An Old School Catholic Message Board

Catholicplanet.com

EcceNovaFacioOmni

[quote name='picchick' post='1732462' date='Dec 20 2008, 02:14 AM']Again, not to beat a dead horse but this is not really what you think...because if that were true then you would not have been so inconsistent in your other posts when I confronting you about the same thing.[/quote]
I guess I got cut off this morning. What I meant to say:

you are beating a dead horse. You can take this anyway you want too, but from an ideal point of view in general I think his views concerning the roles of men and women, are correct and in line with Tradition-Scripture-Magisterium. But God does not force his will, his plan, his design, his desired order upon mankind, therefore God permits the equation or reversal of roles in of men and women in secular society, in the family and to a limited extent within the Church.

I suppose I could start a thread here in the debate table presenting questions, answers, and random thoughts concerning the topic of roles of men and women and the purpose and reasoning behind God's design from time immemorial, since I have thought and read about it a bit lately, but I'm not convinced the good consequences of starting such a thread would outweight the bad, in this forum and in this present situation.

And besides, who is to say what I am thinking at this point in time. As a Christian human being my intellectual and moral life is constantly evolving at different paces from time to time. I have a moral obligation to seek truth, and seek a better understanding of it in throughout my journey of life. I must work to rebuild, and renovate my life from day to day, and this includes my understanding of the Faith and all other knowledge attainable via the light of reason. I must build on any good and useful insights from the past, and discard the erroneous and useless ones. Therefore what I was thinking a few months ago may have become deeper or slightley changed or modified, etc. Even my understanding of the Great Monarch has evolved and changed over time. To me and my life the Faith is not static, its evolving or growing according to God's will for me.

Alright that is my last response here. It is almost X-mas.

Certainly, it was considered sinful for women to wear men's clothing once upon a time. It was a plot point in [i]The Black Arrow[/i], if I recall correctly. But that was because it was seen as, essentially, cross-dressing - a woman attempting to present herself to the world as a man.

If women wear [i]women's[/i] pants, they aren't cross-dressing.

Joan of Arc was given a hard time for dressing in armor and like a soldier. She explained that as she was living in conditions where she was forced to be among men, she felt more comfortable dressing that way. She refused to change into a dress for her trial, I think - but she was confined in a cell [i]with men in it[/i] so I can understand her reticence.

Cremating the dead is only wrong if it is seen as a denial of the resurrection of the body. Wearing pants should only be seen as wrong if it is intended as a denial of the femininity of the woman in question.

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Noel's angel' post='1732723' date='Dec 20 2008, 07:00 PM']'Traditional' Catholics....think about that phrase. All Catholics are Traditional in a sense, and those who claim to be more traditional than the rest of us, usually end up being less than orthodox.[/quote]

There's nothing wrong with the phrase Traditional Catholic, there's nothing wrong with being a Traditional Catholic. And there is nothing wrong with thinking that women should wear women clothing and men, men clothing. This guy does however seem to take somethings too far, but I would agree partly with mortify. But yes there would be something wrong with a Catholic thinking he or she is more righteous than other Catholics.

Edited by KnightofChrist

[quote name='Galloglasses' Alt' post='1732636' date='Dec 20 2008, 02:33 PM']Picchick take it easy, Kafka's post got cut off on him.[/quote]

I was taking it very easy until I read this. I had no problem with it. My ... was a ... meaning: and?

If I take it any more easy then I'd be dead.

[indent]Religious beliefs are really evolving but it does not mean it is going better. Terminologies, rituals and ethics dance with the changing society brought by world’s advancement on science and technologies but still, the same failure was committed that is, believers stop to seek the truth because their ‘faith’ is their reason to believe and not the truth itself.

This coming of Christ is always an agenda of a believer. They are always looking at the sky hoping to see the answer from the stars but do you know that Christ is in you? Why don’t you deep down to your inner self and judge yourself as if you are not yourself. Then, you will see my Lord, crying and dying because you are looking at these created things which are less important than yourself.

If I were you, I will not waste my time using the scripture as a crystal ball of a sorcerer. The word of God is not a tarot card that you can used to guide your useless deeds and plans. You really deserve to die forever nonetheless, you still have time to change and I hope you are listening.[/indent]

Christianity is a naturally apocalyptic religion. We do look to Christ's coming with hope and anticipation, and we live our lives (or should, anyway) with the knowledge and understanding that today could very well be our last day.

That doesn't require looking to the stars; you can die in a car crash at any time. The end of the world may be more dramatic to think about, but we [i]know[/i] our own personal lives will come to an end, sooner or later. [i]That[/i] isn't an article of faith; the reality of death is fairly certain ;).

I agree that people who predict dates with supposed certainty are missing the point, and falling into a dangerous error of presuming to know God's mind when he never shared that part of his plan with us. The idea has always been - be ready! You do not know the hour. Do not let the Master return and find you sleeping. Every year, we have the season of Advent to remind us that we should be taking the opportunity to prepare. Worrying about what is going to happen in what year, who will be pope or president...how does that matter? There will [i]always[/i] be calamaties - natural disasters, wars - that point to the end times that the Bible predicts. All times are 'the end times.' I would worry if Christians got complacent, and began to think, "I can always repent....tomorrow. There will be time to pray...later. I can be a saint...someday, but not today."

If today you hear His voice, harden not your hearts.

[indent]I have questions to all Catholics and Protestants:

1. Do you wait for Jesus Christ to come?
2. In what way do you think he will come?
3. Are there any signs before his coming?
4. And from where and from whom such belief originate?[/indent]

Galloglasses' Alt

Yes. Sides, He's never all too far away from us anyway. The wait's pretty bearable.

As descreibed in Revelations but at an utterly unpredictable time. If someone says doomsday is round the corner, he's a liar, and you should sprinkle him with water for being silly.

Yep, but you still have no idea on what day or at what hour he will come. So safe bet is to continually repent as soon as the first truely recogniseable sign appears. (Provided you haven't been repenting too often before hand)

4. And from where and from whom such belief originate?
The Bible and Holy Mother Church who thought me it.

Edited by Galloglasses' Alt

[quote name='reyb' post='1734271' date='Dec 23 2008, 03:42 AM'][indent]I have questions to all Catholics and Protestants:

4. And from where and from whom such belief originate?[/indent][/quote]
Normally, I would not answer such questions, since it seems the member "reyb" is set out to provoke. Yet, this will be a good eschatological exercise for me and hopefully benefiting Christians who might read this:

[b]1. Do you wait for Jesus Christ to come?[/b]

Yes. He will not leave me an orphan in a personal way unto death, and he will not leave His Faithful orphans in a public way unto the end of the world. It is a good, useful, comforting, even a joyful thought and occasion that one day Christ will return and set order, punishing the wicked and exoneratubg the poor, the meek of the earth of all times and all places:

The Gospel of Mathew
{5:3} “Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
{5:4} Blessed are the meek, for they shall possess the earth.
{5:5} Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be consoled.
{5:6} Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they shall be satisfied.

When Christ comes the Second time there will be joy among the Faithful in the midst of suffering unutterable:

Zephaniah 3: 14-17
"Give praise, daughter of Zion. Shout joyfully, Israel. Rejoice and exult with all your heart, daughter of Jerusalem. The Lord has taken away your judgment; he has turned aside your foes. The king of Israel, the Lord, is in your midst; you shall no longer fear evil. In that day, it will be said to Jerusalem, “Do not be afraid,” and to Zion, “Do not let your hands be weakened.” The Lord your God is the strength in your midst; he will save. He will rejoice over you with gladness. In his love, he will be silent. He will exult over you with praise.”

[b]
2. In what way do you think he will come? [/b]

The Gospel of Mathew:

{24:30} And then the sign of the Son of man shall appear in heaven. And then all tribes of the earth shall mourn. And they shall see the Son of man coming on the clouds of heaven, with great power and majesty.

~ the sign of the Son of man is the blessed Virgin Mary, the only other one to be assumed body and soul into Heaven. She is the perfect disciple of Jesus Christ. She follows and assists Him wherever He goes, therefore she is the sign of Christ in Heaven. Jesus Christ accompanied by the Blessed Virgin Mary will descend from Heaven to Earth on that day. A shudder, a mourning will pass upon the inhabitants of the earth, both Faithful and unfaithful alike upon their appearance in the heavens as said in Mathew.

The Prophecy of Nahum:
{1:15} Behold, over the mountains, the feet of the Evangelizer and the Announcer of peace. Judah, celebrate your festivals and keep your vows. For Belial will never again pass through you; he has completely passed away.

~ the Evangelizer is Jesus Christ, the Announcer of peace is the Blessed Virgin Mary. Belial is a name referring to Antichrist.

The Song of Songs of Solomon
{2:8} The voice of my beloved, behold he cometh leaping upon the mountains, skipping over the hills.

[b]
3. Are there any signs before his coming? [/b]

Yes. Namely the nearly seven years of the reign of Antichrist assisted by the False Prophet(ess). The Sun and Moon, even the stars will be a sign to those Christians in the distant future. And they will know the time of Christ's coming, since it is clear in Sacred Scripture. And they will be strengthened and they will be lifted up in the midst of suffering unknown until that time:

The Prophecy of Isaiah
{24:23} And the moon shall blush, and the sun shall be ashamed, when the Lord of hosts shall reign in mount Sion, and in Jerusalem, and shall be glorified in the sight of his ancients.

