An Old School Catholic Message Board

Christian = Conservative?

Wolf

[quote name='Wolf' post='1768723' date='Feb 1 2009, 05:46 PM']Does our faith align itself more closely with right or left politics?

Just wondering.[/quote]

I think the Church transcends politics. In my opinion, the left is right on some issues, the right on others. It's not about left or right, it's about what is moral. -Katie

[quote name='Wolf' post='1768730' date='Feb 1 2009, 05:50 PM']I understand.

Tried to add a poll to this, but it wouldn't work for some reason.[/quote]

Hmmm I'm not sure how to do that either but I bet someone will come along soon who does! -Katie

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1768726' date='Feb 1 2009, 02:49 PM']I think the Church transcends politics.[/quote]
I agree.

I don't think that people should apply political terms (right / left, conservative / liberal) to the Church.

Edited by Apotheoun

[quote name='Tinkerlina' post='1768726' date='Feb 1 2009, 05:49 PM']I think the Church transcends politics. In my opinion, the left is right on some issues, the right on others. It's not about left or right, it's about what is moral. -Katie[/quote]
Agree. For instance, the GOP is more-or-less in line with the Church on the issue of Abortion, but may be more inline with the Democratic Party on the issues of the death penalty or aid of the poor.
It's my humble opinion that both parties stink, but that's just me. ;)

cmotherofpirl

[quote name='Wolf' post='1768723' date='Feb 1 2009, 05:46 PM']Does our faith align itself more closely with right or left politics?

Just wondering.[/quote]
Neither, we align ourselves with the Magisterium of the Church.

Father Sirico of The Acton Institute mentioned in an interview when the question of labels came up that The Church isn't interested in "liberal" or "conservative," but is rather interested in "orthodoxy" or "heterodoxy."

And Father Corapi points out during his talks that "you can fall of the boat port or staboard... left or right. And either way you're going to be in the water with the sharks."

Galloglasses' Alt

The Church is not political, however I have been driven into Conservative waters politically, (and socially), because of her Teachings. But I guess thats circumstantial with the country and society I live in.

As far as economics go, both the right and left could be considered in line with our faith. Within reason, of course. Within reason though, it's up to personal opinion.
Personally I'm fairly 'classical liberal' free market type.
Social issues are trickier. :P

[quote name='Lounge Daddy' post='1768915' date='Feb 1 2009, 08:16 PM']And Father Corapi points out during his talks that "you can fall of the boat port or staboard... left or right. And either way you're going to be in the water with the sharks."[/quote]

Rock on Fr. Corapi! :smokey: