering on outright anger, God the Father said, “Freedom of Choice indeed!”

He continued, “Don’t they realize that I am the only one who has any choice at all in a woman’s pregnancy?”

“I decide who will be graced with one of the greatest gifts in their lives. I provide children so that couples can see their investment in the future each time they look into the child’s eyes. Yes, I know that many couples discount this gift and simply kill ( ‘terminate’ ) the child ( ‘ mass of cells’ ).”

“They may have been told by a “doctor” that the child will be somewhat less than normal and should not be allowed to become a burden on them. These people may have not seen the parents around them who are filled with joy at the gift they have received. These killers also do not see the light and joy in the eyes of a ‘handicapped’ child as she watches in awe a butterfly in flight.”

He continued, “They will use the argument that the unmarried couple had not planned on the pregnancy and simply wanted to be rid of any responsibility to the life that we created. They had not ever taken a look of the couples who started their families in similar circumstances. Many of my best friends, and greatest loving couples “had to get married” and they matured into loving, generous and dedicated families.”

“Put yourself in My place for a moment. You have three people who come before you one day in search of eternal joy. One of these people has never heard of Me, but follows a deity that respects life. Has done no harm to any of his neighbors, and has treated everything I gave him, flowers, food, animals, and children with respect. The second is from your society, has seen the horror of the murder of tens of millions of youngsters and worked against abortion and the related issues in order to prevent the continuation of the evil. The third is from your society and may have, without remorse, (1) killed her child, (2) participated in the murder of a child, (3) promoted the death of a child, (4) allowed through inaction the death of a child, or ( 5) simply turned a blind eye to the entire issue since it was “Someone else’s problem.” Of these, how many would you admit? One? Two? All three? “

“Next time while you are in prayer, let’s chat about this and see which of the three is closest to being you.”

+J.M.J.+
from what i understand, FOCA is getting split up and inserted into other bills in the hopes that they can get it through without raising pro-life groups' ire.

[quote name='Lil Red' post='1776925' date='Feb 9 2009, 03:37 PM']+J.M.J.+
from what i understand, FOCA is getting split up and inserted into other bills in the hopes that they can get it through without raising pro-life groups' ire.[/quote]

That's so shady, it's a weeping willow tree. Except the tree is weeping because its potential future caregiver and nurturer would be killed in the womb.

Fidei Defensor

[quote name='dominicansoul' post='1776760' date='Feb 9 2009, 10:07 AM']LOL! obama said it was going to be one of the first things he did...apparently, you are still living in that fantasy land you created when you voted for him...even he would disagree with you! LOL!

FOCA isn't being talked about because it's gone stealth.

we need to keep those prayers going to stop it![/quote]
I guess you had some special access to him, because I don't recall him campaigning on anything related to FOCA. He talked about his views on abortion, but he didn't proclaim him full steam ahead mission of passing and signing FOCA.

I think you've got an extreme case of hearing what you want to. And being that most everyone around here villifies him over everything because of his abortion views, it wouldn't surprise me if he never actually mentioned FOCA much. I never heard much about it, anyway. But I guess I was just too in love with my liberal media.