An Old School Catholic Message Board

Sspx: Jews Are 'our Elder Brothers

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Madame Vengier' post='1769666' date='Feb 2 2009, 10:58 AM']I'm taking note of the ease (and sometimes, GLEE) with which many Catholics condemn the Jews, even referring to their theology as "heretical", while not lifting a finger to criticize Islam for that and so much worse.[/quote]

Who would that be?

Edited by Hassan

KnightofChrist

[quote name='Hassan' post='1769691' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:56 AM']Who would that be?[/quote]

Really because I have criticized Islam, radical and otherwise.

In all seriousness, I think it is clear that the SSPX statments villify the Jewish people on grounds outside of theology (which as I have said several times is completely unjust) and their newest statement just seems like semantic garbage to me. But sometimes with the tantilizing hope of Christian Unity you have to eat the semantic garbage and hope you can mold a more rational, loving mindset when they come around on the doctrinal issues which separate them from Mother Church.

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1769668' date='Feb 2 2009, 08:00 AM']There is nothing supercilious about stating that today's Judaism is a false religion. Rabbinism is NOT the same Judaism as existed in 33AD and therefore the majority of modern, practicing Jews are devoted to a religion redefined in the absence of Christ and the temple.

. . .[/quote]
I agree. Rabbinic Judaism is not Biblical Judaism. Christianity is the continuation and fulfillment of Biblical Judaism.

HisChildForever

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1769660' date='Feb 2 2009, 09:24 AM']Catholicism is the one True Faith, Judaism as it is today is heretical, and false.[/quote]

So that justifies all the garbage the SSPX has published on their website?

KnightofChrist

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1769929' date='Feb 2 2009, 04:28 PM']So that justifies all the garbage the SSPX has published on their website?[/quote]

The parts that are anti-Semitism not justified because hatred of an ethnic group is sinful. The parts that are anti-Judaism are justified because 'Judaism' is false.

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1769668' date='Feb 2 2009, 11:00 AM']That said, I agree with Tink that these statements about the economic and social "virulence" of the Jewish people just reeks of Anti-semitism no matter how much this group tries to hide it with semantics. Accusing a social group of economic poison is a great way to start a riot or a holocaust.[/quote]
This is exactly one of the tactics Hitler used.

[quote name='cmotherofpirl' post='1770023' date='Feb 2 2009, 05:35 PM']This is exactly one of the tactics Hitler used.[/quote]

That was Tink's point!

[quote name='KnightofChrist' post='1769979' date='Feb 2 2009, 05:56 PM']The parts that are anti-Semitism not justified because hatred of an ethnic group is sinful. The parts that are anti-Judaism are justified because 'Judaism' is false.[/quote]

I don't know what 'Judaism' is but Judaism is not false. It's incomplete and misled through no fault of it's own.

[quote name='Seven77' post='1770037' date='Feb 2 2009, 03:48 PM']I don't know what 'Judaism' is but Judaism is not false. It's incomplete and misled through no fault of it's own.[/quote]
Christianity is the continuation and fulfillment of Biblical Judaism, while Rabbinic Judaism is the religion devised by the Rabbis after the time of Christ; the former is true, and the latter is false.

Christ is the sole savior of the world, which means that anyone who is saved is saved by Him.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1769802' date='Feb 2 2009, 01:09 PM']In all seriousness, I think it is clear that the SSPX statments villify the Jewish people on grounds outside of theology (which as I have said several times is completely unjust) and their newest statement just seems like semantic garbage to me. But sometimes with the tantilizing hope of Christian Unity you have to eat the semantic garbage and hope you can mold a more rational, loving mindset when they come around on the doctrinal issues which separate them from Mother Church.[/quote]

This is all true. However, we do not need to give those non-Catholics who dislike us any more fuel. They do not understand that Christian unity is more important than such personal opinions and will severely misunderstand. This can deter a lot of people from coming home to the Vatican. Furthermore, as I was reading their disturbing statements against the Jewish people, they actually tied theology into it (as if they were using Christianity to justify their slander) so it does go a little bit beyond personal opinion. It will seriously give non-Catholics the wrong impression.

[quote name='Seven77' post='1770037' date='Feb 2 2009, 05:48 PM']I don't know what 'Judaism' is but Judaism is not false. It's incomplete and misled through no fault of it's own.[/quote]

It is not simply a matter of incompleteness from my understanding. It is not as if biblical Judaism has been freeze-framed and the Jews of the 21st century practice and believe the same thing that the Temple-based Judaism of the 1st century practiced and beleived. Modern Rabbinic Judaism is a man-made adaptation of the ancient Judaism we read of in the bible. The Council of Jamnia that got rid of the Septuagint from the Jewish scripture took a decidedly anti-Christian perspective and the development of the Talmud as has been stated in previous posts in explicitly anti-christian in several places. Judaism had to REDEFINE itself following the destruction of the temple and in response to the growing Caholic Christian Church...this redefinition is man-made; NOT God-inspired and thus its doctrinal errors are heretical. It is not the inspired Judaism we read of in the Old Testament. As Apotheon stated, Christianity is the rightful and divinely-inspired inheritor of Biblical Judaism.

[quote name='HisChildForever' post='1770052' date='Feb 2 2009, 05:57 PM']This is all true. However, we do not need to give those non-Catholics who dislike us any more fuel. They do not understand that Christian unity is more important than such personal opinions and will severely misunderstand. This can deter a lot of people from coming home to the Vatican. Furthermore, as I was reading their disturbing statements against the Jewish people, they actually tied theology into it (as if they were using Christianity to justify their slander) so it does go a little bit beyond personal opinion. It will seriously give non-Catholics the wrong impression.[/quote]

I agree with you fully on this. But how are non-Catholics impressed by fractures and schismatic behavior within the 'universal' Church? It is important, in my opinion, to recognize that sometimes the disdain or disgust of those outside the Church is inevitable and that unity within the Church must be the first priority. A "house divided against itself will fall" and all that...and who wants to come ihome right before the roof comes crashing down?

If only it were a more perfect world and we could make EVERYONE happy. Somehow we're gonna irk someone. It's one of those Catch22 I think...like in the movie "The Mission" when the Cardinal says "sometimes a surgeon must cut off a hand in order to save the body of his patient."

[quote name='Apotheoun' post='1770045' date='Feb 2 2009, 05:52 PM']Christianity is the continuation and fulfillment of Biblical Judaism, while Rabbinic Judaism is the religion devised by the Rabbis after the time of Christ; the former is true, and the latter is false.

Christ is the sole savior of the world, which means that anyone who is saved is saved by Him.[/quote]

As always your brevity and concision astound my verbose sensibilities...You can say in 3 lines what it takes me a paragraph to say . Haha.

HisChildForever

[quote name='Veridicus' post='1770068' date='Feb 2 2009, 06:03 PM']But how are non-Catholics impressed by fractures and schismatic behavior within the 'universal' Church?[/quote]

If we are talking non-Catholic Christians, they probably do not recognize "fractures" per se because they [b]themselves[/b] are fractured from Catholicism; plus, they do not understand or believe in the Catholic Church as the one TRUE Church, therefore they do not see fractures as devastatingly as we do. If they have a problem with their church, they may just move on to another denomination without much thought.