The Nearly Seven Years of the Reign of Antichrist:

The Prophecy of Daniel:
{9:27} And he shall confirm the covenant with many, in one week: and in the half of the week the victim and the sacrifice shall fail: and there shall be in the temple the abomination of desolation: and the desolation shall continue even to the consummation, and to the end.

~the one week is the seven years of the reign of Antichrist and the half of the week is the half way point where he (assisted by the False Prophetess) sets up the abomination of desolation, namely the false damnable eucharist, damning those who partake of it, and in general damning the nations.

The Book of Psalms:
{11:7} The eloquence of the Lord is pure eloquence, silver tested by fire, purged from the earth, refined seven times.

~ the seven times, refers to multiple things, including the seven falls of Christ on His way of the Cross and the seven years of the reign of Antichrist where the Faithful, the true Christians, will be tested by a fire unknown until that time and refined, made glorious unlike any other age of the Church

[b]4. And from where and from whom such belief originate?[/b]

Divine Revelation namely:

Sacred Tradtion-Sacred Scripture-Sacred Magisterium a true reflection of the Holy Trinity:

Father-Son-Spirit: Three Persons of One Divine Nature.

Tradition-Scripture-Magisterium: Three aspects of one Divine Revelation. Sacred Scripture proceeds from Sacred Tradition as the Son proceeds from the Father. Sacred Magisterium proceeds primarily from Sacred Tradition, and secondarily from Sacred Scripture, as the Spirit proceeds primarily from the Father, and secondarily from the Son.

Tradition: The Deeds wrought by God in salvation history (Dei Verbum).

Scripture: The Words (or one unutterable Word) written by God as an expression or reflection clarifying His Deeds.

Magisterium: The teaching authority of the Church, drawing upon Tradition and Scripture, guided by the Spirit.

Edited by kafka

Archaeology cat

[quote name='kafka' post='1738540' date='Dec 30 2008, 05:02 AM']The Book of Psalms:
{11:7} The eloquence of the Lord is pure eloquence, silver tested by fire, purged from the earth, refined seven times.

~ the seven times, refers to multiple things, including the [color="#FF0000"]seven falls of Christ on His way of the Cross[/color] and the seven years of the reign of Antichrist where the Faithful, the true Christians, will be tested by a fire unknown until that time and refined, made glorious unlike any other age of the Church
Scripture, guided by the Spirit.[/quote]
Wait, I thought Christ fell 3 times. Can you point me to your source, so I'll know in the future, please? Thanks!

dairygirl4u2c

jesus said we can't know the day or hour, but that we can know the signs of times.

that could mean, we know it's fast approaching, and even possibly we could now the week, month, andor year.

if we won't insist we know it's fast approaching or soon or whatever, then we trivialize what jesus said we can know.
as for me, i am not a prophet of God, but i am sure there are many out there who could say. as long as a discerning spirit exists to separate the good ones from bad.

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1739435' date='Dec 31 2008, 03:24 AM']Wait, I thought Christ fell 3 times. Can you point me to your source, so I'll know in the future, please? Thanks![/quote]
It is not explicitly stated in the Gospels how many times He fell. We commemorate three of his falls in the devotion of the stations of the Cross, but in my opinion based on that verse of the Psalms I think he fell seven times. Plus, the seven falls is fitting since it foreshadows the of Passion and Crucifixion of the Church during the seven years of Antichrist's reign.

Archaeology cat

[quote name='kafka' post='1739615' date='Dec 31 2008, 05:35 PM']It is not explicitly stated in the Gospels how many times He fell. We commemorate three of his falls in the devotion of the stations of the Cross, but in my opinion based on that verse of the Psalms I think he fell seven times. Plus, the seven falls is fitting since it foreshadows the of Passion and Crucifixion of the Church during the seven years of Antichrist's reign.[/quote]
Gotcha - thanks for explaining where you were coming from with that. :)

[quote name='Archaeology cat' post='1739676' date='Dec 31 2008, 01:30 PM']Gotcha - thanks for explaining where you were coming from with that. :)[/quote]
I was reading through some of Blessed Anne Catherine Emmerich's "The Dolorous Passion of Jesus Christ" and she describes the detail of five distinct times he fell on the Way to the Cross. I still think he fell a total of seven times based on that verse of Psalms. As far as I can tell; in her visions she did not see the entire sequence of Christ carrying the Cross, since at times she would see what was happening to Blessed Mother or Saint John or the happenings in other parts of Jerusalem as this unfolded.